Car does not shift when engine is on..5speed

DGernmann

I have a 94 SC 5 speed and have this weird problem. MY car does not shift when the engine is on. I checked the hydrolic fluid level and it is okay. The car shifts fine when it is off and the clutch is pressed down but as soon as I have the car running it does not shift at all. Fluid is okay...and the master cylinder was replaced about a year ago. Pedal is stiff does not jiggle but feels like it is not pressurizing the system. What could it be? A leak in the line? Needs to be bleed?? Any ideas would be great thanks alot! I tried pumping it and nothing seems to build pressure.

Drew

Im an auto guy but I believe theres a slave cylinder on the transmission bell housing check that look for leaks. if its leaking around the seal replace it and bleed the system. With the car in gear not running can you push in the clutch and move the car? If not its probiblly the master or slave clutch cilander

Yes

Motohead said:
Im an auto guy but I believe theres a slave cylinder on the transmission bell housing check that look for leaks. if its leaking around the seal replace it and bleed the system. With the car in gear not running can you push in the clutch and move the car? If not its probiblly the master or slave clutch cilander

Yeah I can move the car when it is off. It works perfectly when the engine is not on.

This is just a wild guess but years ago I had the same problem with a 4 speed torino. It ended up being motor mounts. When the engine was running it pulled everything over just a tad and the clutch would not work right.

Nope

Motohead--It doesn't grind just doesn't move at all like its stuck...and when the car is off it moves freely and doesn't grind either.

Tim-The motor mounts are new about 10,000 miles on them.

Thanks for the help guys I am stumped on this one....I have to take a good look at her today. Keep you posted and keep the suggestions coming!!!!

Thanks,
Drew

Try this.........

put the car in gear with the engine off, push in on the clutch and start the engine. If it moves while you have it in gear, the clutch depressed and the engine turning over trying to start, it could be a leaking or bad slave cylinder (check to see if any brake fluid is dripping from the tranny bell housing) not releasing the clutch or a bad master cylinder. If it does not move but you pull it out of gear and then cannot get it back into gear, it is probably a seized pilot bearing or bad master cylinder.

Hope this helps!

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, UD Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73mm CL MAF (Blue Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under-drive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76mm CL MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Pro-Torque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 LB-FT Torque.

Ed wont he have to bypas the netural safty switch to do that ?

So far youve got 2 auto guys responding
How about some help from some more Manual owners!!

Last edited:
Did it

I put the car in 1st and started it by pushing in the clutch. It starts and it does not push itself out of gear, but when I try to put it in neutral it is really hard to pull and finally it goes into neutral, once in neutral it does not go back into gear. So I guess at this point either slave or master, hopefully not pilot bearing.....I checked and there is no leaks at all. Called my garage and said samething master or slave maybe....called a trans place and they said..Clutch...LOL... Clutch is new hopefully a faulty master. Sucks tho if it is because I called AAA and its getting towed, but I can do a master by myself in 30 mins...

Thanks for the help. What you think ED??

The only difference between the transmission when the engine running and not running is that the output shaft is spinning.

Thus if you can't change gears when the engine is spinning that means that somehow rotation is still being transfered to the transmission, even when the clutch is depressed.

Why it works when the engine off is simply that you're able to move the gears in the transmission from the pressure with your hand.

For some reason, the clutch is not completely letting loose of the flywheel. Either due to excess travel required, a bad slave cylinder, a bad master cylinder, or some other similar mechanical failure.

If you to take your vehicle to a level parking lot with the tires full of air and start it with it in first gear, I would guess the vehicle will try to move forward, ever so slightly, if you were to release the brakes.

All fixed....

Well took it to my mechanic: Said the slave cylinder went, killing the pressure plate and clutch..

New items installed were: pilot bearing, slave cylinder, clutch and pressure plate.

Said $375 for parts and......$670!!! for labor..so grand total of $1107.

I love my SC soo much..thats why its for sale, I have spent $8,000 in the last 6 months at this shop....and the kicker is the engine was replaced 2xs and the clutch had about 8,000 miles on it.

Do you think I paid to much for the work? I actually didn't pay yet. Let me know I think its too damn much.

Drew

A bad slave cylinder doesn't damage a clutch unless it leaked all over it. And it's not going to hurt a pressure plate.

Did you see the failed parts?

Really?

I know nothing about transmissions..especially 5 speeds.. He said the pressure plate got bent somehow?? And the forks were damaged?? Not sure. I am going to ask to see the parts I was planning on asking him anyhow, too see. When I was able to shift it when the car was off the clutch felt fine but just wouldn't go into gear when the car was on, so maybe he is full of BS.

Drew

Just my guess....

I would assume you bent the forks trying to force in and out of gear. While you were changing the clutch, why didn't you go ahead and change the slave cylinder while you were in there? As you can see now, it would have been cheap(er) preventive maintenance.

Thanks

Well no need to give me an attitude. They may be what happened, and I would have had the slave changed but I did not do the work myself, and I did not know that the slave would fail that soon. Thanks. Tip to prevent rude combacks use preventive maintence and not be so rude next time. Just a tip.

Yeah not everyone is as brilliant as some others...but I'm thinking the shop messed it up. If it was a new clutch and the job was done properly then there shouldn't be any way for the pressure plate to be bending forks. I hate to say it, but maybe they are taking you for a ride. The problem with getting into and out of gear seems most likely a pilot bearing problem. Cheap part, but alot of labor to get to it.

Im gona say throw out bearing. that woud have prevented the trans from going in gear if it partialy froze or loss of pressure to the system but make sure they replace everything. They come in kits of pressure plate, clutch, throw out bearing and pilot bearing
then go with master and slave cylender. It boils down to you gota trust the shop you pick to do the work. Its a real pain to drop the trans on any bird and most trans shops charge accordingly.

Back