Quick Easy Question - HOW MUCH OIL?

Matt94GT

Quick Easy Question - HOW MUCH OIL? help asap

Gonna do a oil change, how much oil do I need to add (Liters) Im Canadain heh.

Also what oil do you reccomend, I have higher kms (236,000km) 15-W30?

Thanks

Last edited:
Totally drained, including the filter it is very close to 5 quarts. I normally put in 4.1/2 qts at first, then check it after it's off the ramps or jack stands. I believe a quart is around 0.9 liters; so 5 bottles/litres should just about do it. As to grade that's very debatable, I use 5w30 synthetic (like Mobil 1) for just the winter months (say Nov - Mar) and 10w30 the rest of the year. That's in my 200,000m '93 and my 120,000m '94. No leaks and, doesn't burn any oil either between 3-4,000m change intervals. Some people who run these cars hard, down the drag strip, etc swear by 15w50 synthetic. However, for normal use, especially north of the border I'd go with 5w30 right now.

Joisey Jim said:
Totally drained, including the filter it is very close to 5 quarts. I normally put in 4.1/2 qts at first, then check it after it's off the ramps or jack stands. I believe a quart is around 0.9 liters; so 5 bottles/litres should just about do it. As to grade that's very debatable, I use 5w30 synthetic (like Mobil 1) for just the winter months (say Nov - Mar) and 10w30 the rest of the year. That's in my 200,000m '93 and my 120,000m '94. No leaks and, doesn't burn any oil either between 3-4,000m change intervals. Some people who run these cars hard, down the drag strip, etc swear by 15w50 synthetic. However, for normal use, especially north of the border I'd go with 5w30 right now.

I dont run my car very hard, it burns oil slightly but I do have some syntetic 5-W50 in my garage just sitting there mabye ill use that? think it will be okay?

Last edited:
Matt94GT said:
I dont run my car very hard, it burns oil slightly but I do have some syntetic 5-W50 in my garage just sitting there mabye ill use that? think it will be okay?

anyone? Is 5W-50 okay to run in my SC? What about 10W-30?

Matt

Matt94GT said:
anyone? Is 5W-50 okay to run in my SC? What about 10W-30?

Matt
Well.. you can't go wrong with 10w-30.. as for 5w50? Guess someone with a lot of 5w50 miles will have to comment on that. Sounds a bit heavy to me. I have 180,000 city/highway miles on 10w30. It has dripped oil to the tune of about 1qt for every 1200 miles from day 1; but no fouled plugs and no blow by. I just keep it topped off and change every 5000 miles like it was new. Oh.. and original head gaskets, but I'm going to swap them out anyway as I seem to have a bit of unexplained coolant loss.

One thing to check for sure is the valve covers. The gaskets are notorious for leaking. You can tighen them down by hand but not too tight. A flex shaft and deep 8mm socket is needed if you don't plan on dissassembling 1/2 the top of the engine. Screwdriver snug plus a bit and no more as its soft metal.

Last edited:
Joisey Jim said:
Totally drained, including the filter it is very close to 5 quarts. I normally put in 4.1/2 qts at first, then check it after it's off the ramps or jack stands. I believe a quart is around 0.9 liters; so 5 bottles/litres should just about do it.
Just to make it more clear, you should actually need about 4.75 liters, and you'd probably want to put in 4.25 and then check it.

Well Matt - do you want to sell that synthetic 5w50, only kidding !!! The 5w would be good for winter start-up v. 10w, but as you've experienced there are a million opinions. From what I've read if you stretch any oil from 5 to 50w that's a lot of polymer additive needed to thicken the oil. Which means less base stock and, in the case of synthetic you probably aren't getting value for money.

Back