This fell out of my transmission. What is it?

Callmewhitexr7

The other day my tranny broke and I noticed this on the ground today. It was laying at the rear of the tranny in a pile of fluid. This piece is rubber, and looks the same as the sline on the driveshaft yoke. I haven't actually gotten underneath the car to look at the tranny, but i do know its leaking alot of fluid, and i can shift through all the gears with the car running and not pushing in on the clutch. also when i shift it into gear the speedometer works. I need all the help i can get. Thanks everyone.

Pict0010.jpg

Pict0009.jpg

Pict0008.jpg

Most of ford's trannies are shipped to the factory filled with the proper level of fluid in them. To keep the fluid in, sealing plugs are on the output shaft and the hole for the dipstick tube (on AOD family). IF you dropped the pan you would also find a plastic 'mushroom' with an 'o' ring in it. Both items are just pushed into the trans upon installation. Keeps the assembly lines moving fast and clean. It is not necessary to put it back on the shaft.

I think what must have happened is that the rear seal came out, and allowed the plug to come out, but that is just speculation. I think you have serious problems that you need to address. I would guess that you would find what is left of the seal on the driveshaft and the tail housing of the trans is probably damaged, either the seal area and/or the bushing area that holds the front of the driveshaft stable. The part you have though is definitely the rubber plug that they use to keep the fluid in, in the plant during assembly. The only way it could come out the trans is either a LARGE hole in the case (very bad deal) or through the rear seal area.

LOL thanks for the help, I took the tranny out the other day and the whole tail section was broken off the tranny the only thing left was the shifter and the part its bolted to. It also snapped the output shaft in half.

NICK

Back