MAF Problem? Need help in Germany!

Steve

Guys,
I've got a 90 SC with 148K on it and am stationed in Germany. Need some help. Three days ago when I shut down my Bird at the end of the engine wind down a got this loud 'moan' from the engine. With some help from a neighbor, I believe we tracked it down to the MAF or MAF Sensor. It retained a high idle 1200rpm and then would idle irratically. Two days before this started I cleaned & reoiled my K&N Box filter. Is it possible I used too much oil & that got sucked onto the sampling tubes and is affecting the MAF? If so, do you think I can just clean it or will the sensor now need to be replaced?. If replacement is the answer I'd like to update the entire MAF intake system. I've already freed up the exhaust and rebuilt the upper engine (head gaskets) so I should be safe in adding to the front end. Any suggestions for an upgrade kit etc. for a 90 SC? Appreciate the assistance!

By the way, I know why this car was loved by NASCAR! It runs great and is quiet at 130!

From what I have read, your symptoms sound more like the Idle Air Control unit. These usually create the howling noise heard after shutdown, and a number of posts have had similar symptoms with that as the result.

My tech manual doesn't show an IAC on the SC engine for 1990....is it called something else?

Re: I.A.C.

Steve, the I.A.C. valve is for Idle Air Control. It's located on the side of the throttle body by the throttle position sensor.
When the diaphram in it rips, your idle will be very high and a "honking" sound is usually heard when you turn off your car, hope this helps, Steve

Yup

Im with all of them!! Happened to be also. Made the moan or "honking" when it shut off. Only I had to replace it from fords directley because the ones or one from the aftermarket places such as murrays...autozone..napa...or wherever are manufactured backwards or so it seems and will not fit on our cars! So keep that in mind when your gettin a new one.

K&N Oil

It is possible that you got too much oil into the intake. If it was dripping then thats to much. Before you start tossing cash at it, try spraying some intake cleaner at the wires in the MAF and IAC also clean out the rubber intake tube and soak up the excess K&N oil with a clean shop cloth. While its idling, spray some at each of your intake & IC connections to make sure that your spanner nut or IC joints have not backed off and leaking.

I agree. Les Borda is having this same problem. He said it sounds like there is a Canadian goose under his hood on shut-down. From what I hear, this is a common problem. He is also experiencing sparatic idle conditions at times.

If you get stuck, Les knows his stuff. Les.Borda@Compaq.com

Back