AOD Trans swap

Randy N Connie said:
Do I need to change my computer if I swap a AOD trans out, to a 5 or 6 speed trans.

Randy
I don't believe so Randy. Only in the 94/95's is this necessary.

I wasent for sure.I have a 1990.I didnt know if it would be cheaper to
just buy a 5 speed SC and go from there.and junk the 1990 SC AOD SC
and swap my nolt on parts into a stick shift SC.

I was thinking about getting a 5 or 6 speed.And make a new bell houseing
And any other cutom parts needed.I am no more interrested in the stock
SC 5 speed as I am the AOD.I know a AOD is not for me.And from what I
have read on line the SC 5 speed is also trash.(outsource foreign crap.)

Thanks Randy.

not to worry....

The only time you have trouble is if you had a 94-95 auto trans that you wanted to put in. The way you are going, this is not a worry. Some food for you, the bolt pattern from a small block Ford is the same as the 3.8. This being said, go find a mustang 5,0 and start swapping out parts. The shifter will be something that you will have to address, but that's all. We swapped Scott's car this spring and the car ran great till other stuff happened...
You might want to look into a "top loader" Ford 4 speed. The ones from a torino are a real nice swap...and even a blind guy like yourself can do that swap, oh wait, it's the guy who lives next to you that is blind......LOL But this is something to look into if you want something that will shift and take the pounding.... Now before everyone starts asking how I know this I will just say, it sure looks nice.........Rich :cool: :cool: :cool:

Pro-street
Well I knew that my AOD was not tied into the computer.
But I was not sure about some other parts could be effected
some way.

The AOD is just over my head,and to costly for the time they last.
So to keep my SC going.I need to install some parts that I am more
familiar with,and are heavier duty and I know will perform better
& longer.

I would of liked to been able to kept this SC going . So I could of
develop some better parts for the motor.To see what I could get
from a stock long block.But I just do not seem to have the touch
for this AOD tranny stuff or the money.

Rich,Red flags just keep waving.Its just silly to keep dumping money
Into this SC.I think beside the weak AOD,That its time for a V-8
with fuel injection and a blower.I could of bought a nice crate motor
with 600 horse.And added a screw blower, fuel injection.
For what I have in AODs and the other parts for that little motor.

I wonder if Connie would want to buy me a aluninum 810 cid Ford-hemi
John Kaase motor for Chrismas.That would be a big jump up, from the
box of rocks she got me last year.

Randy

Last edited:
Randy, you haven't given the AOD a chance yet. Sure you would like a manual better, but since you sent out and bought the Lentech, at least drive it and see how it is. They are actually kind of fun. :D

Randy I have to agree with you here. The 5spd is much better than the slush box. Keep your SC going and put a stick in it. But you did spend the money so why not use it. better yet, keep the one you have for testing/everday use and buy another 5spd SC for play!

Now for your other idea, I couldn't agree more. Although they can become money pits as well. I did some research and the short block I am going with is $3,000 by itself. But it will support over 650HP!

Converting to a 6spd would be a blast. I think that is what I am going to have behind the motor in project blackbird. I wont have to worry to much about the shifter as there will be a new hole cut for it. Now I just have to find a shift handle like the ones used in cup cars.

Shane

Randy your new lentech will be fine! Dont listen to Dave he cant drive an Automatic. He likes those truck transmissions :eek: :eek:

Truck Transmissions?

HEY! Sorry to jump in here guys, but that truck transmission has been jumping from t-bird to t-bird for me for about 5 years. It was bought from a guy when I first learned of this place (SCCOA) from a totaled 95. It was in great shape then so it went into my 90 (from 65k to 160k) I drove that car like I was qualifying for the Brickyard. It is now in my 93 running mid 14's (for now)! With nothing more than new shifter bushings and a new Spec stage 2 in front of it. So please cut these things some slack. It is all I've got and all I can afford. Plus, at least it's not an Auto :( snoooooze! Just Kidding all you AOD guys they're just not for me.

Not only is it a truck transmission its a rice burner truck trans. losey gearing bad syncros and when you shift them hard they break. Iwill take my auto thanks. You guys are better off with a 9 speed eaton ;) ;)

Automatic transmission are for!

1. people that can't count to five.
2.people that could not count to three in the old days.
3. people that don't have enough coordination to use there hand & foot at the same time.
4.Short people that can't reach the clutch peddle.
5.Old women.
6.Old men
7.people that are lazy
8.people that get stoned and can't remember what gear they are in.
9.people that like to play with there dip stick to much.
10. :)

Randy

Randy N Connie said:
Automatic transmission are for!

1. people that can't count to five.
2.people that could not count to three in the old days.
3. people that don't have enough coordination to use there hand & foot at the same time.
4.Short people that can't reach the clutch peddle.
5.Old women.
6.Old men
7.people that are lazy
8.people that get stoned and can't remember what gear they are in.
9.people that like to play with there dip stick to much.
10. :)

Randy

LOL! Randy. That about sums it up. :p :D

Randy you forgot the ones I fall into,

11. people who are too lazy to shift.
12. people who don't like spilling beverages between their legs working the clutch pedal.

Most of my cars in the past have been sticks and generally I perfer them, but I wouldn't want one on a quick SC.

{edit} Ooops..Just saw #7 because I was too lazy to read it the first time

David

Last edited:
13.Old women that drive though McDonalds,And win millions of dollars because of hot coffee spilt on there croch.. :eek:
14. pregnant womem, there bellys are to big to raise up there clutch leg to push the clutch peddle in. :rolleyes:
15. Men with beer bellys,Same reason as pregnant women. :)

Randy

Back