Supercharger Pulley - Big problems

Thunderbird84

In an attempt to remove the S/C pulley, I used a 3 prong pulley puller. To make a long story short, the threaded end of the shaft that comes out of the snout split in half. Does anyone sell these new? Or does anyone here have one that they are willing to sell to me? I've also got a boatload of stuff if anyone is willing to trade.

Bob

Damn it split! Wow that sucks. Did you atleast get the pulley off? How did you get the shaft to break like that?

Shane

Horrific photo attached

quick35th said:
Damn it split! Wow that sucks. Did you atleast get the pulley off? How did you get the shaft to break like that?

Shane

Yup the pulley came off by the time I got done with the thing. The shaft broke when the pulley nut wasn't positioned close enough to the end of the shaft and the pulley puller just snapped it like a twig.

Attachments

• DSC00118.JPG
    DSC00118.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 169
Thunderbird84 said:
Yup the pulley came off by the time I got done with the thing. The shaft broke when the pulley nut wasn't positioned close enough to the end of the shaft and the pulley puller just snapped it like a twig.

www.texasthunderbirds.com

Wynn, will hook you up. He has a snout rebuild kit that includes the shaft.

XR7 Dave said:
Actually, I think you are going to be looking for another blower or at least a replacement nose section. No one is currently making new shafts.

My bad, the picture show the shaft, but if I would have learned to read, it only says seals and bearings. Thanks for correcting me Dave.

Pulling Pulleys

Thunderbird84 said:
In an attempt to remove the S/C pulley, I used a 3 prong pulley puller. To make a long story short, the threaded end of the shaft that comes out of the snout split in half.
There is a right & wrong way to use a 3 prong puller.

The wrong way is to hook it up & try to pull the pulley off. This may result in a warped pulley.

The correct way is to hook it up. Snug it up. Then give the puller 1/2 a turn. Then let it sit for 20-30 min. Then give it another 1/2 turn. Let it sit for 20-30 min. Keep doing that until the pulley moved freely. This way, you are not Forcing the pulley off, you're letting the tension do it's work & slowly slide the pulley off.

Dunno what which method you used, BUT most people seem to try the INcorrect method first.

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
There is a right & wrong way to use a 3 prong puller.

The wrong way is to hook it up & try to pull the pulley off. This may result in a warped pulley.

The correct way is to hook it up. Snug it up. Then give the puller 1/2 a turn. Then let it sit for 20-30 min. Then give it another 1/2 turn. Let it sit for 20-30 min. Keep doing that until the pulley moved freely. This way, you are not Forcing the pulley off, you're letting the tension do it's work & slowly slide the pulley off.

Dunno what which method you used, BUT most people seem to try the INcorrect method first.

68COUGAR

Hmm, I think I used a hybrid of the right and wrong ways (which was ultimately wrong). I do have another supercharger, but I'd rather not rip that one apart. I'll make a post in the Wanted section.

Last edited:
BT Motorsports said:
New shafts are available, however, it will be about the same cost for you to purchase a new snout or complete blower.

Paul

I put up a note in the Wanted section. Someone has to have a dead supercharger laying around somewhere that they can snag a shaft out of.

Hi All.
Take the shaft to a machinist shop and get them to put in a bolt ?
If this won't weaken the shaft to much ? (spelling?) :)
Vidar.

blower

My buddy and I are about to take off his bearing-noise-making SC and put his spare on...he may have a shaft to sell, but he would probably want your old broken one incase he uses it as a core later on....

I dont see how that would split so quick....I used a 2 jaw puller on mine, and braced the back of the pully under the jaws with 2 1/4 inch box wrenches. It allowed for a lot of surface area pull, and the room to use to wrenches, so I can see how a 3 jaw will actually get less surface area than a 2 if you use it with a brace like I did. Good luck, and contact my buddy...he is on the posts a lot too..but here is his email: cessna158@netscape.net

Aaron

Here is what I did

I was trying to fix my SC nose seal on my XR7 and I put the pulley back on. When I tightened the nut down I used an impact tool. REAL DUMB!!! I forgot I had it set on high torque and twisted the threaded end right off. Aw, ****!!!!! So what to do now. I ground the end smooth where the threaded part twisted off. I then, very carefully, drilled a hole about 1.50 inches deep in the end of the shaft and tapped it for a 5/16-24 bolt. I then put the pulley back on, put a normal flat washer and a lock washer on the bolt and tightened the bolt. The bolt does not have to be real tight as you know since it only holds the pulley on the shaft. In other words there is no load on the bolt. I ran it like that for 30,000 miles with no problems until I replaced it with a 94 blower.

Hope this helps!

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, UD Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73mm CL MAF (Blue Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under-drive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76mm CL MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Pro-Torque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 LB-FT Torque.

In this particular application, there is already a stress fracture continuing beyond the length of the visible crack. As a result, this shaft should not be reused or have a repair attempt made on it. Improper stress relief during the treating process often causes issues like this.

Paul

EDIT: Crazy theory rejected moments after I posted it.

Bigme574 - are you talking about just sending him the shaft as a core? Or the whole blower?

Last edited:
In response I must restate:
In this particular application, there is already a stress fracture continuing beyond the length of the visible crack.
Do you really want to try to bandaid a part of your car that is turning over 14,000 RPM and hope it does not break?

Paul

BT Motorsports said:
In response I must restate:

Do you really want to try to bandaid a part of your car that is turning over 14,000 RPM and hope it does not break?

Paul

Nope, I decided to do it the right way moments after I posted my last comment. I'm harvesting the donor shaft from my other blower as we speak - and correctly using a pulley puller this time. :D

Thanks Wynn

I ordered the necessary parts to rebuild the snout, and got them today. Thanks Wynn. Now to go in search of a press...

Back