Heater core question

ShawnSC1

I know a few of you said in the past and also the manual says. For you to remove the HVAC box the H/C sits in. Anyways I thought I would cut up the H/C seal from the engine side. So I did that. Then I was able to remove the H/C, without removing the HVAC box. Now has anyone done this before. Reason I am asking is because I am ready to install it now. Which could be a little tricky. Only hard part left is installing the H/C seal. I was thinking of cutting the new H/C seal, in order to install it. If you have a tip or help on this please let me know. Thanks

Last edited:
Any access to the evaporator this way? My motor is out as well and want to replace the heater core and evaporator.

tripntx said:
Any access to the evaporator this way? My motor is out as well and want to replace the heater core and evaporator.

I should know this, but is the evaporator that rubber seal that mounts on the heater core?

ShawnSC1 said:
I should know this, but is the evaporator that rubber seal that mounts on the heater core?
No. That is the heater core tube to case seal. The evaporator is the big aluminum radiator looking thing on the inside of the case right beside the blower motor.. if you pull the blower motor off, and shine a flash light in, you can see it plain as day. However, to remove it is a pain and requires you remove the entire dash. It is possible to pry the heater core out w/o pulling the entire dash off.

TbirdSCFan said:
No. That is the heater core tube to case seal. The evaporator is the big aluminum radiator looking thing on the inside of the case right beside the blower motor.. if you pull the blower motor off, and shine a flash light in, you can see it plain as day. However, to remove it is a pain and requires you remove the entire dash. It is possible to pry the heater core out w/o pulling the entire dash off.

How do you get a heater core out without removing the dash??? If not through engine compartment...

Well the dash has to come out. Its easy to remove the dash. You may need someone eles to help out.

I have the dash out. But what I am saying is.. If you remove the HVAC box. Then you have to remove the A/C lines from the evaporator. I don't want to do that because the system is full of freeon. So with the A/C lines still connected I was able to remove all bolts from the HVAC box. I cut the seal on the H/C tubes from the engine side. Then I was able to just get my hand in the middle of the HVAC and firewall to completly remove that seal. Then I was able to push the H/C out.

My question is can I install that H/C with the old seal. Is there a RTV sealant I can use to put around the cut H/C seal. Also there was foam on the side of the H/C. Should I put seal on the side of the H/C aswell. Also I been reading alot about this ground connection on the H/C. Is this needed..

sizemoremk said:
How do you get a heater core out without removing the dash??? If not through engine compartment...
You take out the glove compartment, console, VMM, radio, A/C controls, lower cover, and then the center vent assembly. When you're done, there is a flap on the front of the evap case held on with 2 screws. You take that off and then disconnect the hoses and squeeze the heater core tubes together slightly... then you pry the thing out.. its in there tight and held in place with sticky foam tape, so its not real easy to do, but its doable. When you reinstall, it takes some enginuity to figure out how best to seal it up since the existing tape will be shredded. :)

Back