So my supercharger belt shredded...

SC90_Pete

So my supercharger belt shredded and ripped a nice hole in the heat shield on the hood. What do you guys recommend for a replacement belt for my 5% pulley? Do I need to downsize or is the stock size all right? Also, I'm not sure why the belt shredded; I hope it was because they might have been dry rotted. The reason I think that they might have been dry rotted is because when I bought the car it had been sitting for about 3 years with very little driving and I myself do not drive the car much since I'm away at school most of the time. I also wonder if perhaps my friend and I installed the pulley wrong and maybe it was just a hair off line, which caused it to shred. This last idea however does not seem that plausible because we installed the pulley last July and the car has been running fine since then. Any thoughts and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Pete

SC90_Pete said:
So my supercharger belt shredded and ripped a nice hole in the heat shield on the hood. What do you guys recommend for a replacement belt for my 5% pulley? Do I need to downsize or is the stock size all right? Also, I'm not sure why the belt shredded; I hope it was because they might have been dry rotted. The reason I think that they might have been dry rotted is because when I bought the car it had been sitting for about 3 years with very little driving and I myself do not drive the car much since I'm away at school most of the time. I also wonder if perhaps my friend and I installed the pulley wrong and maybe it was just a hair off line, which caused it to shred. This last idea however does not seem that plausible because we installed the pulley last July and the car has been running fine since then. Any thoughts and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Pete

Pete,

The stock size belt should work fine. You probably need to replace the jackshaft belt while your at it.

David

Make sure that before you install the new belt, that you check all the pully's it runs through and make sure they all spin free, noise free and turn true. (no wobble) I had a friend shred a belt on his truck recently because the water pump seized. I also had one burn up because of an idler pulley that would lock up every now and then. Eventually, the idler pully bearing that seized, made the car almost impossible to start and screached like a cat in the microwave when it did run.

Although, a cat in the microwave quiets down after about forty seconds (150 watt, setting = high) and is ready to serve in only fifteen minutes! :p

Thanks for the info and advice guys, now do you recommend Tabasco or Louisiana Hot sauce for the cat? :confused: :eek:

Back