Weird electrical problem

fleetwoodguy79

Alright I'm gonna try to explain this as un-complicated as possible...

Replaced the battery, when starting the car back up the ABS and brake light were on, and the information center wasn't on. I also tried the turn signals and they didn't work either. Well I pushed her into the garage for my transmission swap and its sat there for 3 weeks until today.

Got the tranny in, started it back up with the same problem. The brake pedal is really stiff, and the warning lights are still on. When I put it into gear and pushed the brake down, my information center came back for a minute and the ABS light went off. I let off the pedal and the problem came back. This proceeded for a few moments, then turned it off. Fuses look to be all good, what could be causing this? I take it that its a short somewhere, but I have no idea where to even start, just starting to learn about this car! Anyone have any help? Thanks!

10 bucks

For just about $10, go get an ignition switch form your local parts store. I had a very very similar problem on my old 91', months of testing led me to the ignition switch, which went bad! So go ahead and replace it...it is very easy to do, you just need a sequirity torx bit (the one with the hole in the middle) if I remember correctly. Atleast on the 91. Good luck, let me know if it worked!

Aaron

unclenick said:
Yep, the electrical part of ignition switch is bad. I just replaced mine for same symptoms :)
So are you saying that if I replace the electrical part of the ignition switch then I can keep the same key? I'm Confused! I'm currently experiencing no turn signals, ABS/Brake warning lights and the A/C wont work!!!! Thanks!

Ignition switch

FearThis SC said:
So are you saying that if I replace the electrical part of the ignition switch then I can keep the same key? I'm Confused! I'm currently experiencing no turn signals, ABS/Brake warning lights and the A/C wont work!!!! Thanks!

I have the same question about which part to replace. I found my key loose in the on position and had the same problem electrically. I looked at both parts at Autozone today. I am guessing we need to replace the lock cylinder portion, since the other part is just a box with electrical connections. Am I correct?

The switch in question is not the key part but it located on the steering collum. From the tumblers or key there is a shaft that leads to the switch itself. The tumblers do go bad but the switch is what you need to replace as they fall apart. It is the box with the electrical connections.

Parts house

FearThis SC said:
Thanks for clearing that up for us two. Any idea which national parts house will have that switch?

I was at Autozone today and they had it in stock. I'm heading back to get it today. I have found that they have more in stock than Advance/Discount Auto. Since A & D merged they haven't had anything I need.

Back