Paint question: Why is white not clearcoat?

J.D.

SCCoA Member
Does anyone know why white is the only color that is not clearcoat on 91-97 models? Is it because clearcoat yellows with age and is most noticeable on white paint?
Also, what is 3-stage (again for white, 94-97)?
Thanks.

J.D. said:
Does anyone know why white is the only color that is not clearcoat on 91-97 models? Is it because clearcoat yellows with age and is most noticeable on white paint?
Also, what is 3-stage (again for white, 94-97)?
Thanks.

I dont know about 91-97 but they didnt have any problems painting a clearcoat over my white 1990 SC. no yellow yet
A 3 stage paint job would be;
1 the base coat (color coat)
2 clearcoat with color added
3 final layer of clearcoat

ibew112 said:
I dont know about 91-97 but they didnt have any problems painting a clearcoat over my white 1990 SC. no yellow yet
A 3 stage paint job would be;
1 the base coat (color coat)
2 clearcoat with color added
3 final layer of clearcoat

Three stage paints are usually pearlescent paints like white opalescent. They have base coat, pearl coat, and then clearcoat. For whatever reason Ford did not clearcoat the early cars, so we got a single stage white paint code YO. In 94, I think they started clearcoating white, and it's not the same paint code either. Metallics are usually two stage with a basecoat and then a clearcoat.

Jerry

And just to complicate things more, the auto body shops don't carry the original oxford white just a clearcoat replacement paint. Means the whole car has to be essentially repainted. Probably for the best anyway.

Guys, thanks for the answers.
I still don't understand why ONLY Oxford white did not get a clearcoat layer. What was so special or different about it?

Just a guess but I'd say it was cheaper or easier for Ford. One huge buy of paint, one pass (dip) on the production line (less time, and time=$$$) and out the door. Add that to it's non metallic so there was little risk of it deteriorating and flaking in a relatively short time like a metallic or clearcoat will and it saves some warranty work - maybe.

Well, so far it's the best coat of paint I've ever had. Still as smooth as a baby's bottom.

J.D. said:
Well, so far it's the best coat of paint I've ever had. Still as smooth as a baby's bottom.
I second that. I've abused the hell out of the Oxford White on my '84 TC, and the only places the paint's wrecked are where the body underneath is rusting away. :D

TbirdSCFan said:
And just to complicate things more, the auto body shops don't carry the original oxford white just a clearcoat replacement paint. Means the whole car has to be essentially repainted. Probably for the best anyway.

Well nobody shoots single stage much anymore. I know a bodyman that does paint work on the side. He painted my nephew's 90 SC with base/clear Oxford White on the bumpers. It's a little brighter white and very glossy. I doubt most could tell it was repainted. Looks a lot better than replacement bumper black primer and peeling paint on the rear.

Jerry

Back