Cold Air Intake question

adpsmp

Has anyone seen the 2 Piece Chrome Cold Air Intake that "Spinning Wheels" has for sale? It's a good looking piece but it has a bend before the MAF and I've seen several threads about the potential problems with that. Was there any final good/bad determination about having a bend before the MAF?

I was told that XR7 Dave was pretty knowledgeable about this issue...so help me XR7 Dave...or anyone else who might know.

If you look lower on that same page, there is a pic of the whole thing assembled...it shows where the MAF is.

adpsmp said:
Has anyone seen the 2 Piece Chrome Cold Air Intake that "Spinning Wheels" has for sale? It's a good looking piece but it has a bend before the MAF and I've seen several threads about the potential problems with that. Was there any final good/bad determination about having a bend before the MAF?

I was told that XR7 Dave was pretty knowledgeable about this issue...so help me XR7 Dave...or anyone else who might know.

You can use the first part of the pipe, but the part that goes down into the fenderwell is bad news for your MAF. Don't like the HP claims either. SW also carries the MP Fresh air intakes. Get one of those in the 3" version...

adpsmp said:
If you look lower on that same page, there is a pic of the whole thing assembled...it shows where the MAF is.

Your right I stand corrected, should have looked at the whole page. Would have to see some feed back on this unit, don't really like the bend before the MFS myself.

The one listed that Spinning Wheels is selling is the MAC intake for our cars. As you said, some people do and do not have good success with the MAC or FCI/ZR intake.

As you pointed out, XR7Dave (sparky) knows what he is talking about so I would lean towards what he recommends for an intake system on our cars.

If you're not sure, keep asking questions but for sure, seek out the more knowledgeable people on this board and take their recommendations and suggestions. Remember, the more knowledgeable people here lend their advice and are not trying to promote a product they sell.

Personally, I think the best CAI offered for our cars is the Magnum Powers (MP) intake or something very similar to the MP intake. Several of our vendors offer this intake so shop around before you buy.

Last edited:
THIS WILL ADD 35 TO 45+ HP MORE WITH A 75MM T. BODY!

It's not a new design it's just a MAC cold air intake and the HP claims are total BS. It will look better and sound better, but IMO it isn't going to make any extra power over the stock air box with silencer removed. And unless you already have a magnum powers inlet plenum, the 75 mm TB isn't going to make any more power than a 70 mm, because the stock plenums are only 68mm when ported.

I do think they are the best looking intake system out there, but I never bought one because of concerns with the MAF being too close to the bend in the air filter pipe.

David

whats wrong

What is truly wrong with this I have been wanting something like this one for a while cause that is a true cai it doesn ot get that hot *** air from the engine compartment now the 90 degree bend right before the mass airflow is bad you dont want sharp bends in the exhaust nor air plumbing but still this seems to me to be a better design Idea then magnum powers. in my eyes the need a gradual bend to the mass airflow and the one behind it needs to be shorter and straight. also it needs one of ths bypass valves that imports use to keep from sucking in water and I think that id would be damn good.

Ok...that answers that...so my next question would be: If I go with the MP CAI with a 3" tube, will I have any problems with fitting it to a 75mm TB and 76mm MAFS?

adpsmp said:
Ok...that answers that...so my next question would be: If I go with the MP CAI with a 3" tube, will I have any problems with fitting it to a 75mm TB and 76mm MAFS?

No fitment problems with that combo.

David

What you really need is the MP CAI along with a cold air divider or the March air box.

David Neibert has the MP cold air divider but I don't think it's offered anymore. You just need something to isolate the air filter from the engine compartment. Some people bought the MP cold air divider and some have made their own using Plexiglas or other materials. David Neibert has a really good picture of the MP unit on his car. Maybe he will see this post and provide a picture.

I believe the March box can be bought separately from Summit (that's where I bought mine) or SuperCoupe Performance.

For your MAF and TB connections, you will want some silicone transition hoses (3.00 ID to 3.25 ID x 3.00 Long). You can find and buy them here. Just scroll down until you find "Silicone Turbo Hose-Transition". That should take care of you.

Duane,

Magnum Powers has recently resumed sale of the cold air dividers....Kurt K just installed one on his car last month. It looks like this.

neibert4.jpg

David

Or you could just get a ZR intake and not have to deal with any of the MAF issues or the cold air divider.

BTW I don't have a lot of faith in the cold air dividers. I'm sure it's better than having no cold air divider, but it doesn't seal completely, plus I'm sure there is a difference between having the cone filter out in the high pressure area up under the front bumper, versus in a small "box" area where the air has to be pulled through a hole in the sheet metal.

Incidentally, as long as I'm b*tching about stuff, unless the MAF is designed to sit right on the cone filter, that's just as bad as having a bend before it. Air flow right after the cone is turbulent. Pro-M makes some MAFs that are designed for use right on the cone, but the Bullet type that most of us have is not one of those. Anyway, food for thought.

Rob,

I liked the ZR intake better too. Unfortunatly I sold mine along with my 75mm TB and 76mm C&L MAF when I switched to the larger MP stuff. They have since stopped making them.

David

I've got the MAC c.a.i. for over 2 years and don't have any problem with it so far. It has to give you some hp because I run 14.4 ET with MAC c.a.i. and cutback exh.

Re: ...

Burbank95sc said:
I've got the MAC c.a.i. for over 2 years and don't have any problem with it so far. It has to give you some hp because I run 14.4 ET with MAC c.a.i. and cutback exh.

I'm just curious what did it run before you install the MAC intake? and what MAF are you running MAC with ?

I didn't run before the MAC. I put MAC c.a.i and instaled the cutbuck exh a month after I bought my car I was running stock MAF that time now I have 76 maf and 70t.b.

Back