replacing cats

93 Mark VIII

anyone have a source for replacment cats. Looks like these are not universal cats, the inlet is not horizontal like the outlet. Am I missing something, anyone have some tips?

Thanks,
Brian

when i had my exhaust done on my 94 i had the old cats removed. the shop made some new downtubes and ran them back to a single 2 in 1 out high flow cat mfg by carsound. The new cat sits right about where my old resonator used to be. The cat ran around $100.

thanks

good ideas! I think I am going to go with a single dual inlet/single outlet cat as long as it won't impact emissions. You guys remember what diameter inlet/outlet the exhaust is so I can get ordering?

Thanks again!
Brian

I did the whole exhaust at once. 2and1/4in downtubes to the single high flow cat. Out of the cat with a 3in pipe that splits off into two 2and1/4in pipes and into two free flow mufflers. I have had the setup on for a couple of years now and am quite happy with it. Sounds good. Not splatty and no drone.

Hey Blackbird94....I just did my whole exhaust too....I was fortunate enough to have a fellow SCer GIVE me a complete, slightly used SCP/Bill Hull system. 2-1/4" downtubes, the SCP high flow cats, to the 2 into 1 Magnaflow resonator, 3" center, high flow Y, back to a pair of Dynomax Super Turbos, but I replaced the mufflers with a pair of brand new Borlas. It sounds pretty good, but it sure is a lot different than the old stock system! It sounds good, and deep, but as everyone knows, a six will never sound as good as an 8. My next mod on the exhaust is to have the extra pair of manifolds I have hogged out, and ported by TBird88. I've been told that the Borla's will sound better as they age, but in the high rpm's now I compare the sound to a Honda Gold Wing on steroids! Maybe it's not that strange, but just takes some getting used to! Sounds GREAT at idle, and I do have a bit of drone, but it's not as bad as I've heard some guys say the drone gets in their cars!
-Jeff

Back