offset & backspace

Alan K

I'm having 17X8 wheels built. What is the stock offset & backspace on a '95 bird? Since I'm only going up 1/2 in. on the width, would it seem reasonable to keep the stock offset & backspacing?
K

For the stock 7" rim the offset is 39mm and the backspacing is 5.54".

Since your rims are 1" wider if you keep the stock backspacing all of the additonal width will be out towards the fender.

Might be better to put some on each side say 8" wide 31mm offset for a 5.72" backspacing.

I really think the 8.5" rim (like some ROH rims) is ideal with a 255 series tire. For that you could use 8.5" wide 39mm offset for a 6.29" backspacing.

Here is a formula for offset and backspacing:

backspacing(inches) = width/2(inches) + offset(inches) + 1/2"
(All vales need to be in INCHES)

Negative offset (like we have) means more than half of the rim is back towards the fenderwell and positve offset means more than half is towards the fenders. The offset is how much the wheel is off center in either direction. For a wider rim you would not be able to keep the offset and backspacing at the stock numbers.

stock?

My tires are 225/60R16 and I thought I'd read that, that is the stock tire for a '95 SC. And... from other posts that the stock wheel is a 7 & 1/2 inch width. Am I wrong in this? My intention is to go a little larger (235/60R17) but not much.
K

As stated in previous post, the stock rim width on the SC 16" wheel is 7". The size tire you listed is the stock size.

If you just want a little wider tire, you can get a 235 in a 16" tire. Many people run that on their stock rims.

Back