Anyone dumping the clutch at 5k with slicks?

SCCoupe50

If so, how is your drivetrain holding together? Big car, big torque, and big traction, means big stress on the drivetrain. What is the weakest link? What have you all broken from doing this?

SCCoupe50 said:
If so, how is your drivetrain holding together? Big car, big torque, and big traction, means big stress on the drivetrain. What is the weakest link? What have you all broken from doing this?

Nothing so far (over 400rwhp). :) Weakest link in my case is the tires. (9" slicks)

Ive done it alot at 4k, no problems (thank god). I have a LUK replacement clutch , 3.27 gears, and hoosier slicks if that is of any use to you.

SCCoupe50 said:
Any traction loss with hot slicks? What size are you running? How wide can I go on stock rims?

How wide you can go and how wide your effective footprint is going to be are two different things. About 8" of actual footprint is about all you will get. Since they don't make 16" slicks, you will be looking at 10.5 / 16 ET Streets or equivalent.

XR7 Dave said:
How wide you can go and how wide your effective footprint is going to be are two different things. About 8" of actual footprint is about all you will get. Since they don't make 16" slicks, you will be looking at 10.5 / 16 ET Streets or equivalent.

Hoosier makes a 28x10 16" slick. I'd pointed Chris Wise to them 'cause he needed a bit more rollout with the 4.11s.

As for weakest link, if you have a good clutch (the LUK stock replacement above is probably slipping just a little with slicks) and a good traction lok or differential, the first thing to break will be the out CV joint where the splines end. Trust me on this one.... it's the first thing to break. :rolleyes: :p

I've snapped the output shaft clean in two with my 5-speed. This was with street tires. I have since fixed the tranny and launch around 3k on slicks without a problem....yet. The halfshafts are original from 92...with 108k of hard driving and lots of 1st and 2nd gear brakestands( got to love line-lock). So in my case...the tranny was first to go, and the axles and clutch are still holding up.....

super red91 said:
You were the one who snapped a shaft at the shootout and made all the mothers cover their childrens ears :p :D

Yes yes that would be me. That would be the 2nd one in 500 miles. Broke the original on that side at the V6 Ford Challenge overMemorial Day weekend.

Back