timing cover oil spring

hepcat

Alright in my attempt to upgrade my oil pump to the 94-95. After installing it i found out that it wasn't the new one but it came with a longer spring so I assumed this is what gave the more oil pressure.

I know now that the newer one has one more tooth.

When I got it running the oil needle was halfway accross.
alot more than it was before, but I noticed that when I shut off the engine it stayed there and same when I turned on the engin.
So I moved the connection arround of the sending unit wire to better the connection. Well went to check and no oil pressure.
The motor started knocking the lifters I mean you could hear then just getting louder.

Well before all this it was leaking out oil real bad at the timing cover to pump surface. So I went in and changed the oil seal.

It worked for about 10 miles and started leaking.
So I decided to update the oil pump to the new one and was worried about it leaking again so I used the copper sealent on the pump to timing cover surface to seal it.

Also it came with a bigger spring than the origianl one in the 89 so I installed.
So would this longer spring cause lower oil pressure or higher oil pressure?

Sorry for being long but though you should know the whole story

Thanks for any info

hepcat

I don't have the answer for you, but I hope someone answers because I might have a problem with mine too. My oil pressure goes up and down not dependent of rpm, just idling it does that.

Are you going off a real oil pressure guage or the factory.
If the factory then the oil sender could be bad. If you did replace it then if you have many miles on that thing there could be alot of crud in there arround that spring causing it to fluctuate because the pressure spring can't move smoothly. It just might be opening the spring to release the pressure while jumping back wish would cause the needle to fluckshuate.

Just some ides.

Raymond

Back