EEC Tuner not responding

Slysc

My car was a no start for a while until I unplugged my EEC tuner, now it starts up and idles smooth with the stock EEC.

The tuner won't respond to my PC "no tuner board detected".

Is it dead? can it be revived? Does anyone know a computer geek who could fix somthing like this?

Slysc said:
My car was a no start for a while until I unplugged my EEC tuner, now it starts up and idles smooth with the stock EEC.

The tuner won't respond to my PC "no tuner board detected".

Is it dead? can it be revived? Does anyone know a computer geek who could fix somthing like this?

Have you emailed the guys at shiftmaster about it? They will tell you straight up but I think your tuner might be dead. :(

If you're not too nervous you can try desoldering the 7805 regulator that comes with the board and soldering on a new one. They run <$5 from radioshack and should only take a few minutes of your time.

if THAT doesnt do it check your ribbon cable for cracks and of course the obligatory "clean your contacts" advice.

Can you get any pictures of it up ?

DMX, I'll try the 7805 regulator thing from radio shack and check it over real good. Thanks for the insight.

If it's dead, I guess my options are to run with the stock EECIV like the guy who whooped me at the shootout, buy a SCT Racer Package and a LM1 Wideband 02 and datalogger, or get a chip burned. Considering that my wife and 8 kids have been eating ramen noodles and off brand macaroni and cheese all summer so I could go to the shootout, any option that involves spending money will probably be delayed until tax return time.

I could post this add in the classifieds: ''Parting out dead tuner, Chip= $75, board= $25, diagnostic port connector= $10 misc. electronic thingys= $5 ea.
'

:D

DMX,

I'm lookin at this thing and I don't see anything that I could recognize as a "7805 regulator". Are you messin with me? Is that like the electronic equivalent of muffler bearings or headlight fluid?

Slysc said:
DMX,

I'm lookin at this thing and I don't see anything that I could recognize as a "7805 regulator". Are you messin with me? Is that like the electronic equivalent of muffler bearings or headlight fluid?

If yours is a 5.2 board it may say "LM78M05CT" . I was told by shiftmaster that if it goes bad it can burn up other parts of the board. Still worth a shot replacing it though.

Looking at the pic below its on the UPPER LEFT, ignore the damaged chip I highlighted, that was from years ago when I ended up getting one of a bad batch of boards. The 7805 should be the only "large" 3 pin IC on that board, and XR7 Dave is right, the number it may be slightly broken up but there shoudlnt be anything else you can mistake it with though.

project-eec-tuner8.jpg

7805 Alone

179205_BB_01_FB.EPS.jpg

I found the 7508 regulator at Radio Shack and bought it for $1.99.

I removed and replaced it on the EEC tuner and it acts the same. :(

Oh, well. Thanks for the input anyway. Looks like I'm hosed unless shiftmaster can help me out.

Back