PDA

View Full Version : 2005 SC Shootout Location!

XR7 Dave
10-23-2004, 10:27 PM
Vote here for your prefered location. Please only vote if you would plan on attending! Thanks!!!

Ira R.
10-23-2004, 11:34 PM
Vote here for your prefered location. Please only vote if you would plan on attending! Thanks!!!

Uhmm, you ask us to vote for our preferred location, but the actual poll asks us to vote for the closest location. Maybe it should have been a bit more geographic by region?

I mean, Philly is the closest choice for me, but I am certainly willing to travel a whole lot further then that. I realize that this is not going to be an easy choice, orpoll to put together, I guess, but even so..... <shrug>

I don't know. What does anyone else think??

Ira

XR7 Dave
10-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Uhmm, you ask us to vote for our preferred location, but the actual poll asks us to vote for the closest location. Maybe it should have been a bit more geographic by region?

I mean, Philly is the closest choice for me, but I am certainly willing to travel a whole lot further then that. I realize that this is not going to be an easy choice, orpoll to put together, I guess, but even so..... <shrug>

I don't know. What does anyone else think??

Ira

This is a preliminary poll. We are trying to see where the enthusiasts are, once we get a little better idea of where people are from, we will be able to narrow our search.

I understand exactly what you are saying but that is pretty tough to put in one poll. :)

Ira R.
10-23-2004, 11:40 PM
This is a preliminary poll. We are trying to see where the enthusiasts are, once we get a little better idea of where people are from, we will be able to narrow our search.

I understand exactly what you are saying but that is pretty tough to put in one poll. :)

Quite true. You do have to start somewhere.

Parker Dean
10-24-2004, 12:05 AM
I voted for Dallas which is 6 hours away, although I'd travel about 12-15 hrs in total I suppose. No other decent facilities in that range that I can think of.

Darkside
10-24-2004, 01:07 AM
I voted for Dallas. It is a fun city with lots to do, in case a family wanted to make a vacation out of the trip. Plus it is the most centrally located place. If none of the West Coasters can make it to Dallas, well then it should be held in the East from here on out. My second choice would be Las Vegas. Really, really fun place. ;) :D Not sure of the elevation in Dallas. :confused:

Doug Franklin
10-24-2004, 01:23 AM
I'm sure we could round up some locals, and all surounding points to make for quit a few. I will post in Gulf States Chapter if not already done by the Houston Gang.

TCCoA Texas & OK are fairly organized out here. See what Dave Reeves (focus) thinks and see if some of the SCers interested.

Also will tell Don French (blue92) about this for his Fordbastards club here in TX, which has a few SCs to see if any are interested.

These 2 groups are pretty strong for the DFW area. SCCoA pretty strong in Houston and New Orleans.

If you come to Dallas I don't suppose an event like this will have time for any cornering. We have a track that maybe we can use depending on the date if we get 20-32 cars for a class from 2-5PM one day. Now MSR will allow running in the rain unless it is a down poor. I am a MSR member and can do that, but Fordbastards usually sponsors this as well and invites SCCoA and TCCoA, and they also hold "Fun Runs" on back higways with twisties and use walkie talkies to get a string of cars really going.

Grantster
10-24-2004, 04:25 AM
Sure like to see something closer to Canada, sure it's cold up here but I would like to burn somebodies a$$.. lol.. I just got me a 92 T-Bird SC, would like to rebuild it STOCK but would like to hear the stories. That's why I'd like to come, but Dallas is alot to far away. But I guess the parts that I could buy and replace would make up for that.. lol :rolleyes:

Plz make it closer ;)

Grant

NorthrnSCownr
10-24-2004, 10:59 AM
I still think we should consider a -bi annual shootout-. With so many thousands of miles from coast to coast half of our community gets "left out", and need to wait a year, or even two until it gets closer to them.
One thing that I learned is that it gets more costly with every hundred miles.
The trip to the shootout ended up costing me over $700 Not including the cost of fixing my car! :p And that was with sleeping at a couple rest areas!
Just something to think about. A trip to Dallas is too far for me, but I am up in the boonies anyway.
Best,
Tom

John Shelton
10-24-2004, 01:08 PM
I voted for Nevada/Utah, not because I think it's the best location for a good turnout, but because it's the closest to me - which is what the poll is asking.

For the good of the meet, I think Nevada/Utah is too far west for many to get to (although convenient for me). Las Vegas would be great, but I don't think many people could get their cars there.

My suggestion would be Oklahoma City. It's not necessarily local for many of us, but it is reachable for most of us in the country. Any further west, I believe, would put the meet out of range for most of the east, and vice versa. Dallas would be my second choice, but OKC is more centrally accessible to NE and SE areas.

My guess is that about 3/4 of all the cars are located east of St Louis. I understand that those of us in the west will have to compromise on the location to have a successful turnout.

I plan to be there wherever it is, and hopefully be able get my car to it.

tbird88
10-24-2004, 02:31 PM
BigD and OKC are a hop skip an a jump for us here in Texas 'cause we drive just to get anywhere but the Dallas group are indeed a very enthusiastic bunch. Myself, I wouldn't mind travelin' up to 800 one way from Beaumont, TX.

Chatanooga - 700
Birmingham - 575
Atlanta - 700
Memphis - 550-600

'bird

Thomas95SC
10-24-2004, 04:07 PM
My vote is for Dallas. I lived in Dallas for a couple of years and it was great. lots of stuff to do in the DFW area. Not to mention its not that far of a drive from down here. Like XR7 Dave said, low elevation and good weather year round play a good factor. About what time of year are we talking?

Birdman93
10-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Waukesha also has a good elevation-821ft, and also has good weather year round-in fact, Waukesha would be cooler, allowing for better runs, than Dallas in August.

Something else to think about is the number of severe storms in TX/OK v WI

Callmewhitexr7
10-24-2004, 06:12 PM
I voted for Dallas, but how about Thundervalley in Noble Oklahoma???

NICK

XR7 Dave
10-24-2004, 06:32 PM
Sure like to see something closer to Canada, sure it's cold up here but I would like to burn somebodies a$$.. lol.. I just got me a 92 T-Bird SC, would like to rebuild it STOCK but would like to hear the stories. That's why I'd like to come, but Dallas is alot to far away. But I guess the parts that I could buy and replace would make up for that.. lol :rolleyes:

Plz make it closer ;)

Grant

Dude, how much closer than Wisconsin do you want it to be???? :D

tim
10-24-2004, 08:29 PM
Wisconsin is nice and it has to be cooler than Texas.

Rich1034
10-24-2004, 08:33 PM
I voted Dallas, but I would think OKC would be better for most people, it's the most central location I could come up with. I'm the Oklahoma chapter director for TCCoA, and OzzmanG149 lives right by the track in Noble, and has volunteered to lay down the groundwork for a successful event.

BTW: Can I run my 4.6???? :p

Birdman93
10-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Come on-I know there's lots more of you out there in the Upper Midwest than that!!

We really need to get this up to the Great Lakes Dragaway ;)

XR7 Dave
10-24-2004, 09:23 PM
I voted Dallas, but I would think OKC would be better for most people, it's the most central location I could come up with. I'm the Oklahoma chapter director for TCCoA, and OzzmanG149 lives right by the track in Noble, and has volunteered to lay down the groundwork for a successful event.

BTW: Can I run my 4.6???? :p

Yes you can. :)

VicRattlehead
10-24-2004, 09:27 PM
wisc, (GLD) would be closest but im not apposed to making a trip to tx. that said. phili works too, ut/nv id have to check the mileage to thoes places, NC might be closer too.

basicly all work with mabey the exeception of ut/nv id have to check on that one. 15-16hrs is around my limit.

Jeremy_K
10-24-2004, 09:34 PM
I think Dallas is a pretty good halfway point from both coasts. It's not hot year round in Dallas guys come on now. The weather isn't as unpredictable as it is in the east. But like Dave said, It should be central to where the ENTHUSIASTS who will show up are at. I'll be there for sure if it's in DFW or Vegas Baby! :cool:

OzzManG149
10-24-2004, 09:56 PM
I voted for Dallas because Oklahoma wasnt on the list for the poll. If your looking for a central location I'm not sure you can get anymore central than Thunder Valley Raceway in Noble, Ok. I would be willing to bet that the majority of the peaple that would attend the Shootout in Dallas would be driving within 6 Miles of Noble where the track is located. Im not saying that Dallas would be a bad place for the Shootout because it wouldnt.. But if your looking for convience from the west to the East Coast my opinion is Thunder Valley. Im going to attend either way. But for a refrence here are a couple maps that I found for refrence.

The pink line is I-40 whch runs from Barstow, Ca to Greensboro, NC
http://members.tccoa.com/ozzmang149/GearsDriveshaft/coast%20to%20coast%20map.gif

This is a map to give you an Idea of how fare Thunder Valley is from I-40

http://members.tccoa.com/ozzmang149/GearsDriveshaft/Noble.bmp

XR7 Dave
10-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Keep the votes coming. The location is not necessarily central, it's where we can assure sufficient attendance to make it financially viable. I am surprised we have such low support from the East. Where are the enthusiasts??? :confused:

Thomas A
10-24-2004, 10:33 PM
I voted for Dallas. I really like that part of Texas for some reason. Wisconsin would be good also. I think I would perfer something around Madison rather then GreenBay though. I'm good with either one really. OKC would also be good, or even RockFord, IL.

Thomas

T-bird4vr
10-24-2004, 10:51 PM
I think this needs to be in Florida so Diddy will join us.

CMac89
10-24-2004, 11:01 PM
I think there should be a couple of shootouts a year.

Nothing can be better than racing at the racing capital of the world in Indianapolis at Indianapolis Raceway Park (IRP).

If not try something close to cincinnati like Edgewater and Tri-State.

What about St. Louis. Thats a fun city :D

VicRattlehead
10-24-2004, 11:34 PM
I voted for Dallas. I really like that part of Texas for some reason. Wisconsin would be good also. I think I would perfer something around Madison rather then GreenBay though. I'm good with either one really. OKC would also be good, or even RockFord, IL.

Thomas

about rockford il, theres a track that is located southwest of rockford in Byron IL, they have a track there, i was there for the 2004 Outlaw Real Street Nationals this afternoon, nice setup and they are willing to work with groups.

Thomas A
10-24-2004, 11:36 PM
about rockford il, theres a track that is located southwest of rockford in Byron IL, they have a track there, i was there for the 2004 Outlaw Real Street Nationals this afternoon, nice setup and they are willing to work with groups.
ROCKFORD, IL Let's do it!! Get'r Done!! :D

I bought my SC from Wonder Lake, IL. It would be nice to go back.

Thomas

CMac89
10-24-2004, 11:48 PM

Thomas

I'm all for it.

Darkside
10-25-2004, 12:36 AM
I'm all for it.
There's no I in team, but there's an M and a E! ;) Sorry. Couldn't resist. ;)

jobrien8
10-25-2004, 12:40 AM
Feel the location should be a more central location for all involved. Don't mind traveling myself, as others have indicated.

CMac89
10-25-2004, 03:38 AM
There's no I in team, but there's an M and a E! ;) Sorry. Couldn't resist. ;)
Nice :D I like that. Keep 'em comin'.

Doug Franklin
10-25-2004, 03:47 AM
I guess Ford recognition is a good thing for Wisconsin. Could get me up that way and maybe tie in with a Lorain visit. Be nice to have a driving event instead of just drag racing if Fast Ed shows up.

Utah/Nevada is good for me as I work for a California company and Utah is part of my territory so could combine it with a business trip. As much as I love Utah the Las Vegas draw is probably where we could get a lot of participation. Good western compromise and the food and hotels are affordable. Quite the caravan of Californians to Vegas every weekend. Certainly this should be a spot for some year if not this one.

Birdman93
10-25-2004, 04:25 AM
I agree-Vegas would be a god place-would be a good time to contact my buddy in the PIO office at Nellis and set up a photo shoot with the USAF Thunderbirds. :D

ThunderCoupe94
10-25-2004, 09:20 AM
One in Philly Pa would be awesome or anywhere surrounding that area of the Tri-State. I am up for it as long as it isnt half way across the country..

Jay

XR7 Dave
10-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Some great discussion here guys! Thanks to everyone who voted so far. We see some definate trends beginning. The locations shown so far are not the final and only choices. You are giving us the data we need to move forward.

Please be sure to vote ONLY if you would make plans to attend AND participate. For most people who attend these meets a 350 mile drive is normal. In many cases people travel 600-1000miles to attend, and in just about any case it will be a 4 day weekend minumum (including travel). If you voted for the location closest to you but would be willing to travel further, feel free to post a reply here.

Thanks!

ThunderCoupe94
10-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Im already makin plans to attend.. If need be ill drive farther, I just chose what nearest to myself.

Jay

BaggedBoooosh
10-25-2004, 11:28 AM
One in Philly Pa would be awesome or anywhere surrounding that area of the Tri-State. I am up for it as long as it isnt half way across the country..

Jay

Philly would be beast WOOOT WOOOOT
:eek:

Big Cat Davo
10-25-2004, 12:43 PM
I am planning on attending and on bring the XR7 with me. While I recognize that I am a long way from anywhere I voted for Milwaulkee. Moslty because while I would travel to Salt Lake city or Vegas, I feel that a Milwauklee event may bring out more competitors.

Dave

Pablo94SC
10-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Dallas is the closest place on the list to me, but considering the nature of Texas/southern weather in the fall (read: hot & humid or constant rain), I'd say a more northern location would be a better choice. In fact, I'd be up for Norwalk again. It's hard to beat the weather we had for the shootout.

I'd also like to second the idea of a bi-annual shootout. Twice a year and in different locations gives us more opportunities to break something... err, records. :P We could always have an SC nationals that's more formal and structured if people still want one grand event per year.

Paul

PS: Philly would be awesome, but that's a hell of a drive (1000+ miles from Memphis) for most of us.

cowtown
10-25-2004, 01:04 PM

That wouldn't be too bad (certainly better than Dallas) but that's still nearly a 3 province run for me. Probably take me 3 days to drive that (with breaks). What city in Wisconsin?

Randy N Connie
10-25-2004, 01:23 PM
A lot of east coast votes, to bad not many showed up at the shootout.When it was close to there area.And some have voted that do not even have a v-6 SC to race.

I voted for WIS. Because this was closest to me.

I would drive south-west for a shootout.There are some good smaller
tracks in TX.7 POINTS,not to far from Dallas would be cheap to get.Oklahoma City would be good centraly located.I would like to see it held were the temp
would be close to 60 to 50 degrees.So some records could be set.

NO WAY WOULD I RACE EVER AGAIN ON THE EAST COAST.
any track in NY or NJ.Last time I race northeast.there was a
shootout in the pits by numerus spectators.People died,I got bullit holes in
my trailer.From my experiance these are not tracks to take your family to.

RANDY

Randy

SC'er
10-25-2004, 01:31 PM
There is a great track and facilities in Topeka, KS "Heartland Park". Check it out at http://www.hpt.com/

It offers drag racing and road course facilities plus is centrally located.

Doug Franklin
10-25-2004, 02:01 PM
I agree-Vegas would be a god place-would be a good time to contact my buddy in the PIO office at Nellis and set up a photo shoot with the USAF Thunderbirds. :D

That would be great. I go to Utah because it is the Depot for F-16. Makes sense for me to go because F-16 built in Ft. Worth.

Dallas:
This thread has done us some good. Got us talking with OK more. Hopefully we will start having a TX-OK competition both drag and cornering (auto-cross). North TX and OK is not much of an SCCoA organized area, though we probably have plenty of SCs. So it will be a combined event like we have been doing the last 2 years. Makes sense because any 2 states combined in chapter posts shows this part of the country most active in TCCoA. TX alone is #2.

Still hope the SC Shootout comes this way sometime, if others will make the drive.

debo92sc
10-25-2004, 02:05 PM

Thomas

I voted wisconsin but i would be all about rockford because my dad lives there and i could plan a nice little vacation :D and acctually attend everything the event offers unlike the 04 event it was spur of the moment :eek: but yeah rockford il good choice 6-7 hour ride but that would work GET'R DONE!!!!!! :D

P.S.....any reviews on that track???
P.S.S...PA would be a good location too (can't vote twice)

Darkside
10-25-2004, 02:35 PM
What's the matter, no one wants to come race here at 5400 ft. :p
Seriously, I think we need to have a meet somewhat close to the West Coast to give the Westcoasters a chance to show up. Like Randy said, the meet was in Ohio this year and only had what, thirty some participants? That's kind of sad considering the amount of activity out there on the East Coast. Oklahoma is the best choice, although not an option for voting. This site would better include AZ, NM, TX, OK, and hopefully a big group from Florida. Time to give the Southwest and Southeast a chance. Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma would probably bring 35 cars at least.
Hey Dave, why don't you auction the location off on EBAY!? :eek: :p

I would prefer not to get shot at as well. :D

Pablo94SC
10-25-2004, 05:36 PM
I don't really care where the meet is as long as the Canadians can come and bring more of that wonderful nectar which is Sleeman Cream Ale. Other than that, I suggest we hold the shootout in a location known for hot, skantily clad women. They will help the upstanding gentlemen such as Julian and myself get to bed at a reasonable hour instead of partying, drinking, and causing a ruckus into the wee hours of the morning. The single men in the community appreciate your consideration in this important matter. :D

PS: There are NO hot women in Norwalk, OH. :(

Thomas A
10-25-2004, 11:06 PM
This is some good discussion. I'd say if you drew a line from GreenBay Wisconsin to Dallas Texas, I'd be in for any place along that line!

Thomas

cudaz101
10-26-2004, 04:59 AM
I voted for Vegas...Still 1100mi + for me to get there...But if it ends up being there or an equal or close distance I will be there. I don't see me traveling 2100miles to Dallas though...As much as I would like to see TX I don't see it happening..

Brad

Birdman93
10-26-2004, 05:02 AM
OK-I'm curious now-East coasters want us to come to Philly-the closest tracks are either in Reading(50 miles) or Atco, NJ(20 miles). :confused:

How much are these tracks in terms of renting them out for a weekend? Yes-there's lots to do in Philly itself, but these tracks are located out away from the town itself. :confused:

Birdman93
10-26-2004, 05:11 AM
There are other tracks to consider in the West-Firebird Raceway in Idaho is a really good facility-there are tracks in Arizona that are kickbutt as well.

XR7 Dave
10-26-2004, 08:06 AM
OK-I'm curious now-East coasters want us to come to Philly-the closest tracks are either in Reading(50 miles) or Atco, NJ(20 miles). :confused:

How much are these tracks in terms of renting them out for a weekend? Yes-there's lots to do in Philly itself, but these tracks are located out away from the town itself. :confused:

The locations listed are simply general areas selected to gauge interest from the surrounding demographic. We have found from previous shootouts and national events that the average travel distance is about 350 miles. The locations were specifically selected to encourage people within that radius to vote.

Certainly the cost of an event in one area will be higher and therefore require a larger attendance to be feasible than another location. This must be kept in mind when looking at the poll.

At this point it is becoming clear where the target areas for the next (couple of) shootouts will be. On that note we have contacts and representatives from the Texas region and from the Wisconsin region who are willing and able to participate in the planning of a local event should one be scheduled in your area. However the other areas have not had such a person step forward. It is not anticipated that a shootout will be planned in an area where we do not have a local contact willing to share in the responsibilities of the event. If you feel you may be that person but have not yet spoken up, please do so by responding to the post in the members lounge entitled 2005 SC Shootout.

Thanks guys!

kuhnga
10-26-2004, 09:47 AM
A lot of east coast votes, to bad not many showed up at the shootout.When it was close to there area.And some have voted that do not even have a v-6 SC to race.

I voted for WIS. Because this was closest to me.

I would drive south-west for a shootout.There are some good smaller
tracks in TX.7 POINTS,not to far from Dallas would be cheap to get.Oklahoma City would be good centraly located.I would like to see it held were the temp
would be close to 60 to 50 degrees.So some records could be set.

RANDY

Randy

Randy-
First off Norwalk is not the east coast, it is at least 8hrs just from Philly, let alone NJ or NYC.

I didnt know you had to have a running V6 to vote, maybe I should remove my vote now and sell my car.(I drove to St.louis last year, didnt see you at Carlisle though?Pot calling kettle black cough cough)

I personally think the temperature factor is not worth wasting time over, I had my best non-nitrous run when it was 98deg. I would have been able to attend in July/August in the vacation season, to much stuff after that.

Finally, all I can say is the East coast is not for wimps. :D

lube70
10-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Well, as far as the organizing goes, I am more than willing to help organize or organize it totally for the shootout. I currently run the NJTACC (New Jersey Thunderbird and Cougar Club), and those of you who know us from Carlisle, KNOW US WELL!!!!!

I have also ran events for the Garden State Region Mustang Club which I was secretary of and still help with.

We have many major contacts out here at several tracks, hotels, speed shops (dyno shops) and more.

Sorry that I was unable to attend this years, had previous engagement (got married that previous weekend and was not available).

So, hope to see everyone in Philly!!!!

Don O'Neill, Jr.

(973) 277-4294

SilverCasket
10-26-2004, 11:36 AM

That was good. That's your norm when people talk about New York Jersey. .. They see it as one state. .. Anyway, here is an average gathering of the NJTaCC & a few other fellas at our monthly meets. That's only the ones that could make it to the track that day. More than half probably don't view the board so will not be counted for in the vote. But I'm sure they'd make a shootout that is within a few hundred miles. And the only bullets we have seen are the ones going down the track! :o

Anthony

Jeremy_K
10-26-2004, 12:51 PM
how bout an area with some nice scenery nearby so we can get some nice group photos as well.

89_Red_Xr7
10-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Put in a vote for Nevada/Utah....
I could also make a trip to Dallas, but the others would just be too far to justify going :(
Looking forward to the shootout and meeting some of you guys(hopefully)
Andrew

FearThis SC
10-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Why not in the middle of the USA, i.e. Kansas, right smack in the middle of the US or OKC?????

Seems that most of the SC's that are currently owned are located in the Northeast part of the country or the Mid-West.

I would like to see it in Dallas or OKC.

Great idea to get a meet going, Thanks Dave. I would drive up to 10 to 12 hrs one way!

NorthrnSCownr
10-26-2004, 07:06 PM
I drove over 800 miles one way to the 2nd annual shootout, It took me over 18 hours, I sat still in traffic for over 2 hours, blew my headgaskets(im now on a ramen noodle rich diet ;)), had to hitch rides home, and it was worth every mile! :D
This community is full of top notch people and behaves more like a family than anything.
My point- if your questioning how far you would travel to attend the next shootout....extend it a bit! ;)
Tom

Darkside
10-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Well, just for reference, Carlisle, PA is 1800 miles from Albuquerque,NM. That's about a 30 hr. drive. That would leave out anybody from AZ, CA, NM, CO, and probably TX. I'm not saying that I expect anybody to accomodate us, but just to keep it in mind. Did anybody from the Southwest make it this year? Anybody from TX or OK? I'm just curious. :confused:

ilusnforc
10-26-2004, 08:21 PM
I am closest to Dallas therefore it has my vote, and I would really like to see the Shootout held near the south. ever since I have owned my SC in 2001 I don't remember ever seeing a large SC or MN12 event discussed in the gulf region. I would be more than willing to help orgainize and hold this event if it is held in Dallas. Any further and I would have to trailer my SC anyway... Don't think I can squeze in the cost of a rental truck and trailer with tuition.

Ira R.
10-26-2004, 09:55 PM
I voted for PA because the poll asked me to vote for the closest place. Frankly, I would prefer going elsewhere because half the fun is seeing the sites in a new place!

As far as this year was concerned, I just couldn't get the time off. One of the two ladies who work with me ended up having bypass surgery in August, the other gave birth in Sept. Sorry, but that's out of my control (although there are those at work who blame me for both!!)

Anyways, it would have been about a 10 hour drive for me to get to the site in Ohio. I don't see that as a problem, nor would I let that stop me next year. Hold it wherever you want, The Boss(tm) and I are already planning on it.

Ira

XR7 Dave
10-27-2004, 12:43 AM
Well, just for reference, Carlisle, PA is 1800 miles from Albuquerque,NM. That's about a 30 hr. drive. That would leave out anybody from AZ, CA, NM, CO, and probably TX. I'm not saying that I expect anybody to accomodate us, but just to keep it in mind. Did anybody from the Southwest make it this year? Anybody from TX or OK? I'm just curious. :confused:

CougarSC came from OK and John Shelton came from S. Cal.

Last year John Shelton made it out, Kurt Sunday came from NM, and Kelly Simons came from Vegas.

Each year we have a handful of people who make an 800+ mile trip but it's certainly not the norm. Average mileage is about 350 with 5-600 being pretty common.

I've done some in-depth analysis of the poll so far to see where everyone is coming from, and the truth is that Texas or OK both require more driving for everyone than just about anywhere else. However, it also makes for the opportunity to get the people who are far strung out in the south to get together. It is not forgotten that the best MN12 Nationals ever was the one held in OKC.

:)

Darkside
10-27-2004, 01:10 AM
Let's state the obvious here. The eastern side has the highest percentage and concentration of SC'ers in this club, although that wasn't backed up by this years turnout. I mean, minus the 5 or 6 that traveled from west of the Mississippi, the whole "Big East" came up with what, 30 people? 30?(approx.) :confused: Like I said before, I'm not trying to start an argument, but I am trying like hell to get this event somewhere where it will be appreciated. I think OK, TX or Wisconsin(because then all those crazy Canadians could show) would yield a better turnout. I really thought that there would be like 80, 90, or 100 cars at this year's shootout. Especially with the nice sponsorships, and rallying that Dave did.

Darkside
10-27-2004, 01:12 AM
I think that this being a MN12 event, not just a SC event, will bring even more, if the invitations are sent out.

kenshi
10-27-2004, 01:57 AM
I voted for Dallas, it being closest and one of the two most central places. Oklahoma City or Kansas City would be good places too. I would truely be disappointed to see it held in the northeast again. I doubt I would be able to make it if it's not somewhat central, but at least move it around. There really isn't a huge lead in the votes right now, and Dallas is tied for second so there are obviously plenty of people here.

XR7 Dave
10-27-2004, 02:08 AM
Let's state the obvious here. The eastern side has the highest percentage and concentration of SC'ers in this club, although that wasn't backed up by this years turnout. I mean, minus the 5 or 6 that traveled from west of the Mississippi, the whole "Big East" came up with what, 30 people? 30?(approx.) :confused: Like I said before, I'm not trying to start an argument, but I am trying like hell to get this event somewhere where it will be appreciated. I think OK, TX or Wisconsin(because then all those crazy Canadians could show) would yield a better turnout. I really thought that there would be like 80, 90, or 100 cars at this year's shootout. Especially with the nice sponsorships, and rallying that Dave did.

Chris, I don't know what you have against the East? Is it the color of Gary Kuhn's hair or something?

Why do you keep giving us a hard time? I don't see what makes someone from the south any more likely to travel than someone from the North???

The Canadians you refer to were just as close (or closer) to Ohio as they will be to Wisconsin, and they were certainly closer than the guys from Jersey who didn't make it out either. Heck I'm embarrassed about the low turnout from OHIO! We had people in Cleveland who did not make it out for pete's sake.

I think it is the same everywhere. You have people who are nuts enough to drive 1000 miles to an event and you have people who won't drive accross town. All we can really do is look at the averages and they don't really favor one area over another.

The bottom line is that we need a committment to attend. If you have a lower number of people, but you can guarantee attendance, that is better than all the people in the world if only .001% show up.

I admire your enthusiasm, but you have to be realistic and realize that everyone who raises their hand and says "Me! Me!" isn't necessarily going to make the committment to attend especially when a long distance commute is required. If you want to point fingers at anyone, pointing them at NJ/PA is not the way to go. If an event is held in that area, at least 70% of the interested parties are within 200 miles instead of 600 miles. That can make a big difference in who will decide to attend and who won't.

We're looking for positives here and in each case people should be moving ahead like the Shootout is going to be in your backyard. The decision is far from being made at this point. We are not naive enough to base our decision merely on the results of this poll. (although it has been most helpful and thankyou! to everyone who voted).

Randy N Connie
10-27-2004, 08:33 AM
I would be more than happy.with some help .To Donate some parts for another raffle to help support a centrally located western race.To pay for the track use.

The original shootout idea was to have a race in central USA ,then central eastern shootout,then a centrally held western shootout.So everyone in
the SC community would have a reasonabel driving distance to travel to
compete,in a SC/XR7 SHOOTOUT.

I am sure there may be some others that fab parts.That would help cover
track cost.For a centrally held western SC/XR7 Shootout.

I don't see it a problem for me to donate $2000.00 in parts for another
raffle.To help secure a track for the originally planed werstern SC XR7 SHOOTOUT.So every member has a shot at competeing.

Thanks Randy

kuhnga
10-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Chris's high school sweet heart ran off and married a yankee :D Just kidding, it to bad this could never please everyone. Wouldn't it be nice to have an event with 500 SC's.

I enjoyed towing the car to St. Louis 2 years ago, it was fun. It was 1000 miles for me and Seegers, more than that for Anthony in NJ.
Timing is everything for these events, if it would have been held on a different weekend you might see a swing of 20 people. Just never can tell.

Darkside
10-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Chris, I don't know what you have against the East? Is it the color of Gary Kuhn's hair or something?

Why do you keep giving us a hard time? I don't see what makes someone from the south any more likely to travel than someone from the North???

Hey, nothin' Dave. Just politicin'. :p That's all I'm doin is giving you guys a hard time. Just would like to see one down South. Even though I couldn't come, I was a little dissappointed with the turnout as well. No offense to anybody out East. :)

Darkside
10-27-2004, 09:41 AM
What color is Gary's hair? :eek:

Darkside
10-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Chris's high school sweet heart ran off and married a yankee :D
For your information Gary, my highschool sweetheart left me for a Mexican that pushes one of those little ice cream carts around at the park. She told me I had no future. :( :p

joshbea6
10-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Do we have a tentative date, or range of dates, yet for the shootout? I just hope that I can have my SC ready for next year. I didn't get to make it to the one that was just north as I had a family tragedy.

Nettlesd
10-27-2004, 04:46 PM
There's always KCI Raceway in Kansas City. It's an older track but I'm sure the track can be rented out for a reasonable amount, unlike, some other elongate race tracks that command more money. I must say that Norwalk was really impressive and a top notch facility but we're only going to be using the track for a day so I'm sure KCI would suffice for what we want to do.

To me, it doesn't matter where it will be held and I drove 12 hours for the 2nd Annual SC Shootout. I feel that if the location, dates and registration fees are determined far enough in advance, that gives everyone enough time to actively make the event, even thou, it might be a long distance for some. Anyway, if you really want to be part of the event, you will make the necessary arrangements in advance so that you can attend.

Hats off to Randy for being so willing to donate parts to the cause so that we can HAVE the event.

Randy N Connie
10-27-2004, 06:35 PM
Duane Thanks for the hats off.But I am not able to do this by myself .

I will need some members to help me out by donating two manifolds & two plenums.I cannot do this by myself.For a Stage I OR II Manifold-plenum.And one raised Stage III manifold-plenum.To be raffled off.XR7 Dave donated the
manifold plenum for the 2004 Shootout.I think that I have bumed all of Dave's
manifold -plenums.So we need some help from others to make this work.

Maybe t-bird 88 has a manifold-plenum to donate for a western SC/XR7 Shootout..Cough,HINT! www.texasthunderbirds.com has sponsored the Shootout every year.Not for sure ,but I don't remember seeing much support from SC vendors from the eastcoast, for the 2004 SC/XR7 Shootout.

And I will need to get the OK from David D. and SC/XR7 Shootout commitee.
And help from one of them, to sell tickets & handle the money,to do another raffle.

The last time I race at KC the track wasent as nice as Norwalk.But It is
a better track than the 2003 shootout held at the ST Charles,Mo track.
But KC track has the least amount of tracktion.And the wether seems to not be stable in KC.I don't care where the race may be.AS long as the western SCers have a shot at competing in a SC/XR7 Shootout.

Thanks Randy

Ira R.
10-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Ya know, I hate to even suggest this, but in order to guarantee, if we even can, any kind of large gathering, we probabaly need to really anualize the damn thing. Now that really means same weekend, same track or geographic area each year. It's really hard to make vacation plans for "sometime next fall". Hell, for many, it's hard enough making plans for "next August".

But to be able to plan on going to Ohio on the second weekend in September next year, and maybe to Oklahoma the 3rd weekend of February, or Idaho the 2nd weekend in April would really help everyone make their plans.

At least I think so. Wouldn't it also make it easier to make accomodations with the locals knowing we are coming back each year?? I would think that as well. So what's wrong with going back to Ohio again??

Also, the numbers in the current poll are very interesting, but as Dave points out they are just an indicator of interest. If 45 people from the northeast say they are interested in going to Phily, that doesn't mean they won't all go to Ohio. Maybe we first need to try and pin down WHEN people will go. I am very willing to drive a couple of days to get somewhere at the end of Sept, for example, when my wife usually has to take her extra vacation time, then I am willing to drive late in August when I have family obligations and would have to work just to squeeze in the short trip to Philly.

Just my two cents. YMMV.

Ira

Birdman93
10-27-2004, 08:11 PM
Randy-

I've located one intake and planum-will grab them next week. Also-once I determine where my finances are, I might put up the cost of a new Magnaport supercharger for a raffle. Would be nice to have one of your setups or a new Magnaport.

Tony

Duane Thanks for the hats off.But I am not able to do this by myself .

I will need some members to help me out by donating two manifolds & two plenums.I cannot do this by myself.For a Stage I OR II Manifold-plenum.And one raised Stage III manifold-plenum.To be raffled off.XR7 Dave donated the
manifold plenum for the 2004 Shootout.I think that I have bumed all of Dave's
manifold -plenums.So we need some help from others to make this work.

Maybe t-bird 88 has a manifold-plenum to donate for a western SC/XR7 Shootout..Cough,HINT! www.texasthunderbirds.com has sponsored the Shootout every year.Not for sure ,but I don't remember seeing much support from SC vendors from the eastcoast, for the 2004 SC/XR7 Shootout.

And I will need to get the OK from David D. and SC/XR7 Shootout commitee.
And help from one of them, to sell tickets & handle the money,to do another raffle.

The last time I race at KC the track wasent as nice as Norwalk.But It is
a better track than the 2003 shootout held at the ST Charles,Mo track.
But KC track has the least amount of tracktion.And the wether seems to not be stable in KC.I don't care where the race may be.AS long as the western SCers have a shot at competing in a SC/XR7 Shootout.

Thanks Randy

XR7 Dave
10-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Idaho the 2nd weekend in April I don't think so. Not unless you plan on ice racing. :D

J/K. In all seriousness, we understand the need to lock in a date early. That is not only a concern for the participants, it's a concern regarding the track. Last year we put in our request for Oct 1st back in November, and we had the date confirmed in February of last year. Perhaps we didn't do as good a job promoting it as we should have. :(

Ira R.
10-27-2004, 11:37 PM
I don't think so. Not unless you plan on ice racing. :D

J/K. In all seriousness, we understand the need to lock in a date early. That is not only a concern for the participants, it's a concern regarding the track. Last year we put in our request for Oct 1st back in November, and we had the date confirmed in February of last year. Perhaps we didn't do as good a job promoting it as we should have. :(

I doubt that! I just went back and looked. 193 people took the time to give an opinion on where they think this thing should be. Hell, judging by the results, at least 100 of those voting could probably spend 10 hours on the road and end up meeting in the middle somewhere. But there weren't 100 people in Ohio, were there?? I know I couldn't go, and it had nothing to do with promotion.

But your point is well taken. People need to comit early. Maybe we are just too big to have one event, and maybe we just need to make that decision. Having one in September-ish east of the Mississippi, and one in March-ish west of the Mississippi makes some sense.

Or, maybe we just need to get the local clubs to host a "national" on some type of rotating, regular basis. I know there is nothing around where I am anymore, unfortunately, so I have to travel at least a couple of hours no matter what. So this year I'll go to Ohio, next year I guess I'll skip Vegas and save my money because the year after that I'm gonna tow the car to Houston. Or whatever. Hell if the SC Club of PA threw a local get together in Pittsburgh on the right weekend, we could still end up with 100 cars there.

But not living close enough to be of any help running something like this unless the people in charge have something I can do by phone, fax or mail, also means that I can't stand behind my words here, so maybe I should just sit down and be quiet for awhile.

<...damn rookies............>

Birdman93
10-28-2004, 05:26 AM
In the second week of April you would NOT be ice racing :D

Temps would be 60s-70s midday-and there's quite a bit to do in Idaho. What really would be fun is to take everyone on a cruise from Boise to Stanley on the Ponderosa Pine route-I can guarantee it would give any suspension a workout :D

SilverCasket
10-28-2004, 07:07 AM
and there's quite a bit to do in Idaho.
Munch all you want, they'll make more ! :p

It maybe a problem to have two events because sponsors may not be willing to foot twice the money in one year. Just a thought.

Anthony

Doug Franklin
10-28-2004, 08:42 AM
Most comprehensive list I found so far for any state:
http://www.racefanworld.com/u_s__track_directory.htm

I pulled information from this and some other sites for TX, OK, LA, etc around me to do some calling. Looking into NV, UT. Hope to get a TX-OK rivalry going with drag and auto-cross or some form of cornering.

MN12 Nats: Looks like they discovered what the bird does best, corner. If Nats are around Lorain then why not do an East SC Shootout with them at the same track same time and let them run theirs and you run yours and split the track cost? Looks like from previous years posts some continual persuasion needs to happen in the other club for a combination track use. NE will always be hard to beat in a poll. Of course some of us are pulling for this area for the Nats as well.

Randy, I have heard of another place called a number-points just North of DFW area. Maybe a track there I am not aware of. Otherwise 7-Points is a town in TX around Cedar Creek Lake where there is a 1/8 mile concrete strip called Cedar Creek Dragway. I have been there watching old MOPARS running. Some of these 1/8 tracks do 1/4 as well & have to check out.

Idaho along the mountains would work our suspension real good. Salt Flats top speed event? That would be cool. There are few strips in UT as well.

Wonder how many meets out West are combined with local TCCoA Chapters or other groups? Even if National TCCoA does not belly up if SC Shoot goes out West the local chapters probably need to be able to have their own event with our to make it afordable and use their help.

XR7 Dave
10-28-2004, 09:55 AM
In the second week of April you would NOT be ice racing :D
I'm sorry, ice fishing then? Hey I used to live out that way. No way I'd schedule a national event in April in Idaho. :p

Seriously guys, don't think for a minute that your opinions don't count or that anything has been set in stone. We are re-thinking our entire approach to this for next year. We have some of the best people in the community on the job and we think you will be pleased with the results. :)

Randy N Connie
10-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Doug yes the track that i was refuring to is all concrete 1/8 mile.They call it THE BEST LITTLE DRAG STRIP IN TX.At Cedar Creek Lake,tx.I remember it
as 7 points,because isent that were the the big oil boom started.the first wells were drilled in that area,Most pumps are gone the last time I raced in
that area.It is a fast track being all concrete,But hell on drive line parts.

It would be a great track if you want to test your half shafts axles.I only race there once.I never seen so many broken drive lines at a track.I just brought it
up because it is a cheap track to rent.No shade trees its all in the open.
We did not have another race there.The guard rails were to high,We only
race at tracks that the guardrails are lower that 3'' from the ground.

Randy

Birdman93
10-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Rocky Mountain Raceway, which is located on the west side of the Salt Lake City area, would be another good location, with easy access off of I 80 and plenty of hot rod shops in the area that would be only too willing to lend a hand-it's a good facility and centrally located for you westerners!! :p

Randy N Connie
10-28-2004, 11:25 AM
These guys from the east don't want to go and race to far west.Because they are afraid JIM Demmitt Will show up. :D :p :eek:

RANDY

Birdman93
10-28-2004, 12:00 PM
roflmao

If we're serious about having the MN-12 guys join us there's always Mid America Motorplex over by Omaha-Road Course and Drag Strip all in the same complex-that might be fun-running a road course one day and the dragstrip the next-and the guys over there are ALWAYS willing to rent the track out :D

Doug Franklin
10-28-2004, 03:28 PM
Randy your right. 7-points would be easy to rent. Nice cool place with no pressures. But I suppose everyone wants 1/4 mile. I swear that place could do it but I need to check. There is one in TX close to Shrevport, LA off I-20 I'm looking at and have a response on. Another in Temple and one around Lufkin. Motorplex has not responded. Don of Fordbastards had trouble there as well. Too big and nice of a facility I guess.

I hate to look into OKC just yet but they do have some nice 1/4 mile tracks. Everywhere but Dallas they advertise 1/4 mile. If Kenedale will do 1/4 mile for us then that would be closest to where I am. Heck it lets out into a landing strip as I recall. Again advertised 1/8. It isn't like we are a top fuel or something.

I always thought Yellow Belly was 1/4 mile and that is right next to Dallas. I think they say 1/8 to IHRA or NHRA rules, but really they could do 1/4 mile if rented. Still checking. Don't know what happened to Greenvalley.

Someday I have to have a Salt Flats experience. There is an SC owner that would help in SLC. Long day drive from L.A. and 21 hrs from Dallas. Or why not all of us do that run in Montana or some place where they run down an Interstate Hwy wide open between to towns and timed. Forget what it is called but people build rods just for that event. Is Rocky Mountain Raceway the old Bonneville Race track? Been there if it is. Raod race track incorparates the drag strip as I recall.

lube70
10-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Another option is that we have TWO this year. One in East coast and one in West Coast. This way, everyone will be able to attend one of the two. The logistics could be worked out during the beginning of the year. We could tabulate the times and dyno numbers and calculate the winners nation wide later.

Just food for thought instead of the big choice.

Hell, we can poll that idea as well.

This also should be left to the committee running the events.

Don

FearThis SC
10-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Another option is that we have TWO this year. One in East coast and one in West Coast. This way, everyone will be able to attend one of the two.
I understand what your saying, but realize that those folks that live in the central part of the country would be driving over 1300 miles to attend one of the two, depending on the location.

Not bashing your idea but the OKC meet was, from what I've heard, the best National meet to date.....and it was centrally located!

XR7 Dave
10-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Don, did you get my email?

SuperCoupe007
10-29-2004, 07:33 PM
I am in Los Angeles California. I know that I would have to travel East so that we could get more SC's out there. Right now its hard to say how far I could drive, but right now i would say an 8 hour trip or so sounds good right now.. Who knows maybe with time i might be able to drive another hour or so... :)

tim
10-29-2004, 09:01 PM
I liked Saint Louis.Its close enough for the east coast guys and the midwest guys. I cant see guys from the weat coast comming unless its way west. Just my two cents.By the way what ever happened to Kelley?

Randy N Connie
10-29-2004, 10:34 PM
St Louis would be to far for me. :) I don't know if I could afford to buy that much gas.Randy

ThunderDave
10-30-2004, 04:17 AM
I'm sure a lot of people would like to have it as close to them as possible. Some don't want to drive as far as might be needed and don't have the option of trailering either. For me, the east coast would be better, but I know that would affect how many Scers could make it from the west coast. Geographically speaking Kansas or Missouri is about as central as you can get.

So as much as I'd like to have it as close to me as possible, I would think it's in the best interest of all concerned to keep it in a central location. If it does end up in Pennsylvania, I can always make that trip, my wife has friends up in Shippensburg. Might make Carlisle next year too. :D

David

kenshi
10-30-2004, 08:25 AM
There is one in TX close to Shrevport, LA off I-20 I'm looking at and have a response on. Another in Temple and one around Lufkin. Motorplex has not responded. Don of Fordbastards had trouble there as well. Too big and nice of a facility I guess.

I live less than an hour from Hallsville, a little over an hour from Red River Raceway, and less than two hours from Lufkin. If you need someone more local to check them out, give me a hollar. I ran my 17.0 in my LX at Hallsville. It does seem to be a fast track.

BLOWN38
10-30-2004, 10:19 AM
I drive from OH to Daytona to watch the AMA race, and prolly would have made it to the shootout this year if i found out about it earlier, thats my fault not the advertising of the event. So driving is not much of a problem. I would go to tennessee or atlanta area too. But it is in best interest to get the date as soon as possible so everyone can plan on it. Although it will be more expensive in gas for the bird seeing as it takes premium and the truck uses regular. I definatly what to be there next year!

XR7 Dave
10-30-2004, 10:59 AM
I live less than an hour from Hallsville, a little over an hour from Red River Raceway, and less than two hours from Lufkin. If you need someone more local to check them out, give me a hollar. I ran my 17.0 in my LX at Hallsville. It does seem to be a fast track.

Hallsville is notoriously fast. More than likely downhill or a little short. ;)

Doug Franklin
10-30-2004, 12:11 PM

Go ahead and look into all of them if you want. If nothing else for the TX-OK crowd. Hallsville responded by email right away. I want to go see the strip in Noble and talk to the Oakies more. :D I am surprised at how many strips are in LA & MS as well. I have to go to Tulsa soon so want to get together with them. There is a raod race track just out of town that I believe is affordable and a strip somewhere around there. Can't remember names. I have track file, belive I will post in chapter so we can use it for local events if group wants to.

Start 2 lists one for drag and the other road or a place to do auto-cross: As I get more active maybe influece SHO boys off back roads and on to tracks with a more variety of twisty tracks before someone gets hurt.

Doug Franklin
10-30-2004, 12:21 PM
I drive from OH to Daytona to watch the AMA race, and prolly would have made it to the shootout this year if i found out about it earlier, thats my fault not the advertising of the event. So driving is not much of a problem. I would go to tennessee or atlanta area too. But it is in best interest to get the date as soon as possible so everyone can plan on it. Although it will be more expensive in gas for the bird seeing as it takes premium and the truck uses regular. I definatly what to be there next year!

Maybe I should have voted for NC since I have a SC stuck in VA and kids live there. Seems VA would be a good compromise for all East Coast some time. If this thing goes East guess I will get the engine in that car and use it even though stock and AOD. Won't have to drive out, just back.

OzzManG149
10-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Doug Im getting ready here in just a few minutes to go to Thunder Valley Raceway in Noble to take some pictures. I went down last night and meet with the track manager and the track owner to get some info form them. Ill post them up as soon as I get back. :D

Go ahead and look into all of them if you want. If nothing else for the TX-OK crowd. Hallsville responded by email right away. I want to go see the strip in Noble and talk to the Oakies more. :D I am surprised at how many strips are in LA & MS as well. I have to go to Tulsa soon so want to get together with them. There is a raod race track just out of town that I believe is affordable and a strip somewhere around there. Can't remember names. I have track file, belive I will post in chapter so we can use it for local events if group wants to.

Start 2 lists one for drag and the other road or a place to do auto-cross: As I get more active maybe influece SHO boys off back roads and on to tracks with a more variety of twisty tracks before someone gets hurt.

OzzManG149
10-30-2004, 02:20 PM
Thunder Valley Raceway pics. These were taken today at the Ford VRS Buick event.

http://members.tccoa.com/ozzmang149/TVR2/startingarea.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/ozzmang149/TVR2/topviewtvr.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/ozzmang149/TVR2/tvr1.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/ozzmang149/TVR2/tvrstaginglanes.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/ozzmang149/TVR2/tvr%20staging%20lanes2.jpg

OzzManG149
10-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Here are the pit and concession area's.

http://members.tccoa.com/ozzmang149/TVR2/TVR%20paved.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/ozzmang149/TVR2/TVR%20paved.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/ozzmang149/TVR2/tvr%20unpaved%20pits.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/ozzmang149/TVR2/tvr%20concession.jpg

8ate8
10-30-2004, 06:54 PM
I guess I'm spoiled with englishtown being the track that i always go to. it's massive, and i see all these pics of these little drag strips.. makes me feel bad for you guys :)

Doug Franklin
10-30-2004, 06:59 PM
He isn't all that far from TX Motorplex. , but affordable. Good Pics Scott. Now we need to get some guys from down here and Tulsa there.

XR7 Dave
10-30-2004, 07:22 PM
I guess I'm spoiled with englishtown being the track that i always go to. it's massive, and i see all these pics of these little drag strips.. makes me feel bad for you guys :)

I've run at Englishtown. I don't see what difference it makes how big the place is as long as the return lanes aren't gravel. LOL

Randy N Connie
10-30-2004, 07:24 PM
What is the rent for Englishtown,plus EMS , track help & insurance.
And a roll back to load my sc on after the race to get back to the
pits.

Thanks Randy

Darkside
10-30-2004, 07:44 PM
Well don't. I pay 10 bucks to race all day and can get as many runs as I want, how about you? I think the track in OK looks great. Will look even better if it's cheap. :)

OzzManG149
10-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Dont feel bad for me... lol I like the affordabilty of the track... I pay $15 for TnT on Friday and take my military discount off that and i pay practicly nothing to run my car. They also hold a regional NHRA Top fuel event there every year and today the Ford VRS Buick Shootout. I like my little back woods track. Not to mention I can run my car till im tired and dont have to wait 2 hours to do it.. The NHRA event brings a bout 500 cars to race on a 3 day event fso for a small track it can handle big time events with ease. Back in the day they used to run the NHRA Nationals here with the likes of Kenny Bearnstien and John Force..

http://members.tccoa.com/ozzmang149/95SC/Burnout1resized.jpg

kuhnga
10-30-2004, 08:45 PM
I am totally amazed in how many people actually particapated in the poll, pretty cool.

Ira R.
10-31-2004, 01:35 PM
I am totally amazed in how many people actually particapated in the poll, pretty cool.

Yea, now if we can figure out a way to get them all to the same place at the same time, it would be one monster event!!

Jim Demmitt Jr
10-31-2004, 11:37 PM
"I vote Nevada"
Just think VEGAS the lights non stop action.
The state of the art race track a good place for us West Coast SCer's to get to or Salt Lake City raceway

Rich1034
11-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Thunder Valley really isn't all that small when you consider the pit area is actually pretty big, the picture doesn't really do it justice. They also have 8 staging lanes. The pit area is bigger than some other tracks that I have been to, including big name tracks like Rockingham. The track is sticky, although during the heat of the summer, DA does go up to around 3000 ft. Durning the spring and winter, DA usually ranges from -400 ft. (November) to around 600 ft. (April). Last month though, DA was up to 2400 ft.

Pablo94SC
11-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Sparky (Dave D) made a good point about return lanes. I'm really spoiled with Memphis' long, wide turning return lane. You don't have to drop below 35-40 until you get your slip, so it saves so wear and tear on the brakes. Every time I went down the track at Norwalk, the end kept jumping up on me. *shrug*

cudaz101
11-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Paul,
Be the first with a parachute bro.... :D :cool:

Brad

Pablo94SC
11-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Oh man... that'd be sweet! It could have a picture of a naked girl on it. I'd deploy is randomly just to see the reaction on peoples faces. Now if only I could figure out how to make chaft look like donuts to throw the cops off my trail. :p

Doug Franklin
11-01-2004, 04:40 PM
I posted here or somewhere or talked to Don how it is so unusual to have so many 1/8 mile tracks around Dallas. Think Don hit the nail on the head (see below quote from TCCoA thread) about tracks in immediate Dallas area. TMS is Texas Motor Speedway in Ft. Worth (NASCAR). I heard they were putting in a 1/4 mile but it isn't here yet. Also tracks I swore were 1/4 mile when I was in High School in 60-70s are advertised as 1/8 now. One has a landing strip at the end of it making no sense to be 1/8.
From Don French who heads up DFW-SHO and Fordbastards clubs in Texas:
"Ennis has some deal with the NHRA that prevents anyone from building a 1/4 mile track in the DFW area. But I keep hearing their deal expires soon and at that point TMS can go ahead and build one out there. I've also noticed by checking their calender regularly that the big boys aren't having as many events out there as they did when the place 1st opened. Just me, but I think if the big boys don't like your track your done."

This makes sense because we have a federal law protecting DFW airport which made the area boom. Ennis track built during that era as Dallas Ft. Worth was nicknamed Metroplex, thus Texas Motorplex.

Also Don posted that their meet with Mustang club was terrible. Seems some recent track maintenance screwed things up.

I am still checking about one of these tracks doing a 1/4 though.

Darkside
11-01-2004, 05:00 PM
I guess Dallas might be a bad idea for right now huh? I thought OK was a better choice anyway. When is a decision going to be made?

Doug Franklin
11-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Kind of doubtfull BUT:

Well what you said to begin with of being a fun place and lots to do is true. Beside there are several other tracks where we may be able to do cornering or get up on the NASCAR track or something after the drags. We double up on 2 day events and sometimes 2 events in same day.

Wives and kids who don't like racing can go to 6 flags, water parks, or museums, ride horses, or State Fair if open then, etc, etc. All kinds of ball games in evening, or major leagues here, if you like that kind of thing.

But maybe OKC, Tuksa, Hallsville, TX close to Shrevport area, or Temple is better for now, if this area is selected. I still have answers to get on Motorplex and other tracks. Hope to know this week on that, but I don't make decisions either. I am just trying to help where I can, which is here for now.

Motorplex just oiled the track and they had some traction trouble. Probably a good time of year to do that, though. Nice facility. Wind at your back too.

David Neibert
11-02-2004, 10:29 AM
I've been to Thunder Valley....That's where we had the track portion of the 2001 MN12 Nationals. I thought it was a decent track.

Hallsville....wow I haven't heard about that place for over 10 years. I graduated High School just down the road in Longview, TX.

David

T@Sound-Xtreme
11-02-2004, 11:41 AM
i voted for nc but philly would be just fine, i cant really see myself driving to tx, as it would be like over 1500 miles, OKLAHOMA is like 1449.4 miles,WISCONSIN 1317.4 miles, and then philly would be good its like 600 miles i do believe.

Tyler

TBIRD1
11-02-2004, 03:50 PM
This will be my first time going to the meet if i have the motor and tranny done i have always wanted to go to PA but WI would be a lot closer to me I think it should be some where in the midle so every one can go PA would be a long drive from the west coast just my opion hope I get to go and meet some of u guys see ya
Nick

Jeremy_K
11-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Could we start another poll of "How far are you willing to drive to the shootout"? Also, what would be a tentative timeframe for us finding out the final location?

Rich1034
11-05-2004, 08:11 AM
I'd be willing to drive about 12-14 hours for a National meet, unless it was in NC/VA/MD, where I can visit my family while I'm there. There's no way I'm driving to the West Coast with the cost of gas out there :p

ZStang
11-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Too bad V6 Mustangs can't come to play. It'll be cool hanging with some other V6 fords. :)

SilverCasket
11-05-2004, 06:22 PM
They can come to play (with themselves) :p ;) :D J/K.

Anthony

ZStang
11-06-2004, 10:28 AM
Ha, y'all are skeered. On a side note, it would be cool to see you guys at the V6 Ford challenge. We'll be taking the heads up trophy back from the Turbo Probe guys :cool:

debo92sc
11-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Ha, y'all are skeered. On a side note, it would be cool to see you guys at the V6 Ford challenge. We'll be taking the heads up trophy back from the Turbo Probe guys :cool:

when is it???? :cool:

Treys92
11-08-2004, 04:07 AM
Why don't we just meet in the middle......uhhh wisconsin or rockford is close enough to the middle for me :D . I think there are a lot of midwest guys that would show up in wisconsin or rockford.

-Trey

V6Sprout
11-08-2004, 12:38 PM
when is it???? :cool:

here is the info on the V6FC race series

http://www.v6power.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=30

if you have more questions feel free to email me, I don't want to hijack this important thread with my race.

Randy N Connie
11-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Since this poll thread is turning into a v6FC ad.Maybe we should have the SC/XR7 SHOOTOUT on the same weekin.

RANDY

V6Sprout
11-08-2004, 06:58 PM
Dave was talking with me about that possibility, we have 5 races this year for the V6FC, one in Michigan again, one in Alabama, and the Florida, Texas and California events are still being worked out, tracks are being contacted now.

Sorry if this thread got highjacked, I tried to keep the V6FC questions separate thus suggesting them to email me or check out the V6FC forum on V6Power.net, I didn't want to take away from the SC Shootout info.

There is also a post int he SC Events forum on this site with info pertaining to the V6FC 2005 Race Series

over_charged SC
11-08-2004, 11:46 PM

My thoughts in the precise.

Doug Franklin
11-09-2004, 01:27 AM
Started putting together lists of race tracks in states around TX over in TX chapter in TCCoA since those guys want it so planning is easier. Found this new track in Tulsa with 1/4 mile and a road track is under construction. May not be ready for 2005 though. Don't know about Auto-cross or anything yet. Pics have some events by other clubs already. Not knocking Thunder Valley in OKC just glad to see a complex of road and drag at one location.
http://tulsaracewaypark.com/drag_racing/photos.htm

Thunder427
11-09-2004, 04:53 PM
you should have it in Syracuse NY in July we have the biggest classic car, hot rod show in the east... I think just over 6000 Cars were on display :) for a whole weekend Syracuse Nationals are bringing other seasonal shows we also have a dragstrip in a local suburb Esta safety park

over_charged SC
11-09-2004, 08:20 PM
eyeah, at the same time, I could ask why don't we have the shootout in Washington State. I wont suggest that 'cause I want to see a lot more faces at a meet, not just the local. I woulld have to go with a few of the other guys as far as a more central location like Texas, or Oklahoma. That's just me, but if you all just want to see your local club members, that's all good.

XR7 Dave
11-10-2004, 12:31 AM
eyeah, at the same time, I could ask why don't we have the shootout in Washington State. I wont suggest that 'cause I want to see a lot more faces at a meet, not just the local. I woulld have to go with a few of the other guys as far as a more central location like Texas, or Oklahoma. That's just me, but if you all just want to see your local club members, that's all good.

You make a really good point and I like your attitude. I wonder how many people share your opinion on the matter? Sure it's neat when the event is in your back yard, but if more people would make a vacation out of it and attend from a long distance they'd have more fun. It all adds to the excitment. From the past two shootouts that we have had I can assure you that the people who drove the furthest will say that they had the best time.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

Chase Power
11-10-2004, 01:09 AM
I believe that Dallas or Ok. City would be the best place for the best turn out. It is just like a lot of other people have said a central location. I am about to get my second super coupe. I dont have 2, but i had one a few years ago and drove it till it quit. The one i am about to get is a 1995 red with leather and 78,000 miles on it! (with a manuel trans!) So i certainly hope to be able to make it to this!

I am good with anytime, i am in college so if it were over the hollidays or on a weekend that would be great. I have never been to one of these so i dont know exactly how they work or how long they last but if some body would just make a time then i would find a way to be there.

over_charged SC
11-10-2004, 01:10 AM
You make a really good point and I like your attitude. I wonder how many people share your opinion on the matter? Sure it's neat when the event is in your back yard, but if more people would make a vacation out of it and attend from a long distance they'd have more fun. It all adds to the excitment. From the past two shootouts that we have had I can assure you that the people who drove the furthest will say that they had the best time.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)
The point is a simple one, and hopefully an easy one to understand. I would gladly drive to any central state, but going as far as New York, or Verginia (nothing against thes two, just listing as examples) for me would cost more than $800, + travel time, + over 3K miles. No thanks. What you have stated, and I hope that those reading this receive a clearer understanding that a central location will be by far more benificial than stuck on a coastline in BFE where not everyone can get to. Obviously, the next question is when.

gldiii
11-10-2004, 12:40 PM
The committee will open another poll once they are ready to decide on a location!

Thanks for you participation!!!!