Do I need premium fuel for boost???

LXSC

As I continue to research various options, I come to discover more interesting and possibly problematic things. One such is the possibility of having to use premium in a supercharged 5.0 L. Is this a must? I read that if you did, you would need to retard the timing so much that your fuel economy would suffer greatly (and would offset the fact that you save a few bucks filling up with regular). Is this for sure? I want to be able to run my 5.0 L on regular but I don't want this to happen. Would it be better if I used less boost (6 psi to 10 psi) and then only used premium (and more timing) if I went 10 psi +? Thanks for your input

LXSC said:
As I continue to research various options, I come to discover more interesting and possibly problematic things. One such is the possibility of having to use premium in a supercharged 5.0 L. Is this a must? I read that if you did, you would need to retard the timing so much that your fuel economy would suffer greatly (and would offset the fact that you save a few bucks filling up with regular). Is this for sure? I want to be able to run my 5.0 L on regular but I don't want this to happen. Would it be better if I used less boost (6 psi to 10 psi) and then only used premium (and more timing) if I went 10 psi +? Thanks for your input
is not that is premium vs regular is more the octane rating , regular is about 87 too low for any performance aplication ,91-93 octane is good for a moderate moded engine , but is really worth the 2 or 3 bucks youre going to save for risking you engine detonating?
if you cant afford the good gas much less youre going to afford the maintance of a modded car as a daily driver. get a beater and leave the racer car for the weekends

Yes you need to use preimum 91-93 octane with any type of forced induction. Your timing does not have to be lowered if you use the preimum. If your going to try running any amount of boost on regular (87 octane) you will have to pull timing (4-5 degrees) to avoid detionation, which will result in a loss of power. Even then you could only run about 5 psi.

David

But would I gain any power if I had to pull timing to run regular and only 5 psi of boost?

Probably, but if your going to all the trouble of adding a supercharger, I would think you would want maximum performance.

David

Back