will removing the cats on a stock exaust system...

MN12owner

Help any? I am doing a full blown cat-free exaust system in the near future, but don't have time B-4 the mini track meet. So, If I remove the cats and just throw in some 2" piping...will this relieve any back pressure? I want to do this as I am installing a 95 blower on the car and don't want to blow a HG at the track...so, will this help alieviat my worries???

Shane

MN12owner said:
Help any? I am doing a full blown cat-free exaust system in the near future, but don't have time B-4 the mini track meet. So, If I remove the cats and just throw in some 2" piping...will this relieve any back pressure? I want to do this as I am installing a 95 blower on the car and don't want to blow a HG at the track...so, will this help alieviat my worries???

Shane

You can do that and it will reduce restriction but that won't help your headgaskets. It's not boost that kills the headgaskets. It's engine temp and detonation. Chances are if you gaskets are original they are already shot and just waiting for the right opportunity to "pop".

Ok, I was under the impression that the added boost of the blower could....uhhh...help the HGs along...I was thinking if there is less restriction, then there would be less PSI, hence, decrese my chances...Guess I was wrong...or does that sound somewhat right?

MN12owner said:

Shane
The cats and the rear mufflers aren't the weakness in your stock exhaust, it's the resonator. It is what is creating the most back pressure.

http://www.magnumpowers.com/tbrd_tech_exh.html

MN12owner said:
Ok, I was under the impression that the added boost of the blower could....uhhh...help the HGs along...I was thinking if there is less restriction, then there would be less PSI, hence, decrese my chances...Guess I was wrong...or does that sound somewhat right?

That is a wives tale. Boost is not the enemy. Heat and detonation is. True, higher boost increases the chances of detonation, but it's not the boost that damages head gaskets. I've run well over 20psi through an AR blower with no issues with detonation or stock headgaskets.

Get the heat out of the system (both engine and IC) and you will not have any problems (unless the gaskets are already shot and then well, it's anybody's guess).

Decreasing exhaust back pressure decreases heat on both sides of the cylinder which is good. So you are headed in the right direction, and yes the resonator is the worst part of the exhaust followed closely by the converters.

Back