September 2004 Popular Science Article

NorthrnSCownr

I was at a clients house doing some interior trim work and was reading this mag while in the restroom. Its the same issue that has the 350 mph "Supercar".
The article was about a guy in India named Somender Singh. His thing is a prcoess he called Driect Drive. He claims that it makes the engine run cleaner, quieter, and colder, with 20% less gas.
My understanding is that he makes notches and grooves in the cylinder heads with nicks and scraches to help create turbulence and quickly spread the flame to the "narrow reaches of the squish band"(not sure what that means though)
It had some pictures of his heads with carved grooves cut into the chamber. And as he said is to "enhance fuel turbulence and boost engine efficiency by 20%
From what i saw he was trying to get a patent, or some kind of corperate cooperation for his idea, but with little success.
I wonder what you all think about this idea. I am sure I left out some details, as i didnt read the whole article, but I did get the gist so that I could run this by you guys to see what you think.
Tom

I thought that less turbulence was better for fuel injected engines and more turbulence was better for carb'd engines. :confused: Isn't that why we polish intake ports and such after we polish them?

Darkside said:
I thought that less turbulence was better for fuel injected engines and more turbulence was better for carb'd engines. :confused: Isn't that why we polish intake ports and such after we polish them?

I think you should stick to airplanes Chris. :D :p

Not a new concept. However at super high rpm and power levels the effect is diminished if not eliminated. Since we all pattern our goals and aspirations after the fastest and greatest, it never really caught on.

Darkside said:
LOL! Ouch. That hurts Dave. Problem is Dave, I'm not very good at fixing airplanes either. :p

I'll try to keep that in mind next time I'm flying somewhere. :cool: My hero John Lingenfelter studied similar chamber modifications years ago. Thing was it is a mod that improves an innefficient chamber and mostly at low rpm. Current engine designs make very effective use of all available real estate in the chamber such that those modifications are probably of minimal help. Not to mention they become an impedence at when chamber velocities are high.

But then, I probably don't have any idea what I'm talking about. Seriously.

Bear in mind that the guy is in India. He was originally a bike racer or something, and the cars he had there were not high performance types. So perhaps its best use is for those little Indian cars lol :confused:
Tom

NorthrnSCownr said:
Bear in mind that the guy is in India. He was originally a bike racer or something, and the cars he had there were not high performance types. So perhaps its best use is for those little Indian cars lol :confused:
Tom
Didn't we feel the same way about software from India a few years ago? ;)

Back