timing check?

wongy

I know timing isn't adjustable, but how do we check the timing on our cars.
I'm starting to think my timing might be off.

If you have a scanner with live data, like the AutoXray, you can monitor the actual timing. However, if you have an earlier SC with the plastic shroud around the harmonic balancer, some of them came with traditional timing marks on them. Not very accurate I would think because of the way the shroud is attached to the sump bolts; but you could give it a try using a DIS compatible timing light.

I think you pull the spout plug and then check with a timing light and observe 15 DBTC. When you pull the spout plug, the EEC can't control timing anymore and the DIS will use the default setting which is something you can check.

Yes, I believe TBird is right you also have to pull the gray spout plug, which leaves the timing at the base EEC setting. What makes you think yours is wrong anyways, because it's set by the EEC and not adjustable.

I'm im not mistaken, it should be around 10* BTDC. I'm not around my shop manual, but I think that's what the value is from last time checking my car.

I just want to check the timing because i'm having a hard time starting
the car when its warm but has no problem starting when car is cold
?????

Sure it's not your starter?

wongy said:
I just want to check the timing because i'm having a hard time starting
the car when its warm but has no problem starting when car is cold
?????

Nope, its not my starter, nor my cam sensor, dis module or fuel pump.
I'm running out of ideas...... :confused:

Many of us have problems with warm restarts...the theorys range from winter formulated gas boiling in the rails, to EEC strategies not providing enough or too much fuel on a warm motor.

Mine starts fine, but will sometimes stall if you give it any gas during the first 45 seconds. If it stalls it acts like it flodded and won't start unless you hold the gas pedal to the floor. It seems that once the car goes into closed loop mode and starts reading the o2 sensors everything is fine.

Do a search on warm starting and you will find lots of info.

David

Back