Half Shafts

acb92sc

Im in need of some advice- My CV shaft blew( Grease splattered all over, about 2" of play in inner joint)- I had extras, but the boot is ripped and i dont want to take a chance w/ it. I contacted Raxles, but all they have is the $250 ea/ performance-- more than i need. Are the ones from Autozone, NAPA, etc good enough to support the planned 350HP/450TQ after this winter? If not, does any one have GOOD used ones for sale? Its apart now, and i really want it back together so i can proceed to my motor. Thanx for any help. Adam B

i have found that it is better to buy the best, especially if you are planning on producing a few extra ponies, I'd recommend getting the nie ones, instead of buying a couple that you arent so sure about, and could possibly break again...my .02

Fat Shafts

You could buy a couple of used Fat Shafts, but again, you'd have used axles. It would probably cost as much to rebuild your axles (or Fat Shafts), as it would just to bite the bullet & step up to RAXLES.

We're starting to see CV joint failures, but at what mileage? You might be able to get a pr. of OEM axles from ford. They'll probably last as long as your originals did.

I went with the $500/pr. RAXLES, & never looked back. Just one more thing that I know will never break. If it does, RAXLES will replace it FREE!!!!!!! Will Ford do that?

68COUGAR

Raxles are crap since Ford stop supplying them with parts, don't buy them expecting them to be stronger than stock (I think they are actually weaker). The stock shafts are plenty strong for 350 rwhp as are the replacement that are sold by Autozone and Advanced Auto.

I've heard that the Mrk 8 replacement shafts are stronger than SC shafts, but don't have any personal experince, because I'm still using the stock halfshafts on both my SCs.

David

Which RAXLES?

Cobrarthunder said:
RAXLES break...i have 3 of them to prove it, and two times were on the street.
Were they the OLD RAXLES or the NEW RAXLES? The Old ones used Ford CV joints. When Ford shut off their supply of CV joints, RAXLES started using cheaper CV joints. What broke, the CV joint or the shaft? What hp/TQ level are you at? Was there wheel hop involved?

Curious 68COUGAR

Last edited:
i have broken bothe the inner CV and the outter CV (x2)...the last time the axle broke I got a ford CV outter when rales sent it back to me. The inner on the right side is a raxle part, as well as the inner/outer on the left shaft that just broke.

If you search back on old posts, the breaking of RAXLES at sc shoutout events didn't involve wheel hop. Inspection of the failed part showed signs of possible hardening issues with the steel.

Never heard anything from anyone before that delt with Raxles on issues with the shafts.

Have heard of no current better replacement than what you can get from Autozone... and those aren't all that good.

Make sure you have a good wheel bearing and the knuckle is in good shape before replacing the shaft. A questonable wheel bearing, or excess movement of the bearing in the knuckle can contribute to failure of the outer stub shaft on the axle.

I have some markVIII shafts for sale. PM me if you are interested, or you could check the local boneyards for some yourself.
Alan

Dirtyd0g said:
I have some markVIII shafts for sale. PM me if you are interested, or you could check the local boneyards for some yourself.
Alan

Alan,

Are they a direct replacement for the SC shafts, including the ABS ring ?

David

Anyone have any suggestions for something that would support 450+ RWHP for our cars? I mean if Raxles is starting to use cheaper CV joints, is there anyone that makes better stuff, or that would be willing to develop something for us?

joshbea6 said:
Anyone have any suggestions for something that would support 450+ RWHP for our cars? I mean if Raxles is starting to use cheaper CV joints, is there anyone that makes better stuff, or that would be willing to develop something for us?
There sure is.
I would have to find the company that I talked to, but they would make some level 5 axles for our cars that would support 1000+ HP.
But the axles were $1700 for the pair, or $1600 for 10+ people.

I can find the info if need be?

Considering one of my half shafts needs replaced and now seeing this thread I did a little research and the MK 8 halfshafts are actually $5.00 cheaper at Autozone and Napa, they do carry different part numbers and I assue that all MK-8's had ABS? If they are a better quality unit and $5.00 cheaper I will definatly get them!

I am using stock SC replacements from Advance Auto. they have held up to hundreds of trans-braked launches with no failures. I am actually very surprised on how well they are doing!

Ok I'll let the cat out of the bag!

Guys, I've been running the Level 5 Cobra axles for two months. You need to switch over to a 31 spline diff to make it work though. The MN12 axles assembled length is 5/8" longer than the 03 Cobra axle. This length can be made up in setting the assembled length a little longer on a stock Cobra axle. On the Level 5 axles it's a matter of assembling the inner tri pod like a stock cobra axle instead of the way the Drive Shaft shop does the Cobra setup. I've done a couple sets.

I need to see if the inner 28 spline MN12 tri pod joint will mate to the stock Cobra half shaft. If it does This would be another avenue for a upgrade. If you are rebuilding the rear anyway, swapping to a 31 spline diff is not to expensive, and a set of new 03 Cobra axles is about the same cost as a set of Raxles.

Mike.....

David Neibert said:
Kevin,

Is your car back together and running again ?

David
I finially got everything back from AJE after 2 wrong K-members and 1 wrong set of struts. hopefully a couple of weeks.

I'd beware of markVIII shafts from alot of places as most people belive they are the same as standard thunderbird axles. From what I have been told the markVIII axles have a better outer section where they connect to the wheel bearing and I know for sure that they are slightly thicker than standard thunderbird axles.
Alan

Back