PDA

View Full Version : Problems after Transgo install

91_SC_BIRD
10-10-2004, 10:50 PM
I've just installed a transgo shift kit, the install wasn't too bad (except for the mess of fluid!!). I put it in drive, and take off and it decides to shift to second at like 3500 rpm... when it was still in drive (still in first) and let off the throttle, the rpm's would come back down to like 1100 (like its not catching at all) until i would get on the gas and then it would catch again in first... I went on the highway, it shifted to third at around 3500rpm too, but never went into OD. I let the car sit for like 2 hours, then when i took it out again, it would not shift into second, so I'm stuck in first right now(well reverse works fine). I was wondering if I need to re-adjust the TV cable on the trans?

Jeremy_K
10-11-2004, 12:16 AM
that's more than likely your problem. you should bring it to a shop and have them adjust it for safety's sake.

Shockwave
10-11-2004, 12:58 AM
Something is wrong don't wait or drive it far. Did you torque the valvebody bolts in the correct pattern?

David Neibert
10-11-2004, 09:10 AM
I don't think adjusting the TV cable is going to fix the problem. Sorry but it sounds like something was done wrong when installing the shift kit.

David

91_SC_BIRD
10-11-2004, 09:19 AM
Unfortunatly that what i think too.. BTW I don't have the standard transgo shift kit, I have the AOD-Hp reprogramming kit... well, I'll pull the pan and then vavle body and check it out :( .Am I right by assuming that if the TV cable was set properly, that I would not need to re-adjust?

Thanks for the response!

David Neibert
10-11-2004, 09:33 AM
Unfortunatly that what i think too.. BTW I don't have the standard transgo shift kit, I have the AOD-Hp reprogramming kit... well, I'll pull the pan and then vavle body and check it out :( .Am I right by assuming that if the TV cable was set properly, that I would not need to re-adjust?

Thanks for the response!

Correct, but it doesn't hurt to double check it. I always set mine as tight as possible without restricting wide open throttle. Also make sure the grommet that holds the TV cable to the TB linkage is good and tight. If the cable falls off, that's when your tranny really gets hurt.

If your not comfortable doing it, take it to a transmission shop and let them do it right using the test ports and pressure gauges.

David

AnnivSpeCpe
10-11-2004, 01:33 PM
If the TV cable was adjusted properly before the kit was installed it should be good now. If you are sure you followed the directions "to a t", I would suspect an improperly torqued valve body, as Shockwave mentioned. Proper torquing is CRITICAL, as well as a perfectly flat valve body. If the VB is warped or torqued unevenly you will get cross leaks causing all kinds of shifting problems. Do a search for a long thread titled "aod tranny experts". In there you will find tons of valuable info by MIKE 38sc. Good luck, John