Neal Peart Lyrics(so not to hyjack Davids thread)

NorthrnSCownr

Red Barcheta
by Rush

Lyrics by Neil Peart

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about.
He says it used to be a farm,
Before the Motor Law.
And on Sundays I elude the Eyes,
And hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire,
Where my white-haired uncle waits.
Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the Borderline.
Run like the wind,
As excitement shivers up and down my spine.
Down in his barn,
My uncle preserved for me an old machine,
For fifty-odd years.
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream.
I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car.
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better, vanished time.
I fire up the willing engine,
Responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel,
I commit my weekly crime...
Wind-
In my hair-
Shifting and drifting-
Mechanical music-
Adrenalin surge...
Well-weathered leather,
Hot metal and oil,
The scented country air.
Sunlight on chrome,
The blur of the landscape,
Every nerve aware.
Suddenly ahead of me,
Across the mountainside,
A gleaming alloy air-car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide.
I spin around with shrieking tires,
To run the deadly race,
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase.
Drive like the wind,
Straining the limits of machine and man.
Laughing out loud
With fear and hope, I've got a desperate plan.
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded at the riverside.
Race back to the farm, to dream with my uncle at the fireside.

Gotta love RUSH. Most talented band ever. Weakest link is Alex Lifeson. He's good, but not as good as the other two. He's no Dave Mustaine.

Darkside said:
Gotta love RUSH. Most talented band ever. Weakest link is Alex Lifeson. He's good, but not as good as the other two. He's no Dave Mustaine.
Funny how they managed to take a mediocre guitar and make up for it.. you never really notice unless you listen to a lot of it and focus on the parts. What they can do for a 3 man band is impressive... Oh... and Niel is the man when it comes to percussion... the professor is a fit title.

Saw them this past summer on their 30th anniversary tour. Fantastic show, especially considering the last time I saw them was in the 80's! Geddy Lee said that for those of us who've been fans of theirs for 30 years, that means WE'RE getting older too! So crank up our hearing aids & get ready to rock! Excellent band, & Red Barchetta is my favorite.

I was really dissapointed in that album of cover tunes they released. I mean, how many times do we have to hear 'summertime blues' redone. I wish they would have covered some Maiden, Leppard, or Ozzy or somethin'.

Darkside said:

If that's a weak link,them I'll take him! :D Alex does have one of those "nervous" vibrato's that alot of people don't like. I prefer Marty Freidman to Mustaine for using chops tastefully,and for tone...Hafta to go with Dimebag Darrell :eek:

Last edited:
tbirdsc357 said:
Hmmm...am I the only one in here that can't stand Rush??
Yes. But since you're a SuperCoupe guy with 2271 member posts, we'll try not to hold it against you. ;) :D ;) :cool:

Last edited:
Music Hmmmm

Just my 2 cents worth on the music threads Alex isnt a flashy player but the band is as well crafted and well written songs in the day of 3 chord themes from puke BANDS like green day ill settle for alex anyday :D also a side note on Marty i love his playing but his guitar sounds sucks monster mopeds i prefer satch and vai as inspiration on guitar and a few off color people like david russell just for fun can we see RESPECT from pantera at age 55? LOL ill be waiting

another note...

I have played some Rush tunes from reading guitar tablature and Alex is very talented. Some of the fingerings ad progressions on a few of the older songs would take me years to play right.
Geddy is simply gifted though. I've also played some of his parts too...To play those bass lines and sing at the same time requires supernormal capabilities!!
Tom

There's been an age old argument about who was best ever Peart or Bonham.. To me there was never any question. Even though I never was much of a Rush fan Neal was out there to school anyone else to that there was no doubt!

Bonham, hmm. I have never listened to a Zeppelin song and been blown away like I am when listening to a Rush song. Page isn't any better than Lifeson. Peart on the other hand is in a league all of his own. Even if you don't care for Rush's style, just listen to the drums on their own, or the bass lines for that matter. Disect the songs and you have to appreciate the musicianship. Bonham being better than Peart was just a popularity thing. I remember people telling me that Tommy Lee was better than Peart. :rolleyes: Yeah, sure. Anyway, I'm wasn't saying that Lifeson wasn't an awesome guitarist, it's just that the other two made him look mediocre.
Alot of people don't appreciate Dave Mustaine. Listen to "The Conjuring" and you will see his skills. The rythem work on that song is awesome, and add on top of that all the little fills incorporated into it. Listen to a Metallica song and while they are driving and heavy they are not very intense. That's a difference that I can appriciate. Marty Friedman once said that he loved playing in Megadeth so much because they were such fun songs to play. He also has said his favorite song to play is "The Conjuring" because it is so intense and busy. That is all Mustaine. Sorry for the hijack. :D

Sweet90SC said:
There's been an age old argument about who was best ever Peart or Bonham.. To me there was never any question. Even though I never was much of a Rush fan Neal was out there to school anyone else to that there was no doubt!

I've got to say that Rush is one of my favorite bands, although I haven't been listening as much to them lately. NorthernSCowner has a point Alex Lifeson's playing ability was demonstrated a lot better in some of their earlier stuff (I'm thinking La Villa Strangiato) Vs their pop '80's "politically aware" stage (like Hold You Fire, Power Windows.

To me one of the most admirable things about Neil Peart was his humbleness considering he is widely considered the best drummer around. I think it was around the time they recorded Counterparts I read Neil actually was taking drum lessons from a Jazz musician! To me that says a lot, that youy can be the best there is for decades, yet still recognize there is more to learn.

As far as Dave Mustaine goes, eh, he was OK. I have seen Megadeth live a few times, never was very impressed. Perhaps it was the drugs, but I remember one show where Dave was trying to do some solo, and he was wandering around the stage, missing more notes than he was hitting, playing mostly barre chords, and even screwing them up. It was laughable. In fact so many people in the audience were laughing and heckling him he stopped his solo and got into a fight with some guys in the audience. I remember him saying something along the lines of "If you think you can do better get on up here. I'll have Phil come back out here and kick your ***." (Pantera had opened up) I remember thinking Damn that's a bold offer, even I could do better than that, and I am not even a real guitar player.

As far as metal guitar players I think Alex skolnik was probably my favorite.

Totally different styles of drumming. Bonham was much more of a "power" drummer, while Peart is more "technical." But listen to some of Bonham's solos, like on the Zep DVD. He was phenominal. I'm sure if you were to ask Peart, he'd say that Bonham was his equal.

Andy 94SC said:
I've got to say that Rush is one of my favorite bands, although I haven't been listening as much to them lately. NorthernSCowner has a point Alex Lifeson's playing ability was demonstrated a lot better in some of their earlier stuff (I'm thinking La Villa Strangiato) Vs their pop '80's "politically aware" stage (like Hold You Fire, Power Windows.

To me one of the most admirable things about Neil Peart was his humbleness considering he is widely considered the best drummer around. I think it was around the time they recorded Counterparts I read Neil actually was taking drum lessons from a Jazz musician! To me that says a lot, that youy can be the best there is for decades, yet still recognize there is more to learn.

As far as Dave Mustaine goes, eh, he was OK. I have seen Megadeth live a few times, never was very impressed. Perhaps it was the drugs, but I remember one show where Dave was trying to do some solo, and he was wandering around the stage, missing more notes than he was hitting, playing mostly barre chords, and even screwing them up. It was laughable. In fact so many people in the audience were laughing and heckling him he stopped his solo and got into a fight with some guys in the audience. I remember him saying something along the lines of "If you think you can do better get on up here. I'll have Phil come back out here and kick your ***." (Pantera had opened up) I remember thinking Damn that's a bold offer, even I could do better than that, and I am not even a real guitar player.

As far as metal guitar players I think Alex skolnik was probably my favorite.

I agree with you. Mustaine was until the last couple of albums a bad druggie. He has since cleaned up and there music now sucks, funny how that works. Excellent call on Alex Skolnik. He is awesome, Testament is one of my favorites. You can tell he plays classical as well from his style.
As far as drum solos go, nobody can match or equal Peart. He is a master.

Damn,You guys are just pulling bands out of my cd folder! Testament is awesome,i've been a fan at every stage of their career.It is always the pre"Signals" era Playing that i think of with Alex liefson.Geddy may be the most talented man on the planet. On their tour for Moving pictures,they played Jacobs Ladder from the Permanent waves album,Geddy is standing there at one stage of the song with his left hand on the keyboard ,right hand plucking that insane rythym on an open bass string,feet filling out the other bass parts on the Taurus pedals,and of course remembering and executing some of the most complex lyrics in rock history! I picked my jaw up from the floor when it was time to go.
Also, there is no Bonham vs. Peart. Bonham is the "less is more" style player that every musician respects. Bonzo was about the feel. I love Neil's work,but he can be mechanical to listen to...A machine that never screws up,and i totally respect and love that about him.Bonham could move me with just the subtle snare grace notes he would employ along with the other musicians parts,He also had the most expressive bass drum foot ever! Peart is the professor,Bonham a teacher from a different ,but no less important curriculum.

True Funny story Im @ work and im a printer by trade advanced to Stewpidvisor over the the course of my 14 years there anyway ya know how ya get a dumb song stuck in your head even if it is stupid like >King Diamonds- Grandma song where he says graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaandma im like singing this in a high pitch all these machines are running and the owner of the company comes out like after 10 mins of me singing this hes says i keep hearing this unreal and annoying noise like a bearing getting ready to go on one of theses presses is there a problem?? I said no sir that was me singing he tilted his head turned around and walked off LMAO man if i had a picture of that :D

Back