PDA

View Full Version : Need car related ideas for speech class

Thomas A
10-22-2004, 02:36 AM
I need some help. I am supposed to give a 5-7 minute demonstration speech for my college speech class. Everyone else is going to be doing crap like how to make rice krispie bars and stuff. Obviously, I wanted to do something car related. However, it's kinda hard when you can't bring the car into the class room. The only thing I can think of that would work and be short enough in time is to bring in a cylinder head and demonstrate how to change spark plugs. Anyone else have any ideas? I have a ton of parts laying around that I can use.

Thomas

joe debattista
10-22-2004, 03:26 AM
I would do something that would take a little longer. Spark plugs changing would take like 2 minutes to do. If you have a spindle and brakes you can mach up, then you could show how to do a brake job. That would easily take 5-7 minutes. You could also do a presentation on the operation of that cylinder head in relation to the rest of the motor. I did that once. It worked out okay. Though the spark plugs is a good one to fall back on if you can't think of anything. If you do that you should take the dis unit or a distributor and show them how to take and put on the wires and stuff. Good luck.

MercsSC
10-22-2004, 08:11 AM
I did this once in high school ..took in a rod and piston ..from a sm block chev
and explained what happens in a second of time ..and how many times the piston fires .. at red line @ 5500 rpm

5500rpm / by 2 = 2700 2 = 4 stroke motor fires every 2 cycles or 720* gives you 2700 rpm

2700 / 60[ a minute] = 45.833333. times a second that cyclinder fires

it just amazes me ...dave

90blkbrd
10-22-2004, 08:47 AM
You could bring in a supercharger and explain the benefits of forced induction and how it works.

Mike8675309
10-22-2004, 09:53 AM
How about simply making something shiney. You can bring a buffing wheel and some dull aluminum part and discuss and show how you make aluminum shine. I.E. aligning the grains in the metal along a common path.

XR7 Dave
10-22-2004, 02:28 PM
How about simply making something shiney. You can bring a buffing wheel and some dull aluminum part and discuss and show how you make aluminum shine. I.E. aligning the grains in the metal along a common path. I like this one.

90blkbrd
10-22-2004, 02:33 PM
If your instructor is female, she might fall asleep with the car related things, but they sure seem to like shiny things. :D

Thomas A
10-22-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys! It is a demonstration speech, so I actually have to show how to do or make something. I can't just tell them about it.

I like the idea of polishing something also. However, I don't really have the tools or knowledge to back it up.

Thomas

T-bird4vr
10-22-2004, 06:37 PM
If you want to do something on superchargers I can send you my acoustics presentation. I should have the report as well if you can follow it. It should be pretty basic, I don't remember for sure.