Gasket holes for water jackets......??

Dahoopd

Why are the holes in the head gaskets smaller than the waterjackets. Is this to limit the flow. I would think that this would cause it to blow the gaskets. Why dont they make them as large as the jackets. I would also think that rapid moving water is cooler than slower. I was half tempted to cut them larger. But I have not seen a post where the intelligence of this site has done so.

Also why are the water jacket holes blocked in the rear end of the head as opposed to the front.................Hmmmm, food for thought.

Dahoopd said:
Why are the holes in the head gaskets smaller than the waterjackets. Is this to limit the flow. I would think that this would cause it to blow the gaskets. Why dont they make them as large as the jackets. I would also think that rapid moving water is cooler than slower. I was half tempted to cut them larger. But I have not seen a post where the intelligence of this site has done so.

Also why are the water jacket holes blocked in the rear end of the head as opposed to the front.................Hmmmm, food for thought.

Because you are putting them on backward.

Open passages go in the rear to force the water to travel to the back of the motor. If the fronts were wide open the coolant would never circulate in the rear.

Why? Can ya splain it in more detail.

Why wouldnt it circulate. Doesnt the water flow thow the entire head? Isnt this the purpose of the 15 or water jackets around the valves of the head. This still doesnt answer why they are pensize instead of the size of the open holes in the rear. I guess I am lost with the floooooooooooooooooooow. Gotta get with the flooooooowGram...... Sorry its making me bonkers.

Dahoopd said:
Why wouldnt it circulate. Doesnt the water flow thow the entire head? Isnt this the purpose of the 15 or water jackets around the valves of the head. This still doesnt answer why they are pensize instead of the size of the open holes in the rear. I guess I am lost with the floooooooooooooooooooow. Gotta get with the flooooooowGram...... Sorry its making me bonkers.

The hole size in the gaskets are of varying diameter by design. That is how they are able to control which areas of the head receive more flow than others to eliminate hot spots. Think of the holes as series of flow control valves that are set/balanced for optimum cooling.

The 4.2 gaskets I'm using are much different and at first we drilled a couple holes in the blocked passages to mimic the felpro composit gaskets. Then we wondered if they were changed for a reason as part of Fords efforts to fix the head gasket failure problem and decided to use them as designed. They worked fine.

David

Back