Best way to clean the outside of the oil pan

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
I tried gushing it with engine degreaser, used a wire brush and it still looks nasty, dull and stained. I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions. I kinda read about sand blasting but im not sure if this is something to get done at a machine shop or where? Is sandblasting something i can get done to the lower intake manifold too? Thanx

CaifanSC said:
I tried gushing it with engine degreaser, used a wire brush and it still looks nasty, dull and stained. I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions. I kinda read about sand blasting but im not sure if this is something to get done at a machine shop or where? Is sandblasting something i can get done to the lower intake manifold too? Thanx

I "glass bead" blasted both the intake manifold and oil pan, then spray painted them with a high temp clear coat. They came out a very uniform light grey color. I can add a picture of how it came out if you want.

Super XR7

Super XR7 please post those pix. I'd like to see how they come out. What can you tell me of pricing? And where to get it done....is thi something they do in machine shops (i have no clue)?

Oh, and Paul....whats Torco?

You can see the waterpump, alt, and belt tensioners. The oil pan is the same. I use to have a machine shop that had a glass bead machine, you should be able to find a local shop that has one. Cost should not be much. After bead blasting I washed each part with dish detergent (Dawn), dried and then several thin coats of high temp clear paint (Dupont).
This engine is the one that I spun a bearing in at the SC Shootout. This baby is on its way to Coy Miller for a extensive rebuild.

Super XR7

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 151
To clean to get a new cast look.You need to bead blast or sand blast.

I sanded mine down smooth,then did a light polishing.

By sanding the surface smooth and polishing.
It stays a lot cleaner.No casting pores for
dirt,oil,grime to cling to.

RANDY

I went to ask the guy that did my machining today about bead blasting. He said it wouldnt be too much, so i might actually get it done just to the pan and intake manifold. Maybe the belt tensioners like super xr7's pic. At least for this engine, i just want it to look rather clean...now for an engine for show and go...i think Randy's idea woudl be better...sanding the surfaces smooth and polishing.

Back