Immediate help needed on balancer install

Jayls5

What do i torque it to??? The 4 bolts that connect the crank pully to the balancer get what ft/lb ?

What does the big bolt get torqued at??

Ok well i found out how much it has to be torqued to but i have another problem. How do i get the new HB all the way in there? The guy from supercoupe performance said I have to get a harmonic balancer install tool but the stores only have the puller. I don't know how to get the thing in far enough so that the bolt can catch! HELP!

Take your new bolt to hardware store and buy another one with same threads/pitch but longer. Also buy a bunch of washers. Put balancer on best you can get by hand. Dont forget the gasket sealer in keyhole, and a little assembly lube around front seal. After getting it on the best you can by hand, take the longer bolt and a washer and screw it in gently until you feel it bottom out. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BOTTOM OUT TOO FAR! Might damage the crank. Back bolt out and add a few more washers, repeat until the stock bolt will screw into crank. ("Stock bolt" as in a NEW stock bolt, NOT the long one bought from hardware store).

OR rent a balancer install tool at autozone or other parts stores.

What is a "Lip Spoiler"?

Have you checked the clearance on the inside of the balancer hub compared to the dimensions on the crankshaft? If it's too far off you'll really have to battle to get it on there, and if you ever have to take it off you'll be really sweating.

The best suggestion I've heard around here is to take the balancer and stick it in the oven.

See this thread for the info from Randy Baker on how to do this.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18407&highlight=balancer+oven (search works well here)

Bob has the right way to do it if you can't find a tool. The install tool is simply a hardened steel bolt with a round metal slug that a wrench can fit on. The bolt screws into the crank snout and then you wrench on the metal slug as it drives the balancer on.

Same thing you can do with a bunch of washers, a longer bolt, and a nut. Make sure you don't pound on the balancer or crank snout with anything trying to get it on there. It's really got to be just pressed on.

Well mine is still on there.. :D and I just put the "Stock Type Bolt" on and wrenched her down to the torque spec and hope she stays.. :D :p
Maybe someone else best answer that.. ;)

Jayls5 said:
ok so when can i be absolutely certain it's in all the way? How will i know?

When the hub is sitting flush with the snout of the crankshaft. If you had the tool it would bottom out on the snout. That's as far as it's supposed to go on, then you put a new bolt and washer in the end of the snout and torque it to specs.

Ok I seem to be able to get it on far enough by hand to fit a few threads of the bolt in. Should i just keep tightening that until it pushes the HB back?

Would it be worth my while to get a compression wrench for this?

HOW MANY is a few? You want enough threads so the bolt NOR the crank will strip. :eek:
If not enough, then get a liitle bit longer bolt. Not too long as it bottoms out in the crank, thus the need for a few washers. If you already have some on the bolt, take a few off, that makes the bolt longer. Just muscle baby, it just takes muscle! ie..elbow grease.. :p

Ok i went and got a longer bolt/washers. I tightened it and it just spun the crank. It didn't move the HB far enough to catch the stock bolt.

This is getting rediculous. Why didn't they just make it wider? :mad:

If it was wider it would fall off or spin on the end of the crankshaft. It's the tight fit that holds it on there, not the bolt on the front.

This is, of course, assuming you followed the directions with the balancer and ensured it's dimensions fit with your crankshaft. Remember, it's designed to have a specific tool to do this, things can all be as easy as a "tool-less" computer case.

To keep the crankshaft from moving you have to put the transmission in gear and block the wheels, assuming a 5 speed. With an automatic you pull the inspection plate and place a bar into a slot in the flexplate so that it prevents the rotation.

Yea i can't deal with it. I thought this was going to be a 1 day thing i could do on my trip back home from college. I'm so eager to drive the thing and i don't have the tool. It would take too long to borrow the tool from supercoupeperformance so i'm just going to deliver the car to my mechanic and have him do it. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pay up. I just want to drive this thing and I don't have the time to fix it while in college.

Back