Questions about stock times?

getblown

Got a lot of curiosity coming into mind. I have seen a bunch of SC/XR7s lately that have been runnning low 15s with nothing done
-15.2 with no silencer and an IC fan and 17"wheels?
-15.2/3 with no A/C condensor?

So theoretically, with my k&n panel filter, remove my air silencer, on my stock 89 XR7 5spd *(almost)* and goodyear tires, i should run a 15.2 to 15.5 or so?? This boggles my mind because i thought that Auto SCs ran a 15.8-16.0 and a 5spd SC ran 15.7-15.9... mabye im wrong?

Mabye somebody has an answer?

jOe

*(almost)* refers to my 89 XR7 5spd being a 90 motor and computer, had to switch the computer since i switched out the EGR intake

Last edited:
Most SC's should be able to run at least mid 15s with ease. Mine ran 15.2@93mph with 2.3 60's stock, could have easily broken into 14s with more practice.

Just upgrading the exhaust upped the trap speeds over 2mph and put it solidly in the 14s.

hmm..

My friends 91 Auto ran a 15.4 stock around 90mph. And w/ a pulley, new mufflers and resonator, ran a 14.9. My 91 also ran a 14.8 with the same mods as his. So I presume around a 15.4 stock for my car also.

91BLOWNSC said:
My friends 91 Auto ran a 15.4 stock around 90mph. And w/ a pulley, new mufflers and resonator, ran a 14.9. My 91 also ran a 14.8 with the same mods as his. So I presume around a 15.4 stock for my car also.

Theortetically, if i put the tail pipes instead of mufflers on the exhaust keeping the res. with ported manifolds, %10 pulley, no airbox, k&n filter i should be hoping for a 15.1 or so? cause i would be EXTATIC! if it would do that...

jOe

i ran a 15.2 at 89, spinning the tires in 1,2,3 gear, cause it was around 40 degrees that night, to cold for street tires. i stil pulled a 2.1 60 foot though. i am still running stock cats and my mods listed below, on a warmer night i'm pretty sure a 14 sec pass would have came out. make sure you open up the whole exhaust berfore the 10% pulley, they actually become less efficient then a 5% because of the heat generated.

Way back on my first trip to the track, my 91 AOD had 3.73 gears, headers w/full exhaust, 5% pulley, raised top, K&N panel filter and a trans-go shift kit. I thought the car was pretty quick, but even after making 4 passes the best I could manage was a 15.0 @ 89.

I've seen other SCs that had much less mods and ran mid 14s, so you won't really know until you take it to the track.

David

These cars are all over the map. You can't really compare what one guys combo does on his car vs. what the same stuff on your car will do. That is a fact. You need to baseline your car first and just see where you are at. You may surprise yourself...or you may be very depressed. My SC with exhaust ran a 15.5 stock. Not too hot.

Micah

I had never been to the track before. I wish I would have check the car before I started modding it.

K&N panel filter and removed air silencer with stock box
Intercooler fan
magnaflow resonator and mufflers
plugs and wires
5% pulley

stock maf and throttle body
10 year old BF Goodrich tires
unprepped track. it was to cold, 47 degrees :)

14.606 at 96.48 with a 2.259 60ft

I never got a chance to run my car stock, but with a 5% pulley, intake, and no mufflers on stock exhaust with an early style blower i ran a 15.2 @92. Then after I put a late model blower on, intake, and exhaust i ran a 14.27@97 with 13lbs of boost on a 2.11 60foot at 2200ft corrected.

My 94 SC ran a best of 15.050 on the factory Goodyears when it was still stock. Well' almost stock, I did remove the air silencer and put a K&N panel filter in it. :D

14.27 was my actual time. I was stating the altitude factored in with barometer, humidity, and temperature.

Back