Lucas Injectors, retaining clip propblems

sd_iconoclast

Just bought a set of Lucas 42# Fuel injectors from Racetronix. I have found that the tops of these injectors are just slightly different from the Ford 30# injectors that came stock on my '89 SC. The result is that the stock retaining clips do not fit. I have sent an email to Racetronix but have not heard back (after about 4 hours). I have been unable to call Racetronix as they do not put their phone number on their website. Has anyone else experiences this problem?
Does anyone know where to get clips that fit the Lucas injectors?
Are these clips even necessary?

sd_iconoclast said:
Just bought a set of Lucas 42# Fuel injectors from Racetronix. I have found that the tops of these injectors are just slightly different from the Ford 30# injectors that came stock on my '89 SC. The result is that the stock retaining clips do not fit. I have sent an email to Racetronix but have not heard back (after about 4 hours). I have been unable to call Racetronix as they do not put their phone number on their website. Has anyone else experiences this problem?
Does anyone know where to get clips that fit the Lucas injectors?
Are these clips even necessary?

Post a picture showing the problem you are having.

I've used lucas injectors with no problems. The clips aren't absolutely necessary but you should be able to use them.

A picture probably would not show the problem. It turns out that the Lucas injectors do not go quite as far into the fuel rail as the Bosch injectors (by about a mm). The result is that the clips will not go on.
I just got a response from Racetronix that suggests that I do not need the clips.
Are you also saying that the clips are unnecessary?

I was once told they are there to assist in assembly, but I don't like to second guess the Ford engineers unless I'm sure of their stupidity. :rolleyes: If they were there, then I am going to put them back. When I tried putting a different set of STOCK size ones in, I noticed the clips bend easilly and you might be able to BobGuyver something or make a slight adjustment to them. I know you can NOT get these unless at a junkyard, so bend them at your own risk.

So don't push the injectors in as far? The injectors do not seal by bottoming in the fuel rail, they seal via the outward tension of the o-ring. Just install new o rings and install the clips where they fit. Then bolt it all together.

But no, the clips are not necessarily needed. However, after having removed and installed many injectors on these motors, I prefer to have the clips.

Not sure how you are attempting to install the setup, but in case you are having trouble with the installation part of it, install the injectors into the fuel rail, spray some WD40 into the injector bosses in the heads, then align the injectors with the holes. If they are stubborn I use a rubber mallet to gently smack the fuel rail and they pop right in. When you have them seated properly everything feels real nice and happy. :)

Last edited:
sd_iconoclast said:
....The dealer says I can get a pack of six for about five bucks, but I have to order them,
Lucky you, cause my Stealer says they aren't available, along with everything else for my car. :(
If you end up with an extra new set, give me a PM as I'd be willing to give a 5-spot, plus shipping for an extra set.

When I go to order them, I will get the part number and post it.
If that does not help, I believe I have at least two sets.

OK. I just got back from the "Stealer" (pardon my plaugerizing that). I ordered a set of six fuel injector clips for an '89 SC. The part number was:

1F2Z9C995BA

The cost was $5.75 including tax,

Back