Pwr. Windows Issue

HHHthegame

Ok, both of my pwr. windows won't roll down. They didn't when I got the car and then all the sudden the drivers window rolled down once???? It appears off track too, cause the glass slides weird, to the side and in the middle of the door. But the passenger window won't roll down or up with either switch? Any ideas, could it just be a fuse or something??? Thanks again!!!!

Id say its most likely the plastic bushings inside the motor that have deteriorated. Theres a kit for sale with the new bushings for like $5. I had ground down 3 nuts and it worked as well. Some people replace them with nylon dowels. your best off taking the motor out for examination anyways while you put the window back on track. Then you will know for sure. It only takes a few minutes to get the motor out and apart.
Good luck,
Tom

one of the plastic clips that holds the window on the bottom may be broken. that would cause the window to go down uneven.

In the fuse box under the dash, swap circuit breaker #1 with one of the other two identical ones.
Check or replace your power window switches, especially the driver's side.

Take the door panel off, I removed the speaker, then remove the 3 bolts holding the motor, and remove motor. Then there is a u clip holding the motor together. It's been over a year since I did it, but it is pretty straight forward, though it took me a couple min to figure out the little u clip.
Once opened up there were 1000's of bits of the plastic which I washed out with wd40.
Heres the thread I put up after the job. Window repair
Tom

Ok, I checked and swapped the fuses for the windows and nothing.... If it's the regulators wouldn't there still be some sorta noise you could hear? Cause there is no nosie at all, its just like dead switches. How do you go about changing the switches on a SuperChicken, and about how much for new ones or would junk yard switches work? Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!

Oh

I didnt realize that there was not noise. If it were the "regulators" there would be the sound of a working motor but without any movement.
Sorry to steer you wrong.
Tom

You can open out the switches and clean them or buy ones from the junkyard as long as they have not been out in the rain.
Take out the cover piece that surrounds the switches. It may have a screw at the front end. If it doesn't, then it is a push fit and you need to pull up on the front end. I've assumed that you have an 89-93.
Next pull out the switch from the base piece that has all the wires. The drivers side is a double switch.
Finally use small screwdrivers or similar tools to separate the two parts of the switch.

Hmm... non tech forum....

go to www.mn12performance.com and look at the kit that Rich sells to repair the window motor drive that fails due to the coupling for the motor to the gear shaft. (It won't fix it if it's an actual electrical motor problem)

He has a good writeup on the replacement of the part linked there that will help you.

It takes no more than 5 minutes to remove the door panel and get at the motor. There is info there on how to do this as well. It's simple...dimple, just be careful with the plastic trim parts.

Or if you are a member here there is a writeup I did in the member area FAQ section.

Its a '95 SC. So after you pull off the door trim inside, then you remove the switch? And I'm looking for wires that are in the door to the switch? Is there a chance that the wire problem is in the wiring before the door? Like the wires in the black sleeve still on the main body? I guess i don't see what you mean about the switches being cleaned? Any thoughts or pics to point me @????? Thanks Again Guys!

You may have a wiring problem inside or before the door. Maybe someone who has the diagrams for a 95 can help you with that.
The switches for an 89-93 are shown in the attachment. Yours are somewhat similar. You need to either check them with an ohmmeter or open and clean them (open up the part that's in the picture).

Attachments

• switches.jpg
    switches.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 74
So basically just crack the switch in half and clean off the connections, etc:? If it is the wiring at fault, anyone know abouts where these like to fail, or how to test the wiring? Thanks so much for the help guys!!!!

Yes, crack open the switch and clean the contacts.
Verify that you have 12v and ground at the drivers side switch . The passengers side only has a 12v wire.

The crooked window could be.....

Sometimes the clip that holds the glass to the track does'nt break it seperates. Glue it back to the glass with five minute epoxy. It works great.

Back