all the logical stuff has been checked complicated stuff

91redheadedbird

ok whats up gang. Need everyones input if they would. Went to gas station and car wouldnt crank over when i was ready to go. Pulled starter and had it tested. It checked out ok. Bought new battery and still didnt turn over. Changed solenoid on fender and still nothing but a click. Read all posts about this type of problem and i come across one that mentioned alarm. I tested my factory alarm and it sets correctly, but does not go off. I did some tests on my theft module in the trunk. Volt meter says it is bad. I tried disconnecting 1 of the 2 plugs on the module and still nothing. Hooked that plug back up and disconnected the other, still no start. Disconnected both and solenoid doesnt even click. Anyone know what the hell is going on. I need my ride. All help and replies are appreciated. 91 SC. Thank you

Last edited:
I would look at the ignition switch to see if it has gone bad. Ford recalled and replaced mine for free, but they don't cost much anyways. If nothing happens when you turn the key, thats where I would start looking. Good luck

With the car in park/neutral, take a short peice of wire (any size will do) and jump from the battery to the small terminal on the starter relay (on the inner fender). If the starter runs, then you know the problem is in the car and not the starter/wiring.

XR7 Dave said:
With the car in park/neutral, take a short peice of wire (any size will do) and jump from the battery to the small terminal on the starter relay (on the inner fender). If the starter runs, then you know the problem is in the car and not the starter/wiring.

Dave, i did that. No go. Like i say, i think my alarm is disabling something cause my alarm is not working either

If you suspect the Anti-theft Module, then short the starter interrupt white/pink and red/light blue wires at one of the two connectors to the module. There are two red/light blue wires; you can choose either one as they both are joined together somewhere in the car.

J.D. said:
If you suspect the Anti-theft Module, then short the starter interrupt white/pink and red/light blue wires at one of the two connectors to the module. There are two red/light blue wires; you can choose either one as they both are joined together somewhere in the car.

how do i short them? I thought unplugging the anti-theft module would result in the same effect.

Unplugging the module will have the opposite effect - it will open the circuit.
Pull out the plug and use a paper clip or short piece of wire to short the pins that the two wires connect to.
Or poke a sharp paper pin or needle through each wire and then tape both needles together. Be sure that the needles don't touch metal (ground).

ok super daddy, we may be on to something. Let me get this straight. Disconnect the 12 wire plug with the 2 wires of concern. stick a piece of wire from one female end to the other female end. Do i then leave it unplugged from the module or what is the story?

You forgot the "Cool" ;) . I anticipated your question and sent you a PM a while ago. Yes, leave it unplugged from the module.

J.D. said:
You forgot the "Cool" ;) . I anticipated your question and sent you a PM a while ago. Yes, leave it unplugged from the module.

Alright Super Cool Daddy, good looking out. Dont know about the PM, but i am getting the posts. Was working on my old lady a bit ago. I am going to put my sneakers on and check this out. Will let you know what I find soon. Thank you

all i ever had trouble with was starter so thats what im thinking unless a cylinder is full of water and wont let it crank

You redheads don't know how to show respect!
If you're getting a click (I'm assuming you mean a click from the starter), then the problem is not with the circuit from the ignition key up to the starter relay. The anti-theft disables only this starting circuit, it doesn't cut off the ignition or fuel pump.
Assuming you did what XR7_Dave said and got a click, then you most probably have a poor connection to the starter or a poor ground to the engine block.

J.D. said:
You redheads don't know how to show respect!
If you're getting a click (I'm assuming you mean a click from the starter), then the problem is not with the circuit from the ignition key up to the starter relay. The anti-theft disables only this starting circuit, it doesn't cut off the ignition or fuel pump.
Assuming you did what XR7_Dave said and got a click, then you most probably have a poor connection to the starter or a poor ground to the engine block.

im not a redhead, my car is and it sure acts like one. The click is from the solenoid. Lets suppose i do have a poor conection or poor ground, would that cause my alarm to set, but not activate? Whar is the deal with my alarm? The lack of alarm and lack of starter power have to have something to do with each other. They cant be independent problems and bot just quit working at the same time

Everything's possible. But would you like to get your car to start or your alarm to work? :D
The two circuits don't even share the same fuse.
How did your car become a redhead? Did you drop a can of red paint on it?

obviously i would like to get my car to start. Im just trying to put something together and I know the anti-theft has something to with the starter. I find it unbelievable that these two issues are not related. Im no car guru hence the fact i am here asking for help, but i have done plenty of research in the past few days. But regardless, it isnt turning over. Also like I said in my original post, i used the volt meter on my anti theft module and according to that its defective. I still believe it something with that. I mean this **** all quit working on the spur of the moment

Since you have a voltmeter, connect it to the wire that runs from the relay to the starter. Start the car and look ar the voltmeter through the windshield. Does it show voltage while you are holding the key in the START position? If so, then your problem is not the alarm. Worry about it later.

ok super cool daddy... Thats more like the response i expected from you. Good idea. I will check that tomorrow after work and will post the response shortly after 5. Thanks for your time and your help good night!

hey cool daddy, if you are looking at the solenoid from across the car(from passengers side), the right terminal has voltage and the left one doesnt.

The right terminal has voltage because it is connected to the positive terminal of the battery. The other terminal will show a voltage only when the relay is energized, i.e., when the small terminal is supplied with 12v either when you turn the key to START or if you short it to the right terminal.

Back