Mustang Hub Swap Questions

sd_iconoclast

I have an '89 SC and I would like to switch to the mustang (5 x 4.5) bolt pattern. I am having trouble finding wheels. I have read through the other posts on this subject and I am still confused. Here are my best guesses and questions:
1] If I understand correctly, I can buy hubs for any '94 up mustang with ABS and they will bolt on to my SC. This will give me the correct bolt pattern in the front. Is this correct?

2] I have heard that I can either re-drill my rotors or buy mustang rotors. Are the mustang rotors identical except for the bolt pattern?

3] If I understand correctly, The process is the same for the rears. I just get '94&up mustand hubs and rotors and bolt them on. Is that correct?

4] I do not need to change the spindles unless I want to change the brakes. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help.

sd_iconoclast said:
1] If I understand correctly, I can buy hubs for any '94 up mustang with ABS and they will bolt on to my SC. This will give me the correct bolt pattern in the front. Is this correct?

That is correct. Just make sure the ABS exciter ring is on the new hub at the same position it is on your SC hub. I had a set of 'Stang hubs where it was further up the hub and would not reach the sensor. These rings are pressed on and can be easily repositioned, if necessary.

sd_iconoclast said:
2] I have heard that I can either re-drill my rotors or buy mustang rotors. Are the mustang rotors identical except for the bolt pattern?

The 89-90 SC rotors have smaller center bore and this will have to be opened up to the Mustang rotor bore diameter. Some 89-90 cars may be updated with later model hubs and rotors. The later style hubs have a big "step" machined in the hub for the larger center diameter on the rotor. The original early hubs do not. Just measure your center bore on your old rotors and see if they match the diameter of the the Mustang hub.

sd_iconoclast said:
3] If I understand correctly, The process is the same for the rears. I just get '94&up mustand hubs and rotors and bolt them on. Is that correct?

On the rear only the 99-up Cobra hubs will work. The Cobra's had the IRS similar to ours and the other 'Stangs had a straight axle. (There may now be a few other types of 'Stangs with the IRS, those hubs would work as well.) Some people say the newer Cobra's have 31 splines, but that is on the diff side of the halfshaft. All of the Cobra's have the required 28 spines on the hub.

If you get Cobra rear hubs, the center bore on your stock rotors will be too small to fit unless it it also drilled out.

sd_iconoclast said:
4] I do not need to change the spindles unless I want to change the brakes. Is that correct?

That is correct, no front spindle change, unless you want the bigger brakes as well. The FAQ forum has a good post on brakes: http://sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=326021

I would also suggest that you get new spindle nuts from Ford for all 4 hubs. They are designed as a one time use part and must be torqued to 250 ft/lbs.

You will also need new lugnuts and new locking lugs, if desired. The 'Bird has 12mm studs, while the 'Stang got 1/2" studs.

Thanks for the great reply!

I have noticed something else. Apparently the mustang 17 x 9 Cobra R wheels have less offset than the 17 x 9 T-Bird wheels. Has anyone experianced a problem with this? Do the Mustan hubs correct for this somehow?

The Mustang hubs do not correct or change any rim offset. Offset is only one piece of the rim/wheel fitment puzzle.

Most of the Cobra "R" 17x9 knockoffs have a 36mm backspacing with a 6.42" backspacing. This is like the real Cobra "R" in the M179 model. (There is also a "R58" model on the Cobra "R" from Ford Motorsport with a 24mm offset and a 5.95" backspacing. That one will stick the tire out past your fenderwell!)

I have seen up to a 275 series tire on this rim on an early style 'Bird (89-92). Most people can only run a 245 (maybe a 255) on the later style spindles (93-95).

What offsets and backspacings are you seeing on the rims you are talking about?

I believe that the offsets you stated are correct. Absoluteley every T-Bird Cobra R rim I looked at has the 36mm offset. I have only looked at one Mustang Cobra R rim and it had a 24mm offset. Are you saying that there are other mustand Cobra R rims that will have the 36mm offset?

Guys, I need you help. I have a 95 S/C and would like to run these size tires
P275/40R18. Is that possible without using the liquid wrench on my fenders. I dont want them sticking out of the wheel wells either. These are the same tire height as the stock 16 in. tires. The only other size I can get these tires in are P245/45R17 which would mean reprograming my speedo. And they are a much lower tire so I would have to drop the car with a set of springs. Also if I go with the 18's could I drop the car 2 in. or would the tires rub the fenders then. BTW I am getting the Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP run flats with the aqua tread. I had a set of these back when they made them to go on the stock wheels and I can still get a set if I order them from the tire rack. They have like 2 sets left in factor size. Anyway they where simply awsome tires I was doing cloverleaf ramps at twice the posted speeds and was scared to go any faster. The tires never let up or even acted like I was begining to push them.

Back