New Car = Problems and Qeustions

Dirk SC

My car was idling a little funny and stalling sometimes so a few days ago I replaced the cam sensor. Car ran fine for a couple of days then some of my buddy’s came over to look the car and I started it up and gave it a little rev then shut it down.

This is where the problems started. The next day my car started running like crap. It is definitely missing badly and it is backfiring constantly. I checked all the plug wires and nothing is loose. Messed around with any other wires I saw and all were plugged in. It is also leaving black marks on the driveway (see pic) but it had done this before it was running bad.

When I bought the car the engine was said to have 15000km on the rebuilt engine but a valve seal had gone (SCCoWC car so I believe the guy). The valve seal turned out to be an oil ring and I put some Lucas in it hoping it would seat. Hasn’t happened yet but when it started running really bad I put a new spark plug in and the problem persisted. It’s going in to the mechanic soon but I thought maybe you guys could help. There is a pic of my cam sensor housing, some loose stuff on drivers side that im not sure of, and exhaust marks.

Dirk SC said:
My car was idling a little funny and stalling sometimes so a few days ago I replaced the cam sensor. Car ran fine for a couple of days then some of my buddy’s came over to look the car and I started it up and gave it a little rev then shut it down.

This is where the problems started. The next day my car started running like crap. It is definitely missing badly and it is backfiring constantly. I checked all the plug wires and nothing is loose. Messed around with any other wires I saw and all were plugged in. It is also leaving black marks on the driveway (see pic) but it had done this before it was running bad.

When I bought the car the engine was said to have 15000km on the rebuilt engine but a valve seal had gone (SCCoWC car so I believe the guy). The valve seal turned out to be an oil ring and I put some Lucas in it hoping it would seat. Hasn’t happened yet but when it started running really bad I put a new spark plug in and the problem persisted. It’s going in to the mechanic soon but I thought maybe you guys could help. There is a pic of my cam sensor housing, some loose stuff on drivers side that im not sure of, and exhaust marks.

The middle picture looks like a heater hose not connected to the metal pipe that runs along the drivers side valve cover. Are the O2 sensors plugged in?

It looks to me like somebody that didn't know what they were doing made a mess of things.

You have your work cut out to get everything straightened out.

Jerry

Back