I need to pull a motor in a junkyard

ChiScouter

I came across a 93 SC in a boneyard. I would like to pull the engine this weekend as easily as possible. I searched here about pulling engines, but only found 4 threads directly on the subject. I am not at all familiar with Tbirds or the SC models, but I spent a half hour crawling over and under the car today trying to figure the best way to get it out. I am a pretty decent wrench, I have pulled a LT1 from an impala in a yard in about 2 hours, and numerous engines from 4x4's. This is much tighter than those pulls.

Would there be any benefit from dropping the whole subframe and bringing the engine out from below?

would it be easier to pull the engine with the trans(auto) attached?

I read here that I need to remove a wiper motor cover for top clearance, and possibly the PS pump to access the engine mounts, What else?

Remember the car in in a boneyard and Im not trying to do this without damaging the car itself which will be crushed within a week or 2

Aide from the engine and related plumbing what other parts are SC specific and considered valuable?

Its not too difficult a job to do. it was the first motor i ever pulled and i did it in pretty good time with no problems.
the wiper assembly and bezel does not need to be removed, i did it without taking it off, and the p/s doesnt have to come off either. you can access the motor mounts fine without removing the pump or pulley. however, if your gonna pull the tranny out with the engine you might need to remove the wiper assmbly. i think it would be easier to remove the engine without the tranny, but if you want to tranny too, might as well do it all at once. i managed to install the tranny(5sp)/engine as one unit with the assembly in and i broke a piece of the plastic bezel. but if you dont care about that anyway it shouldnt be a problem. also make sure that youve got the car good and high in the air, cause that things gotta come out completely verticle with the tranny attachted.

Once you get the starter and exhaust down you can access the bolts for the trany from underneath. Pull the rad. and undo the motor mount bolts a few ac lines, unplug the wires and pull her out. Pull tq. covert with the motor.
I won`t have any spare time this weekend as Im going to be doing some motor pulling myself as it looks. Good luck

In a salvage yard? I'd pull the subframe and lift the car off the engine/trans combo. Pull the rear diff, pull the trans mount remove bolts holding the subframe on and drop it all out the bottom. Then seperate the engine and trans once you have it out.

Back