undercarriage rust prevention

Digitalchaos

What methods are available for reducing or preventing corrosion of the underbody components, including frame, sheetmetal, and suspension? I know of an undercoating that can be applied on some cars at the dealership, but I believe that only works when new and then to a limited extent.. Does anyone have any insight on this?

I was wondering the same thing... I was thinking of just taking some rust convertor, brushing away most of the exterior rust/dirt/gunk, and just putting a coat over the exposed areas.

It depends on how extensive you want to get. On older cars I like to strip them down to a rolling chassis and have the entire undercarriage sand blasted and then painted with POR-15. It's good stuff, but it ain't cheap. You can supposedly paint it over rusted metal as well, but I have not had excellent luck with doing that. In my opinion if you don't completely irradicate the rust and then coat it it will come back again. In your case you would probably okay taking off everything you can underneath the car and painting what you can get at. Unfortunately, I don't even trust that to prevent rust during the winter/salt months. Only way to prevent that is to park the car.

Back