Low Coolant

SCaddict

Twice in the last couple weeks my VMM has said low coolant. The first time I topped it up and put in about 1/2 cup of antifreeze and this time it does not seem to have gone down at all. I am wondering if this is the beginnings of bad head gaskets. The car has 150,000 kms on it and I do run it hard. There is no smoke from the tail pipes or antifreeze in the oil. I am wondering if the sensor for the overflow tank is reading wrong or what. What is the best way to tell if the HG's are bad. Also, I do not see any external leaks.

if its not using much coolant gaskets are prob ok sensor may be corroded you could prob clean the contacts or make sure coolant is clean

Check the weep hole on the water pump, if its old it could be there. Could be T-stat leakage. Could be be a bad t-stat causing a damn up, and evaporation? Or as in my case it could be the HG's. They were leaking without my knowing until I blew the suckers wide open at the shootout.
I would drive the car around until it's at operating temp and them park it on a piece of cardboard, or similar to help determine if there are any leaks. Pull codes and see what you can come up with, and then take it from there.
Tom

Most likey it's the sensor which just checks for fuild level. Pull it out and clean the contacts at the bottom and reinstall. If it still comes on I would find a good used sensor for replacement. Or if you know of someone with another SC, do a quick change out and see. Just had to clean mine on the 89 SC.

Flip said:
Most likey it's the sensor which just checks for fuild level. Pull it out and clean the contacts at the bottom and reinstall. If it still comes on I would find a good used sensor for replacement. Or if you know of someone with another SC, do a quick change out and see. Just had to clean mine on the 89 SC.

I agree. I've gone through a number of them.

I have had the codes checked and nothing came up. The waterpump is only 8 months old as well at the thermostat. I am just going out now to get another look at it.

I just had a look at it and the coolant is at the same level as it was 2 weeks ago. I pulled the sensor out and it looked like mud. I cleaned it all off and it is reading ok. Thanks for the help boyz!

Back