PDA

View Full Version : Need help, constantly breaking belt on supercharger

Daybirdsc
10-22-2004, 12:15 PM
Ok this is what is happening, in the last 10 mounths ive broken at least three supercharger belts and at least three main belts. I am now replacing anouther supercharger belt today this at the least will make 4 since i bought the car. However I have had no problems with the 3rd belt I thank its attached to the powersterring. and by the way this is not amoney issue on constantly buying belts but more of an annoyince that wont go away.I dont want to buy diffrent pullys unless I have too. Is anybodyelse having this problem or had this problem let me know and please let me know if you know how to fix this annoying problem. I have a 94 SC.

Prick_Racing
11-01-2004, 03:37 PM
WELL SOUNDS LIKE theres something wrong with the car? would that be it

Still Crusin
11-01-2004, 07:49 PM
I've never heard of anyone else having this problem. Are you original owner? Have you verified the belt size is correct? Does the belt last about the same amount of time each time before it breaks? Are the pulleys in good condition and are proper size? Tensioner in good shape?

FearThis SC
11-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Ok this is what is happening, in the last 10 mounths ive broken at least three supercharger belts and at least three main belts. I am now replacing anouther supercharger belt today this at the least will make 4 since i bought the car. However I have had no problems with the 3rd belt I thank its attached to the powersterring. and by the way this is not amoney issue on constantly buying belts but more of an annoyince that wont go away.I dont want to buy diffrent pullys unless I have too. Is anybodyelse having this problem or had this problem let me know and please let me know if you know how to fix this annoying problem. I have a 94 SC.
Hey,
Get in your SC and come to Slidell, I would be more than happy to have a look at it! I live near Oak Harbor in Slidell! Let me know, so I won't be drunk when you come!

FearThis SC
11-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Don't be a D**K, I know its hard, but if your going to post something, make it constructive and add some knowledge to the subject at hand. Let me guess, your working on your post count!

Daybirdsc
11-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Don't be a D**K, I know its hard, but if your going to post something, make it constructive and add some knowledge to the subject at hand. Let me guess, your working on your post count!
Hey man I aint worried about my post count but i just havent been on the web site in a while or at least on long enough to check out post i left weeks ago. But anyway ill try to find out when i might beable to come to slydell and meet up with you. It might take awile though cause in between school and work i dont have alot of time.

Daybirdsc
11-09-2004, 08:01 PM
I've never heard of anyone else having this problem. Are you original owner? Have you verified the belt size is correct? Does the belt last about the same amount of time each time before it breaks? Are the pulleys in good condition and are proper size? Tensioner in good shape?

No I am not the original owner the belts i use are bought from autozone and they seem to fit well there stock pulleys they last at different rates of time some longer then others not sure about condition of pulleys or tentioner. It seems that the main drive belt seems to whare down to a point but then it is fine so i figure with that belt it must be rubbing against something but cant figureout what that is. And for the superchargerbelt it just seems to break whenever it wants.

FearThis SC
11-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Daybird if you re-read my second post, it was in reference to Prick_Racing's post count. NOT yours! Shoot me an email when you decide to come my way!

Daybirdsc
11-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Daybird if you re-read my second post, it was in reference to Prick_Racing's post count. NOT yours! Shoot me an email when you decide to come my way!

My bad man hope to see you Sat.

FearThis SC
11-12-2004, 08:29 AM
What time are you thinking of coming this way, so I won't be drunk when you get here! :eek:

TbirdSCFan
11-12-2004, 06:36 PM
If you guys aren't planning to do so, it would be a good idea to check the pulleys for warpage with the engine running. Also, take the belts off and spin every free pulley and tensioner by hand to find any that are sticking and look for nicks. Azone belts are just as good as any others. I've never lost one and often have to make myself replace them.

Daybirdsc
11-13-2004, 02:03 AM
If you guys aren't planning to do so, it would be a good idea to check the pulleys for warpage with the engine running. Also, take the belts off and spin every free pulley and tensioner by hand to find any that are sticking and look for nicks. Azone belts are just as good as any others. I've never lost one and often have to make myself replace them.
the only pully i ever had stick was the SC belt but :rolleyes: i kinda fixed it myself :rolleyes: since than i dont "think" it has stuck again but hay who know that the poor mans way of fixing things dosent always work.

FearThis SC
11-13-2004, 02:10 AM
the only pully i ever had stick was the SC belt but i kinda fixed it myself
What did you do? Was the SC pulley stuck? The main surpentine belt, is that the one that is breaking the most?

What time are you passing by on Saturday?

Daybirdsc
11-13-2004, 02:21 AM
What did you do? Was the SC pulley stuck? The main surpentine belt, is that the one that is breaking the most?

What time are you passing by on Saturday?
I will try to get there around 1 or 2 but i also got to git that uniform tailerd. i opened up the main casing and spraid wd40 and engine degreaser on the blades because their was a carben buildup on them so after i wated a few hours i used compressed air to blow off the carbon. the pully had verry little give in it. and yes the main belt tends to come apart the most but the SC belt just seems to snap.

FearThis SC
11-13-2004, 03:41 AM
Give me a call when your enroute tomorrow. If we can't figure it out, I'll give a call to the master mechanic in Houston.

See ya tomorrow Eric!

Daybirdsc
11-14-2004, 01:34 AM
Give me a call when your enroute tomorrow. If we can't figure it out, I'll give a call to the master mechanic in Houston.

See ya tomorrow Eric!
sorry about not coming to find you but i was a little :mad: ticked off :mad:about not being able to find the tailoring place cause thier directions sucked. but hopefully sometime next weekend we can meet up. i got your mesedge on my cell but i got to in to work tommoro at 7:30 in the morning so ill see ya when i see ya.

ilusnforc
11-15-2004, 12:07 AM
I have had no problems with the 3rd belt I thank its attached to the powersterring

hmm.... you say the main belt wears fast and breaks? and the supercharger belt just seems to snap? but when you mention a 3rd belt to the power steering..

You should have the main serpentine belt driving all of your accesories (power steering, alternator, water pump, etc...) which is the closest to the front of the car. then your middle and rear belt are both used to drive the supercharger on a jackshaft belt system. So.. I'm guessing that your crank-to-jackshaft belt is fine, and the jackshaft to supercharger keeps randomly snapping? and your main serpentine belt is wearing fast and breaking?

I would say look into the pulleys, that has to be the problem. check them all to be sure all the ribs on the pulleys are smooth, and that all pulleys do turn freely and also watch them as the engine is running to be sure they look like they are spinning straight rather than wobbling. Also, look at the wear patterns on the belt. If the flat back side of the belt is wearing and causing it to break, then you may want to look closely at the idler/tensioner pulleys as the stock ones are plastic and tend to wear down to have flat spots when they should be round and smooth... Other than that.. I don't know what else to tell you. Hopefully Calvin can help you out. Good luck!!

Daybirdsc
11-15-2004, 11:15 PM
hmm.... you say the main belt wears fast and breaks? /////well it just seems to wear down but not break or it never had a chance to break because i changed it after it wore down/////

and the supercharger belt just seems to snap?///// Yes it just snaps without any sine of weare on it/////

but when you mention a 3rd belt to the power steering..///// ok not the powersteering but jackshaft i have neverhad problems with that belt (not attached to the supercharger)/////

So.. I'm guessing that your crank-to-jackshaft belt is fine, and the jackshaft to supercharger keeps randomly snapping? and your main serpentine belt is wearing fast and breaking? :cool: /////yep you got it/////

I would say look into the pulleys, that has to be the problem. check them all to be sure all the ribs on the pulleys are smooth, and that all pulleys do turn freely and also watch them as the engine is running to be sure they look like they are spinning straight rather than wobbling. Also, look at the wear patterns on the belt. If the flat back side of the belt is wearing and causing it to break, then you may want to look closely at the idler/tensioner pulleys as the stock ones are plastic and tend to wear down to have flat spots when they should be round and smooth... Other than that.. I don't know what else to tell you. Hopefully Calvin can help you out. Good luck

FearThis SC
11-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Eric, I will get with you this weekend for sure. Sorry about Saturday, I was on a service call at a clients' home. I can drive out to Covington whenever, let me know when a good time to meet up with you.

Daybirdsc
11-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Eric, I will get with you this weekend for sure. Sorry about Saturday, I was on a service call at a clients' home. I can drive out to Covington whenever, let me know when a good time to meet up with you.
well it looks like the best time for me is going to be this sat. but hey dont worry about last sat. we both got caught up in the crazyness of that day, but i did learn one thing from all that nonsence, my car can drive all day without overheating. thats pretty much my goal for this car since i had to give basically a full tune up just so it would not overheat i think my problem was a bad starter though. well some time later this week we can figure out a place to meet.

FearThis SC
11-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Shoot me your address so I can mapquest it and a good time to meet you on Saturday. I will drive over to you since you already drove this way!

Daybirdsc
11-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Shoot me your address so I can mapquest it and a good time to meet you on Saturday. I will drive over to you since you already drove this way!
162 pear st. covington la. 70433

Daybirdsc
11-16-2004, 06:04 PM
:rolleyes: this may sound like a silly question but until i was looking through the other forems i didnt know the sc's had flip down back seats do they have this on my 94 if so how do you put them down?

FearThis SC
11-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Not all have fold-down rear seats!

Daybirdsc
11-18-2004, 05:03 PM
hey calvan any idea what time you might be swinging by on sat.

FearThis SC
11-18-2004, 06:27 PM
What time will you be there? Do you have tools? Or shall I bring mine with me? I want to try and get there around 9am or so!

Daybirdsc
11-18-2004, 07:37 PM
What time will you be there? Do you have tools? Or shall I bring mine with me? I want to try and get there around 9am or so!
I,ve got some tools mainly the basic set of tools sockets and such. Im home all day so its your choice on time, let me know if you need directions im pretty easy to find i own the only t-bird on my road. just call me when your on the way, you do have my # right?

FearThis SC
11-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Shoot me your number via email so I have it. I will be there around 9am or so Saturday morning.

FearThis SC
11-19-2004, 10:05 PM
Eric,

Plan on seeing me around 9-10ish timeframe tomorrow morning, remember to shoot me your number via email so I have it! SC YA~

Daybirdsc
11-20-2004, 12:32 AM
Eric,

Plan on seeing me around 9-10ish timeframe tomorrow morning, remember to shoot me your number via email so I have it! SC YA~
see ya tomorrow :D

v8killr
12-05-2004, 01:20 AM
If you decide it is the belts (which i dought also) try runnigs these gator back belts from goodyear.I bought mine from summitt racing but i'm pretty sure A-zone sell's them now also.
Here are the part numbers if you need them!
4070425 - $11.99
4080392 - $14.39
4080897 - $28.69
Hope you figure it out.
Dave

Daybirdsc
12-05-2004, 01:44 AM
well here we go again :mad:
Lets start this post off with what happend friday. Im driving down I-20 near monroe, LA im doing about 80 in a poniac aztec when i hit somthing in the road, but i didnt thank nuthin of it ive hit thing before and nuthin happend, then the tire goes flat and the car starts shaking im thinking, crap i gatta flat, and before i can slow down the tire blowsout, and i got chunks of rubber flying over the car. So then i somehow pull over to the side.then I realise i have know idea how to git the spear tire out. After about 15 mimits we findout that the sizzer jack has some stupid comtraption that unlocks the the cover of the spare. so now where finally on our way.

Then i say to myself can this weekend git any worse

Now about the t-bird

Now saturday night, i git back from monroe, and quickly swich cars so i can drive my bird around. after a long anoing day i drop off my freinds who came with me to monroe. drop off the first one no problem, then the 2cd one no problem and im thanking great im ganna git home earley ,git some good sleep and all that other bogus crap. :mad: Now for the bad news :mad: i git about 2 or 3 blocks from the last guys house, when my main drive belt just snaps without warning. So now ive had two cars break down on me withen 30 hours, thats got to be a recard or somthing. So now ive got to find a way to git to autoparts store and buy anouther belt and some more antifreeze sine the belt crosses the radiater hose. Dang, this sucks, i would say what could happen next but i dont want to jinx myself.

Daybirdsc
12-05-2004, 11:28 PM
:mad: Ok i found the problem with what happend sat. night. the hole fricken pully came off, and it wasnt even the sc pully it was the c/s pully wich is where the main belt and the jackshaft connection is on the bottom of the engine. This is where the belt is that i have never had problems with is. so now im stumped the one part of the sytem i thought was good is now broke. :mad:

Thomas95SC
12-06-2004, 01:17 AM
:mad: Ok i found the problem with what happend sat. night. the hole fricken pully came off, and it wasnt even the sc pully it was the c/s pully wich is where the main belt and the jackshaft connection is on the bottom of the engine. This is where the belt is that i have never had problems with is. so now im stumped the one part of the sytem i thought was good is now broke. :mad:

You mean the crankshaft pulley came off :eek:? If so, did the balancer come off with it. You may be a victim of the notorious crank balancer. It seems like all sc's have this problem.

Daybirdsc
12-06-2004, 05:51 PM
You mean the crankshaft pulley came off :eek:? If so, did the balancer come off with it. You may be a victim of the notorious crank balancer. It seems like all sc's have this problem.
where its broke down at i cant go see if the bawlancer came off with it or if it was just the pullly. but if the bad news is as bad as it sounds do you or anybodyelse know how much that would cost to git?

Daybirdsc
12-06-2004, 06:31 PM
well now i know what the bad news is. i broke the hermonic balancer.
:( i had to just sit there and watch'em tow it away, it nearly brought a tear to my eye.

Thomas95SC
12-06-2004, 09:14 PM
I would recommend a BHJ balancer. Their more expensive but they will definantly not break. I got mine for a good price from here http://stores.ebay.com/Spinning-Wheels-SC_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQdptZ0QQpZ5QQsclZallQQsotimedi splayZ2QQtZkm.
They have tons of threads on this including a sticky in the tech forum. Do some research and you'll find all the answers you need.

Thomas

Daybirdsc
12-07-2004, 08:11 PM
:( well it looks like i ganna have to give up my baby and traider in as much as i dont want to. it turns out the only balancer i can git for my car is in california, ford made anyway.

and by the way theres anouther SC in covinton driving around its red with a white top, if i ever see the guy again i'll talk to him and tell him about the website.

i will give an update on if i keep the car, but it looks like she's gone for good :(

v8killr
12-07-2004, 09:18 PM
The stealership won't give you that much for that car.I know they have thos e(push,pull,drag)sales and say they will give you $5,000 on your piece crap car but that it's true because they hide the cost elsewhere in the contract.
Anyway.....sell the car to someone on here and try to get a little more out of it.What kind of shape is it in (besides the pulley problem).I'm not that far from you either what is the car worth to you?
dave

Thomas95SC
12-07-2004, 10:06 PM
Why would you sell it? Just pull off the old balancer and press on a new one. You dont have to get one from ford. They are expensive aftermarket but they are guranteed. I just hate to see someone give up on a SC so easily.

Daybirdsc
12-09-2004, 12:42 AM
The stealership won't give you that much for that car.I know they have thos e(push,pull,drag)sales and say they will give you $5,000 on your piece crap car but that it's true because they hide the cost elsewhere in the contract.
Anyway.....sell the car to someone on here and try to get a little more out of it.What kind of shape is it in (besides the pulley problem).I'm not that far from you either what is the car worth to you?
dave

:confused: I havent gave up the fight to keep my car yet i will let you know if i do decide to give it up. and to your question about what is the car worth to me, its pricless. however selling the car is not up to me, im only 17 years old and my mom bought me this car and she says she dosnt trust the car, she wants somthing dependable even know i love the car :mad: . so like i said i keep up the fight and try to keep my SC. its got kind of an odd paint job and the car is in good shape minus the balancer problem which was problably my belt problems too. i have cut off my exhaust i had planned to put glasspacs on it. if you shoot me email adress i will send you some pics but dont git ahead of yourself im not just ganna sell right off the bat im ganna do my best to hold on to her as long as i can. :o

v8killr
12-09-2004, 01:40 AM
I don't blam you for wanting to hold onto the car i would also.I was just letting you know there are people that would probably buy the car and you wouldn't have to worry about getting ripped off trading it in.As far as putting glass packs on it *DON'T DO IT* they sound like **** and don't add any performance to your car they do nothing but make your car sound like a big sewing machine.There are a bunch of guys in my area with these big trucks that have those that think they have some bad-*** truck when actually they are slow as hell.Anyway i'm getting off the subject,if you do decide to sell the car drop me a line and we can see what you want to do.I hope you get it fixed though,i'm sure if you get that pulley put back on straight you will have it fixed.
Dave
dschwaben1@netzero.com

Daybirdsc
12-11-2004, 01:23 AM
As of now i am not selling the car atleast until spring. hopefully i will not have to sell it ever. because i am not sure if i am going to sell it or not i just got the ford balancer.

markadeck
12-11-2004, 07:11 AM

I'm just cruising this thread and this assinine post jumped out at me. Is this the one that got the above named jerk banned, or did he manage to come up with something sorrier that this?

mkeethler
12-11-2004, 11:34 AM
This may not help much, at least with the supercharger belt, but I discovered the hard way, that there is a difference between tensioners on LX vs. SC. Wife was driving it while I was outa town, serpentine slipped off, tore up hood insulation, and she was clueless, and had it towed!! But I will give her credit, she specified a rollback (Thank God) So, make sure you have the correct tensioner on it.

Daybirdsc
12-12-2004, 11:22 PM
i should have her up and running by thursday at the most. i will let ya now how shes runnin.

Daybirdsc
12-14-2004, 01:20 AM
well shes runnin, pick her up from the shop around 5. runnin smooth but havent reilly had a chance to open her up yet though.