*newb* faster for cheap

And don't worry about "cluttering" up the forum. People with post counts over 3000 should be more worried about that. :D

XR7 Dave said:
And don't worry about "cluttering" up the forum. People with post counts over 3000 should be more worried about that. :D

People with over 3000 posts know what their talkin about so have the right to clutter up the forums Dave, You should know that! :p

I'd say do exhaust I gained .5 sec off mine :D

and not to steal your thread but I don't know why every topic should be searched instead of asked again. Nothing is hurt by revisiting an old topic. Things change new parts come out. If you don't have any input don't post. New people have new opinions so ask away. :cool:

I think gears and under drive pulleys should be the first mods on every SC. 3.73s for an auto and 3.27s for 5 speeds.

David

David Neibert said:
I think gears and under drive pulleys should be the first mods on every SC. 3.73s for an auto and 3.27s for 5 speeds.

David

Not to sound like a complete idiot (which won't be avoided here), what do the gear ratios stand for? Just wondered what the magic behind the numbers was.

SCownerIL said:
Not to sound like a complete idiot (which won't be avoided here), what do the gear ratios stand for? Just wondered what the magic behind the numbers was.
No idiocy at all in that question. (Remember, the idiot's the one who doesn't ask.) The first number is the number of times the input shaft rotates. The second is always 1, which is the number of times the output shaft(s) rotate(s). Now, the more times the input shaft turns relative to the output shaft, the greater the mechanical advantage, and the more power you seem to have.
So, if I have a transmission in first gear, and the gear ratio is 3.75:1, the driveshaft turns once for every 3.75 times the engine's crankshaft turns. That driveshaft goes into the differential, of course. If the differential has a ratio of 2.73:1, then your total drive ratio is 3.75 * 2.73 = 10.2375:1. So, in first gear in a manual-transmission '89-'93 SC with a 2.73 rear, the engine turns 10.2375 times for every time the rear wheels turn.
Now, you'll notice that there's two ratios you could change -- the transmission and the differential. Generally, you design the transmission gear ratios so that when you shift at the top of your power band, you hit the next gear at the start of your power band. You use the differential gear ratios to optimize for acceleration or highway cruising (or top speed), mostly because it's a lot easier to change the gears in the differential than it is to change the gears in the transmission!
Hope this helps. Probably more information than you really wanted. Oh well. :)

SCownerIL said:

The numbers stand for input to output ratios.

For Example: With 3.27 gears the driveshaft/input pinion rotates 3.27 times for each rotation of the axle shaft/tire. On the same car equipped with 3.73 gears the driveshaft/input pinion would rotate 3.73 times for each rotation of the axle shaft/tire, which makes it easier for the engine to accellerate the weight of the car.

David

I went the safe and reliable route in this order:

flushed all fluids
plugs and wires
resonator
mufflers
intercooler fan
5% pulley

Then went to the drag strip on a cold and windy 47 degree day. :)

14.606 at 96.48 with a 2.259 60ft

90blkbrd said:
I went the safe and reliable route in this order:

flushed all fluids
plugs and wires
resonator
mufflers
intercooler fan
5% pulley

Then went to the drag strip on a cold and windy 47 degree day. :)

14.606 at 96.48 with a 2.259 60ft

Your car is a factory freak...hang onto it. Most SCs would be lucky to run 15.0 @ 90 with those mods.

David

David Neibert said:
Your car is a factory freak...hang onto it. Most SCs would be lucky to run 15.0 @ 90 with those mods.

David
Ouch! Freak? Maybe special or out of the ordinary.

David,

3.77's, 95 ported blower and inlet, nitrous and I will be nipping at your heals. :)

I'm joking, actually I am building a 2005 Shootout stock class special. :p

Ouch! Freak? Maybe special or out of the ordinary.

Freak as in Freaky fast (it's a good thing/compliment).

3.77's, 95 ported blower and inlet, nitrous and I will be nipping at your heals.

Nip away...by this time next year those AR and Whipple eqquiped SCs are going to make running 11s as common as 12s are now.

David

David Neibert said:
Freak as in Freaky fast (it's a good thing/compliment).

I thought it was a compliment, I guess I am getting old. :)

David Neibert said:
Nip away...by this time next year those AR and Whipple eqquiped SCs are going to make running 11s as common as 12s are now.

David

This was meant as a joke. I spent $500 and I went from what was supposed to be a 16 second car to 14.6. I just wish another $500 would net me 1.5 seconds. :D

In case you didn't read about the Iowa club clash. They didn't prep the track, they said it was to cold. 47 degrees and 30-40 mph winds, I know what you are thinking, they were side winds. I am also running what I believe are 10 year old BF Goodrich tires.

David Neibert said:

David

I'm not so sure David, it takes more to run 11's than HP. I've been saying that for years, no one seems to get it though. I think you are in pretty safe territory for awhile yet. My wife's XR7 will most likely never run 11's so don't worry about that. Tim might be the next one to run 11's.

Back