Chips, worth it at this point?

T1Bird

When is it time to Chip a car?

there is a SCT dealer now about 5 mins from me, and they do tuning also, been debating on if its worth it with what I have.

This is what I have completetly, because im not sure if and what things matter.

I have a 76 C&L with the 30 pound tube (gold)
I have the ZR intake
I have a 5% blower pulley
Double IC
IC fan
semi ported heads, not hit up that much
my manifolds are ported really good
full 2 3/4 exaust into 2 high flow cats no res into 2 flowmaster mufflers.
SCI JS pulley and AC delete pulley
also a 255 LPH FI fuel pump in the tank.

I have a raised top thats On and off the car, (home made, having troubles getting it to seal) and I have a ported blower and inlet plenum on its way.

Is it worth me getting a chip? or wait to I need a injector upgrade?.

Thanks for your time.

I'd say you need bigger injectors especially if you don't have a 94-95.

I'm currently running 36lb injectors with my mods (sig).

I would like to hear about the chip though. I hope i don't need it because there's nobody in my city that does it.

Your car will absolutely benefit from a properly tuned chip. I hope the SCT tuner near you has tuned SC's before. :)

I doubt they have, and if they have they dont have much experience, was hoping you would reply to this thread Dave with your opinion, I see your also a SCT dealer, sooo where should I start?, go get a A/F reading and dyno from my car and send it to you?

T1Bird said:
I doubt they have, and if they have they dont have much experience, was hoping you would reply to this thread Dave with your opinion, I see your also a SCT dealer, sooo where should I start?, go get a A/F reading and dyno from my car and send it to you?

That would work. I have dyno tested data that will work with your car, just send me an AF chart. Either that or you could get some Canadians together and schedule a dyno day. I'll come up there and tune if you can get a group together that wants to do it.

Thanks for the quick replies Dave, Ive posted on our forum for interest already, guess we will see. As far as A/F readings, and obtaining them, I have 2 bungs welded into my exaust before the cats, do you feel this honestly more efficent then the readings you obtain from your tail pipes?.

The reason I'm bringing this up is I have access to two different dyno's one of which has the bung hookup before the cats and a hour of dyno time for 150 dollars canadian, or the other you get 3 pulls with tail pipe hookup for around 50 dollars. Just trying to weigh my choices on $$$ to possible achievments.

Also as a fellow Ontario member has pointed out to me, one of which is my goal to BEAT I might add, how many SC's would you like to see interested for your generous time up here in the greater north.

Last edited:
XR7 Dave said:
That would work. I have dyno tested data that will work with your car, just send me an AF chart. Either that or you could get some Canadians together and schedule a dyno day. I'll come up there and tune if you can get a group together that wants to do it.

Dave, comu up some time in the spring and I'm there ! Would love to have that done especially with the Nitrous kit I just installed. I have a file in there right now from Brian, but that's for a 55-65 shot............would like to step up to the 75 shot safely.

I'm in for this.

How easy is it to re-program, or have a new file made for the car once I add more to it?

Dave, I have say you do SOOOO much for this community, thanks a bunch.

92strokedbird said:
I would also be interested in this as well,are you going to tune with a tuner or are you using a chip.
If you have an EEC tuner and want to use it that's fine. I primarily use SCT chips for custom tuning.

I'm in as well,So do you need our cars info first, Dave and then you come up here with the chip already to install in each of our cars.John

Hey guys,
You'd be crazy not to take David up on that offer. He currently has my SC, and in a matter of hours brought her out from a deep coma ;) . He also tuned out MAJOR electronic issues that I had, as well as optimized the performance of the overall car with the SCT chip that I won at the SC/XR-7 Shootout. :D
Tom

Back