Need help with Head Gasket

rolledthatho

hey guys, ive just inherited a 1990 thunderbird 3.8 got it from a friend for free, but the only problem is it has a blown head gasket, i figured id tear it down and have the heads pressure checked and decked and install new gaskets

the only problem is, i dont know how...lol this is gonna be my "learn" car just wondering if there was a write up or a "how to" on this topic ive heard all about the weak head gaskets on these things and so i figured the job gets done many times. any help or pix would be great

TIA

Rolled....!

Best advise is to use the search feature, at the top task bar, because there is wealth of information on the Super Coupe in this site but not the non, supercharged cars, but a lot of the info and procedures is the same, best deal is to buy a maintenance manual for your car, available at a lot of book stores, sometimes cheaper on the net, try typing in your google search for auto manual, etc. good luck, Frank H. aka White Lightning aka Raven.

I would have to agree with White Lightning. Use the search, and take a look at the engine and walk through it step by step, so that you have an idea of what needs to be done. This way you can get all the tools that you might need at the time when youa re taking it apart. But if you run into any problems don't hesitate to post, and someone should be able to help you...

P.S. Do you have any pics of the T-Bird ??? where are you located??

Good Luck
:)

SuperCoupe007 said:
I would have to agree with White Lightning. Use the search, and take a look at the engine and walk through it step by step, so that you have an idea of what needs to be done. This way you can get all the tools that you might need at the time when youa re taking it apart. But if you run into any problems don't hesitate to post, and someone should be able to help you...

P.S. Do you have any pics of the T-Bird ??? where are you located??

Good Luck
:)

I inherited a 3.8 N/A with 75,000 on it 3 years ago. It was crippled also with the blown head gasket virus that these cars are infected with. I soon found out that it was a common problem. I pulled the heads had the checked and installed some new fel-pros. The car now has 185,000 on it and still going. I did this in the driveway of my parents place and it wasnt that big a deal.

Scrap

Search.......

It took me a long time to figure out what search means (try again, you will get it right). I will tell you. If you cant re-do them with this site get a moped. I have just gotten done mine....well almost there and these guys and this site are incredible. They both were inspirational when I was going to give up. It can be done even by someone with the most basic mechanical abilty. I love this site and the knowledge........awww come here man and give me a hug!....Welcome to the supercoupe club!

What are the typical signs that your head gaskets will blow in a little while? Just wondering... if anyone knows?

Problem....!

rhodes588 said:
What are the typical signs that your head gaskets will blow in a little while? Just wondering... if anyone knows?
Problem is sometime there are NO symptoms, as in mine ran fine, I needed new motor mounts, etc. so, decided to do it ALL. good thing, when I pulled the heads the gaskets, were right on the ragged edge, wish I was good with a camera, I'd love to show how good a car can run and be that close to destruction! Baiscally if you have a lot of mileage, (mine had 147k) change them for the piece of mind. cheers and beers, Frank H.

Back