90 sc wont idle after doing hg's

tow_this

i just finished doing my hg's and am having idle problems. i have a 90 with aod. this car did this when i first got it and after putting in a new trans and sealing ic tubes with thin coating of plumbers putty it stopped for good, until now that is. when i did the hg's i also put in injectors from a 92 5.0 bird along with the maf and throttle body from the same car. i sealed my ic tubes with their pos o-rings which is the first thing i'm going to undo. the injectors are yellow and i have no idea what size that means. it smells a little rich to me. i also removed cats from downtubes and installed crossover exhaust tube from 5.0 which has one cat and a small muffler. the car starts fine and runs fine for 5 to ten seconds then idle drops til it dies. if i unplug the maf it will start and run fine for several minutes or until i put it in drive at which time it drops off and dies. i'm not sure i have all the vacuum lines routed correctly so if anyone has a diagram i could sure use it. i also did a compression check which was fine. my guess is vacuum but i would appreciate any ideas since i have little experience with supercharging or fords for that matter. my other car is a firebird, i want to see which bird can fly faster. i also have a 94 t-bird which i'm rebuilding the old blown 460 out of my jet boat for.(i had to tone the boat down a little or my girl wouldnt get in it) but if this car doesn't start cooperating its on its way to a serious heart transplant and that 94 is gonna go bye-bye. also, i did run this car with the 5.0 throttle body before the hg's so i know its not that at least. my car sucked the metal ring from cyl 3 into the combustion chamber(just thought i would mention that since that seems to be a common question. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yellow injectors are 19lb ers I believe. Stock SC injectors are 30lbs. I have come to find out that you can't change injectors without tweeking the EEC, regardless of the MAF you put in. I would say that your car won't run correctly until you put the correct injectors back in. Your IAC could have gone bad as well.

Last edited:
Darkside said:
Yellow injectors are 19lb ers I believe. Stock SC injectors are 30lbs. I have come to find out that you can't change injectors without tweeking the EEC, regardless of the MAF you put in. I would say that your car won't run correctly until you put the correct injectors back in. Your IAC could have gone bad as well.

i thought that might be the case and am changing back right now. gotta experiment though.the iac is brand new.

BTW, I'm not saying that the injectors are 19lb's because of the color, it's just what Ford put in their HO 5.0's. Your problem does sound alot like a vacuum leak. I would double check all your vacuum hoses. Look for tears, holes, etc.

Darkside said:
I would also try putting the stock MAF back on. Any reason why you switched injectors?

it acts the same with the stock maf. i guess i switched injectors to see what it would do. why did the chicken cross the road.

Darkside said:
BTW, I'm not saying that the injectors are 19lb's because of the color, it's just what Ford put in their HO 5.0's. Your problem does sound alot like a vacuum leak. I would double check all your vacuum hoses. Look for tears, holes, etc.

all my vac hoses are new but i'm not sure they are routed right since the diagram on my car is pretty worn

As was already mentioned the injectors are wrong and the MAF calibration is also wrong. It's calibrated for 8 injectors not the 6 you are using.

Put the stock MAF and Injectors back on and then reseal all the IC tube connections with copper RTV to fix the vacuum leaks caused from using plumbers putty.

David

David Neibert said:
As was already mentioned the injectors are wrong and the MAF calibration is also wrong. It's calibrated for 8 injectors not the 6 you are using.

Put the stock MAF and Injectors back on and then reseal all the IC tube connections with copper RTV to fix the vacuum leaks caused from using plumbers putty.

David

i did it and it runs good again. what about this throttle body, it seems fine with the one from the 5.0 plus it doesn't have the coolant passage. i've never had a problem using plumbers putty on my ic but i'll try copper rtv. guess i should study up on fuel injection. i'm developing a serious love hate relationship with this car.

Back