Ran out of gas and car not the same N.E. more

scbird94

I have a 94 SC 3.8sc 5spd and yesterday i was coming home from a party and the gas stations were closed, so i made it home just fine.. on my way to the gas station the next morning before school, i ran out just as i was pulling up to the pump. I filled up with 93 and started it up and now it doesent run the same.

It idles fine, as soon as you get any amount of boost though it dogs way down as if someone cut the air off to the motor... almost as if it were running out of gas.

Also check engine light comes on when motor dogs down under boost.

I was thinking the fuel pressure regulator? could that be possible? Motor is fresh rebuild from ford 6000 miles ago with 102000 on chassis

I let motor idle til it reached ok temp after i filled up and temp here is about 60 deg right now.

Dylan Roth
94 sc
94 lx
95 Sonoma HighRider

If you ran it all the way down to empty you could have sucked some kind of debris into the system-possibly from the filter./ what can happen is that contaminants in the filter can fall free, then be sucked into the lines to cause all kinds of havoc.

So, yeah, the fuel regulator may be the problem.

filter

The first thing you should do is definately the fuel filter, a quick 8$ fix...as long as you have the stupid tool that was incorporated in 91+ fuel fittings intot he filter. Try cheap stuff first, then try the fuel pump...the pump is not too hard of a job and if it ran low you could have gotten debris from the bottom of the tank in the stainer or through the line. Unless it is a big coincidence that something else broke too, check your crank sensor and pull codes.

Let us know how it goes.

Aaron

Bigme574 said:
The first thing you should do is definately the fuel filter, a quick 8$ fix...as long as you have the stupid tool that was incorporated in 91+ fuel fittings intot he filter. Try cheap stuff first, then try the fuel pump...the pump is not too hard of a job and if it ran low you could have gotten debris from the bottom of the tank in the stainer or through the line. Unless it is a big coincidence that something else broke too, check your crank sensor and pull codes.

Let us know how it goes.

Aaron

Is the fuel pump in the tank? Ive never dropped a tank before... how dificult can i expect it to be

The fuel filter is under the pass seat underbody not in the tank. Do you think that the gas you filled up with could have some water in it? I would change my filter and put some gas treatment in before doing any major work like dropping the tank. When you see the low fuel light come on, it means you have about 50miles to add more fuel and that your fuel pump is overworking itself. If you don't have enough cash to at least make the light go out, you should thing about parking the car until you do because it will be a lot cheaper. good luck

MY CARS LIKE THAT TOO!!!
it took 15 gallons so it was low now half way through this tank today it started dogging and shutting off at lights and stop signs and its jerking like it wants to go but it cant, i floored it for the hell of it and it didnt go

My money is on the pump. Mine went out on my 94 at 85k. Still let the engine run but not well. As a rule of thumb never let any vehicle run out of gas= bad

Back