Having probs with my gas gauge after white gauge install??

ERamos

I installed my white faced gauges a while ago and messed up my gas gauge when I did it, it doesn't fluxuate from full to empty, only about 1/4, I tried moving the needle where it should be with my finger but it still sticks until a certain point.......anyone have any ideas, can I plug in a new one, if I broke it......thanks......

Last edited:
I remember that happening to me too. The gauge is probably ok. I thought the instructions gave you some tips on that and, I can't quite recall what I did. I think I took the needle off, switched the ignition on & off and then re-set the needle. Do you remember how much fuel was in the tank before you put the white covers on?

Needle

I have been driving it on and off so I have a good idea where it should be and by the low fuel light....but I could never get the needle off, like it doesn't seem it should come off, I actually slid the white gauge over the needle to install......tips anyone.....

You should have got a small tool with the gauge face set. It's like a miniture tack remover, just has a forked end to slip under the needle/pin and lever it off.

well it depends on what gauges he got.. if he just ordered them from scott, then he didn't get a needle removal tool..

my best suggestion is to get the tank filled, and look where the needle lands. if it goes way beyond F, then you got the needle in the wrong spot, take a regular fork, slide it under the needle, and SLOWLY but firmly pry the needle off and move it to the new position of where it's supposed to be.

One other suggestion:
Put a soft towel or paper towel between the fork and guage face. You wouldn't want to scrath the new guage faces. ;)

i had the same problem. you need to pop the needle off carefully with a dinner fork. the best thing to do is run your tank til the light comes on. then with it running, pop the needle on empty wherever you want it to be buried on empty. i put mine just on the left edge of the red on empty. mine goes to just over full, then it goes down quicker than usual but it gets to empty right on the edge of that red line, then the light comes on.

I AM USE TO WATCHING MY GAS MILAGE SO IF U KNOW HOW MANY MILES U GET TO A TANK FILL IT AND WATCH THE MILAGE LEAVE THE CLEAR COVER OFF THE GAUGES AND WHEN U GET TO THAT MILAGE GO TO THE GAS STATION AND PULL THE NEEDILE OFF AND PUT IT AT EMPTY THEN FILL UP AND U WILL BE GOOD TO GO WHEN I DID THIS I CARRIED A FULL GAS CAN WITH ME JUST IN CASE
GOOD LUCK
NICK
sorry about the caps im not yelling

Gauge

Thanks guys I will try the fork thing...will let you know if it works, when I get the chance

Gas Gauge

I tried the fork trick when the car was running, placed the needed where it should be and it has been fine, that fixed it.........thanks for the help

Back