Brake Problems???

Supercouper91

I need some help. Today my SC started having some brake problems. the pedal will feel very hard for a few seconds and the car will not brake then the pedal will soften up and the brakes will work. I pulled into a gas station and checked the brake fluid. It wasn't showing any in the reservoir. I have also been noticing some puddles under my car which I now suspect is brake fluid. Where are the most likely places it could be leaking from? Does it sound like there might be a faulty part other than a seal or something? If I do a bleed on the brakes will they work correctly? Also, is there any special way to bleed these brakes or are they pretty much the same as any other brake system? Thanks in advance for any help.

If you can't tell exactly where the leak is, then you will have to either jack up the car or remove the wheels one by one to check for a leak. Also check for leaks from the ABS assembly below the brake fluid reservoir.

Look at the back side of each tire to see if wet. If thats not it, Jack the car up and check.On the drivers side below the matser cylinder.There bolted to
the inside of the frame by the steering shaft.Is Pressure Differential Control
Valve.It has a brake line running down from the master cylinder,& brake lines
running to your wheels.It also has a electrical pressure switch with wires plugged into it.I had this switch rust out on mine.And then leaked.

I was able to get one from T BIRD 88 he had one from a SC he was parting out.I could not find one new for sale.Ford stoped selling them.If you cant find
a good switch.You can braze the pressure switch hole shut in the end of the
switch.Or buy a pipe plug to block the hole in the brake manifold that the
switch was unbolted from.

Randy

Back