Non-ARC Shock conversion?

k2k2

Hello all!
Has anyone replaced their ARC shocks with KYB, Bilsteins, or any other high-quality, non-adjustable shock? I need new shocks, but always ran my car in the "firm" setting anyway, so, what's the point of spending over $500 on Tokico Illuminas, or stock replacement at nearly $800? Believe it or not, even though the Tire Rack people offer a KYB conversion shock, all they can tell me is that it requires "Extensive Vehicle Modification"! So I called KYB, and THEY don't even know what is needed! SCary! LOL! Anyway, I'm sure somebody out there has done this- and I'm not afraid of cutting or welding a shock body or something, I just don't want to buy a different sway bar or something that will reduce the performance of the car and cost a lot of money, too. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks, SCott H. (k2k2)

New Shocks

Hi, I have replaced my stock electronic adjustable shocks with Koni adjustables, the rears are bolt on, if you consider replaceing rear shocks bolt on,. the fronts require you to cut off the top of your old strut & drill a hole in the bottom of the strut & bolt the Koni insert in your old strut. It is not too diffucult a job, except for a little work to cut the strut. Good luck. Tom Keenan, 1990 5 speed SC

Thanks for the reply, Tom!
I just checked Koni's site. They had a instruction pdf on how the cartridge is fitted inside the stock strut as you described. It seems that most manufacturers do not have this cartridge configuration, and offer only a whole strut for standard t-birds that will not work with the top mount on SC's. I hate to be cheap, but at over $500 for a set, I'd much prefer a high quality non-adjustable if I can find something that will work. Bilstein is a no-go, as is KYB. I may just be forced to get off my wallet for the 'Bird once again! (New supercharger, all new A/C system and radiator, exhaust, etc., etc.) Ha ha! Happy SCiing! Scott :eek: :cool:

Last edited:
I got Bilsteins on my '95. I love them. Paid $330 at SHOX. No more blinking FIRM RIDE light and no more clicking relays behind the backseat. Firm, smooth, tight, well-controlled ride with no harshness. I would do it again.

Thanks for the reply, WestCoast!
Im going to call Shox tomorrow. When I called Bilstein, they said they had no fronts for the SC! Mass confusion, or is the '90 different than the '95? Probably not. I am wondering if you had to cut your stock strut as did Tomansusan for the Koni conversion. Thanks again, SCott (k2k2)

On my '95 they were a direct bolt-on. Looking at the SHOX receipt, the part #'s are: Front- B46-1505 @89 bucks apiece, Rear- B46-1506 @ 75.50 apiece. Total was $329.00 plus another 13.00 bucks for shipping. I made the purchase in mid-May so the prices should still be close. Again, these shocks really took the harshness out of the ride. But remember, the SC fits everyone's fanny differently. What feels great to you can feel like feces to the next guy.

Hey Westcoast! I'm also looking to dump ARC and have been looking at Bilstien, I have a few questions. Do you use the front SC top mount on the Bilstiens? Could you please describe the ride feel with the Bilstiens? Thanks.

Just in case...

Dan Newman at Five Star Ford in Scottsdale can get you the originals for a bit over $400 ($404 if I remember right). Just a thought! He is fast honest and the price is always right.

Anthony

Yeah I know Dan, He's a great guy and a world of help. I buy all my Ford stuff from him. I just want to get rid of the ARC, its just too gimicky and something else to go wrong. Now if I could find out all the parts I need I will get rid of the biggest gimick of all ABS BRAKES!!!! I hate those things! The engineer that came up with that crappy Tieves unit should be shot out into space headed straight for the sun!

Hmm, from what I've looked at, the electronically adjustable shocks are one of the more reliable systems on the SC. The actuators are very simple devices, they will report when they fail and in general the system works well.

The ABS system is also very reliable but it certainly doesn't meet the life expectancy of the rest of the car. It really is a 80k mile unit. But of course, ABS on American cars was very new when that system came out. Thus the limited options to Ford. But other than cost, the system is quite simple to service and repair. And ABS really works great when you are running hard and need to stop quick.

Mike 38SC-

I had the shocks mounted by a shop. I can tell you that they come with new top rubber and a lower spring perch. As for the ride, it feels to me to fall somewhere between the stock normal and firm ride sttings on the ARC. Probably a little more toward the firm side. If you want a hard ride, this is the wrong shock. The ride is very well controlled and compliant with no harshness at all. The handling both around town and on the highway is firm but not hard. The ARC was nothing but a headache for me. I am happy with this choice of shock.

WestCoastGhost said:
Mike 38SC-

I had the shocks mounted by a shop. I can tell you that they come with new top rubber and a lower spring perch. As for the ride, it feels to me to fall somewhere between the stock normal and firm ride sttings on the ARC. Probably a little more toward the firm side. If you want a hard ride, this is the wrong shock. The ride is very well controlled and compliant with no harshness at all. The handling both around town and on the highway is firm but not hard. The ARC was nothing but a headache for me. I am happy with this choice of shock.
Wow you could tell a difference between firm and normal with the ARC? I never could! and besides that I could'nt flick the switch and set it on firm, it just stayed in the automatic mode. Oh it would switch into firm when I would drive aggresively, but there was no difference in ride. Now before everybody starts giving trouble shooting advise, I have gone through the entire system everything checks out OK! No shorts no malfunctioning actuators no bad switch's no bad ARC computer. Just a crappy,gimicky system I have no use for. Westcoast the Bilstein's sound pretty good to me, unless something changes thats what I will get for my SC. Thanks.

If you don't notice a difference, then it's likely your shocks have failed.

Probably the biggest change is noticed in the rebound. I.E. go over a railroad track with it in firm and there is a noticable difference from not firm. (Firm goes thud..thud..thud, soft goes smooth..smooth..smooth)

Go down the highway at 90 not in firm and the car feels floaty. Put it in firm and it tightens right up.

That's how it's supposed to work, when it's working. If it's not working on your car, and you prefer a firm ride always then go with new shocks. Though if you like to have firm at the track, smooth on the road, manually adjustable Koni's might be better.

I want to get involved in some Autocross next year and am highly considering adjustable Koni's to replace my stock shocks when the time comes.

KYB does have shocks that will fit and eliminiate the ARC. they are not AGX's, just GR2's.. probably about a stock replacement firmness.. probably what i am going to get because my stock ARC shocks are shot and i dont have the $$ to shell out on good ones.. so just something better than blown ones is what i am after

How do the Koni adjustables work?

For the rears do they have a knob you turn or what?
What about the fronts?

Thanks!

For the 89-97 T-Bird / Cougar, the only Konis available are the yellow "Sport" units, these are externally adjustable at the top of the shock with a plastic knob that goes on to make the change in setting. So just pop the hood to do the fronts, and on the rear pop your trunk, and move the liner out of the way to access the top of the rear shocks.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

thanks everybody

Thank you all for your help! Leaning strongly toward the Bilsteins. Always wanted some for my 280zx, but only had the money for Boge's (Whatever happened to them?!) Nothing seems to be too good for my 'bird. The 'bird is bad for my wallet, but good for my sanity...Cheers, Scott

Back