Suspension Problem, Help Please....

SubzeroLX

I have been having a problem with my front suspenion lately. Everytime I hit a bump etc. my steering wheel bounces up and down. I just had it into a shop today, and they said the drivers side outer tie rod was shot (had travel in it) so i had them replace it. But now on my way home i hit a few bumps and noticed allthough slightly improved, the bounce is still there???
Any ideas what is causing this???

Don't know if this is needed but, car is lowered 1.5" ST springs, Tokico Struts/shox, TCCoA agressive allignment, 17" on 45 series rubber.
Thanx

Subzero
Ryan

SubzeroLX, your steering wheel should not be moving if and when you hit a bump. I would start with the steering wheel and see if you can move by yourself while sitting in the car. If you can move it, check the mounting of the shaft in the dash to see if it is loose. Tighten if necessary. If you can not move it yourself, then check the steering rack under the car to see if it is loose. If all this checks out, have someone else drive the car while you observe if the steering wheel is really moving or just feels like it is moving. Good luck

Why accept this result from the shop that replaced the tie rod? You brought it in there for the steering wheel moving when you drive it.

They claimed that to fix it you needed to replace the tie rod. They replaced the tie rod and you say it wasn't fixed.

I guess I would say, bring it back to who claimed it was the tie rod and tell them to try again.

Why would they even send it out like that?

Your steering wheel is held from moving around by the clamp under the dashboard. The steering wheel is also kept from moving in and out by the attachment to the steering rack and somewhat by the integrity of the rag joint that sits between the two parts of the shaft.

Interestingly, since the steering wheel attaches to the steering rack. And the steering rack bolted to the subframe. Movements in any of the wheel components would never be transmitted into the steering wheel other than in the form of a vibration. The only way for your steering wheel to move because of this would be the RACK is no longer bolted down tight.

Alternatively, you could have a failure in your tilt mechanism that is causing this. But of course, that would have nothing to do with a tie rod .

Back