Info on Shift Kits.

91BLOWNSC

Need to know who makes the best shift kit. Does anyone have any knowledge on which ones are good and which ones are not? I am having the trans redone and would like to put a good one in there that isn't going to hurt my transmission.

I have a TransGo Shift kit in my 95 bird and I have had no problems. The shifts are much quicker, they are firm, but not too harsh. I was very pleased with it. Here is the article about transGo shift kits. Hope this helps.

Article from Mustangs And Fast Fords

Last edited:
Hi, I hope I can help, Transgo make an exellent product, and they have different shift improving kits avalable depending on your application, for example...do you want a full manual sift, or do you want shorter than stock shifts that make the trans more durable. Each manufacture has its own way to do things...I found that it depends on your own application!:D

Lentech

I am with thomas.

The lentech is what we have and oboy what a difference.
I got second gear scratch at 2800 rpms. Well when I had oil pressure.
You tranny is going to last longer because of the firmershifts and also because it won't be shifting between OD and third. That is where you loose OD because the band is just like a brake pad the more you or on and off the brakes the quicker it runs out and no OD again.

with the lentech with also gives more pressure on the third and fourth shift they also last longer.

The kit body has a OD delete so you can shift manually or automatic and leave it in OD selection but the OD doesn't come on untill you flip a switch and very easy to install.

Raymond

Well..

Ok I am a little confused on this. How does the transgo differ from the lentech one. The lentech seems to be a valve body whereas the transgo doesn't. Is this true? I dont' know how to tell which one is more suited to my application. also when I have my rebuild I will most likely have the stock torque converter still. Right? So if i went with a lentech it would be the stage 1. Can transmission shops order these parts for me or will i be required to order them myself and bring them in when I bring my car. I am just so lost on all this. Any more info would be appreciated! Thanks!

The Lentech is a whole new valvebody assembly. I believe that the Transgo is just a new seperator plate? There are two major differences between the two. With the Lentech, you have the option of full manual shifting, and the OD lockout switch. With the Lentech, you can hold 2nd gear. You can't do that with the Transgo, it just firms up the shifts. At least that's what I was lead to believe.

Thomas

Hi, the Lentech VB is a nice system, it is sold as a complete VB assy, in 3 different calibrations, there is a fair amount of work to installing a Lentech system, the OD delete button must be installed ( where ever the driver wants) ( and is sold seperatly, about 50$ if I recall) and the trans case itself has to drilled and tapped for the wiring to go through, and I do agree with the last post, " holding second gear " is a nice feature. The Transgo kit is just that,a kit, it not just a seperator plate, you will have some time installing a Transgo HD kit and if you know how to read instructions and a oil schematic you can do alot with this kit, as far as a shop ordering a Lentech VB? I don't know if they would or not, you might ask, you could always order it yourself? PZ

Transgo

I have had my tranny recently rebuilt. I opted to let the tranny shop (Jarvis Clutch & Transmission) my mechanic recommended build me a tranny instead of drop shipping a Lentech. The shop is heavily involved in R&D with Transgo and that's what was installed in my tranny along with a long list of goodies. You can manually shift and hold 1st and 2nd gear as long as you like. I am very happy with what I paid for. Just my .02.

Thomas is right, the Lentech VB is much better. I've had the Trans-Go and now have the Lentech, there is no comparison.

David

Back