Is the gasket installed wrong.

Dahoopd

Ok, I had the passenger side done and was about to bolt the rockers. While waiting on help I statred installing the other head. The gaskets dont make it easy presentation wisw. Theye are the same. From the passenger side they would both state front with the rings that are connected on the opposing side facing the block. If you take the same gasket and apply it to the otherside (rings connected) the gasket would say from on the rear of the block. If you turn it so it states front in the front of the block on the drivers side you than have the side of the gasket where the rings connect facing the head. MAN, I AM SERIOUSLY LOST!

You lost me too. :confused: :rolleyes:

The gaskets are the same for both sides. You should be able to tell from looking at them, if they are on right or not. If they say front on opposite ends, one should have front on the front of one side of the motor and the other side should have front at the back. Unless I'm wrong :eek: and that's entirely possible, they are just made that way.

Anyone else??? Anyone???

David

Dahoopd said:
Ok, I had the passenger side done and was about to bolt the rockers. While waiting on help I statred installing the other head. The gaskets dont make it easy presentation wisw. Theye are the same. From the passenger side they would both state front with the rings that are connected on the opposing side facing the block. If you take the same gasket and apply it to the otherside (rings connected) the gasket would say from on the rear of the block. If you turn it so it states front in the front of the block on the drivers side you than have the side of the gasket where the rings connect facing the head. MAN, I AM SERIOUSLY LOST!

You're scaring me. :D One gasket goes face up, one goes face down. Open coolant passages always go to the rear. :)

Ok, Now I am mixed up.

It doesnt say anywhere, front is front and front is back. Come on! Felpro is killing me. :mad: I am sure I did it right....I hope. The one side of the gasket has blue hash marks on it. I put them up on both sides. It did however put the (front) marking on the rear of the drivers side. I am assuming its correct. I just want this damn thing right. I want my car running. :eek:

Hi All.
Like Dave said. Never put the "front" marking to the back.
All Ford head gaskets are like this, one side is always upside down :)
Vidar.

Why is everyone always so vague????

I am sorry. The help and input is greatly appreciated and valued. But, everyone always gives these vague answers so that it requires 300 posts to get the proper answer. Maybe it wasnt asked in the right format, or the proper nomenclature. Noone has yet to say front is facing back (firewall) on the passenger side, driverside......etc. I have the passenger side gasket facing the front. ( gasket states front) the drivers side has the gasket facing firewall. My only question from this post was that the gaskets werent this way when the heads were pulled. I was unsure to how the proper installation was. Maybe the guy had them upside down. The coolant holes were blocked in the front on both sides.

Dahoopd said:
I am sorry. The help and input is greatly appreciated and valued. But, everyone always gives these vague answers so that it requires 300 posts to get the proper answer. Maybe it wasnt asked in the right format, or the proper nomenclature. Noone has yet to say front is facing back (firewall) on the passenger side, driverside......etc. I have the passenger side gasket facing the front. ( gasket states front) the drivers side has the gasket facing firewall. My only question from this post was that the gaskets werent this way when the heads were pulled. I was unsure to how the proper installation was. Maybe the guy had them upside down. The coolant holes were blocked in the front on both sides.
assuming that you got the gaskets for the SC and not the N/A V6, cause parts guys always screw them up, they will both be stamped front. one side will have the blue paint and writing facing up and the other will be all gray or silver facing up. the only water passages that go through the gaskets WILL be in the REAR. The stamped FRONT will always go to the FRONT. hope this helps

passenger or driverside

Ok, I understand the point made of one will be face up and the other face down. I am assuming the drivers side is facw down. That means blue hash marks down, stamp ( marked front) is towards the firewall. Thanks for the patience, I lost mine hours ago.

After looking at the gaskets that are on the old heads, whoever did them before had the passengerside on wrong. coolant passages open in front. someone shoot me.

Last edited:
Dahoopd said:
That means blue hash marks down, stamp ( marked front) is towards the firewall.
NO, the stamp marked Front must always be positioned towards the FRONT. Don't worry about the blue hash marks, just get the stamp in front and everything will work.

Ok, please give it to me straight

Ok, there is conflicting info. Someone says that the gasket needs to be flipped and the stamped (front) goes in the rear on the drivers side. No someone is saying the stamp (front) always goes to the front. I need to get these torqued and move one. Should I contact FelPro? Would they know.

Dahoopd said:
Ok, there is conflicting info. Someone says that the gasket needs to be flipped and the stamped (front) goes in the rear on the drivers side. No someone is saying the stamp (front) always goes to the front. I need to get these torqued and move one. Should I contact FelPro? Would they know.
FRONT always goes to the FRONT on both sides. I just did head gaskets 2 weeks ago. If they are both to the front then the water passages should be open in the rear.

Thank you for the input

Thanks for the help. I contacted Felpro / Fedral-Mogul. They stated there is no upside to the gaskets. Only front and back. Front must always be in the front. I am sorry if I dragged this endlessly out. I just didnt want to hose it up. Thank you again for the support and PATIENCE!

Back