gear ratios

pock1

hi guys i have a few scs,a 4.6 cougar and a 5.0 t-bird. my 1 question is.......what are the gear ratios on the 89-92 automaics?.......2 Q.......what are the gear ratios on the 89 5-speeds?........3 what is the gear ratios on the 4.6 and 5.0s?...........i have so many cars for parts and i can't tell them the specs on the rear ends lol whoa. thx for ur help.......tony, ny, with so many cars..............and no place to put em lmaooooooooooooooo.

Axle ratios..........!

Tony! the carrier, from the back will have a tag on it, it is hanging on a bolt on the back cover. on the tag there will be two lines of info, the bottom line nearest the bolt hole, it will say 2L:73, 273 locker, or 2:73, 2:73 open, or 3L:27, 3:27 Locker, etc, all automatic SC's SHOULD have 3L:27's all 5spd's SHOULD have 2L73's, please don't quote these as there are optional diff's such as 3L:73's, etc. 4.6's, 5.0's I don't have a clue, but as I said, the diff tag will tell you what you want to know. Frank H. aka White Lightning aka Raven.

The decal on the drivers' door pillar also has the diff. codes. I think MN12 or TCCOA has that chart on their web sites.

Little bit of correction from above. All 89-93 SC auto have 3.27 with trac-loc, 94/95 had traction control and some have said 94 had 3.27 while 95 had 3.31. There has been a rumor that the early 89 auto SC might of had 3.08's with a 3.27 option, but I don't know if this has been confirmed or not.

Most of the 5.0/4.6 should have had either a 3.08 or 3.27 with trac-loc being optional. There has never been a factory option gear ratio more then the 3.27 for the MN-12 cars.

Erhmm......!

Thanks for setting me straight guys, that is precisely why I was a little tongue in check about answering his question, as in ALL things one answer never fits all, listen to two guys argue about what is standard on REAL COBRA'S, oooooohhhhh, you may have to break them up!!!!???!!!. Erhmmm, yeah, they have a door tag code, but I can't figure out how to change it to reflect the gear change I made, see what I mean, diff tag is positive! I hope I'm not coming off as argumetative, I didn't intend it to be, cheers and beers W. L.

Back